• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Cost of living in Pune

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear all,
I'm about to get an offer to work in a famous Indian service company (contract job) in pune for a Junior developer position.
I'm currently living in Bangalore & holding a job in I.T
I want to know the cost of living in pune so that I can come to a conclusive decision about whether to accept the offer or not.
Also what about the exposure one can get there, as I'm in the nascent stage of my career.
Regards.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Being stayed in both cities, I can say:
Pune is as costly as Bangalore with lesser quality of life-interms of food,roads and traffic chaos.If you would like to go for independent house for rent, Bangalore is better than Pune.
In terms of total IT companies,Blr scores higher than Pune but many major Indian IT companies have presence in Pune.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by arr gem:
Dear all,
I'm about to get an offer to work in a famous Indian service company (contract job) in pune for a Junior developer position.
I'm currently living in Bangalore & holding a job in I.T
I want to know the cost of living in pune so that I can come to a conclusive decision about whether to accept the offer or not.
Also what about the exposure one can get there, as I'm in the nascent stage of my career.
Regards.

Some points while considering Pune:

1. Rental deposits are much lower than B'lore.

2. Rent for 2 BHK in a good locality would be around 10k. This does not include posh localities like Aundh, Kalyaninagar, Magarpatta etc.

3. Since Pune has many colleges (and so a large student population) finding PG, mess and other student-centric facilities is easier.

In short, living cost is lower or equal to B'lore.

AK

Ranch Hand
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My inputs --

(1) Cost of living is slightly lower or equal to Banglore.
(2) Quality of life is still *much* better in Pune as compared to Banglore. Banglore is incredibly crowded adn chaotic in Traffic - Pune traffic is chaos as well - but when I saw Banglore traffic, I knew Pune is better.

The perception also depends on your native place though, if you have spent all your life in Banglore or South India - adjusting to Pune culture and food may be difficult. Neither of them is relatively good or bad - just that our habits , and socio-cultural conditioning makes it difficult for us to adjust in such cases.

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

The perception also depends on your native place though, if you have spent all your life in Banglore or South India - adjusting to Pune culture and food may be difficult. Neither of them is relatively good or bad - just that our habits , and socio-cultural conditioning makes it difficult for us to adjust in such cases.

What kind of food do you eat. Now a days in Bangalore it is difficult to get good South India food. Only rotis and naan are available.

mara thamizhan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
so for a normal bachelor with no posh lifestyle what would be the monthly expenses in pune?

Ranch Hand
Spring Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Now thats depends upon the facilities like Accommodation , Mess , etc you got ..

This is my not much precise calculation ..

Accommodation - 2000 ( A good PG House, Or 2BHK flat shared by at least 5 members )
Food - (one time mess, well go around Rs 800 )
Transport - (If city bus is concerned, 600 monthly pass can take you anywhere in the city ).

Others stuff like hoteling, movies, GF , expense that's totally depends upon you !

So final figure , you decide !

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic