• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Deploying JSP in Oracle 8i - Any Benefits?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
Most vendors provide Application Servers to deploy Web Applications like JSP/Servlets and EJB.Oracle also provides deployment facility of these Server-side components in the Oracle 8.1.7 Database.Am curious to know, what are the benefits one would have, if we consider deploying web applications in the Database, instead of the Application Server.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,

------------------
Sandeep Desai
vgdesai@bom3.vsnl.net.in

1. Sun Certified Java Programmer Scored 93 per cent
  2. Oracle JDeveloper Rel. 3.0 - Develop Database Applications with Java Scored 56 out of 59
  3. IBM Enterprise Connectivity with J2EE Scored 72 per cent
  4. Enterprise Development on the Oracle Internet Platform Scored 44 out of 56

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am only guessing, but I would think that integration with the database and database performance would have to be easier/improved.
Do you know if this security issue has been resolved? http://www.safermag.com/html/safer33/alerts/26.html

Desai Sandeep
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dustin,
Integration and DB performance would come into picture when they talk about DB technologies like Java Stored Procedures, Java Triggers.I can even understand EJB's deployed in Oracle 8i for Performance benefits.They would want to take the advantage of storing the business logic as close to the database as possible, and probably avoid network-round trips.
Please correct me if I am wrong!!
But JSP/Servlets, being basically middle-tier technologies and targeted more as a HTML renderinh technologies, does it make sense to push them into the DB also?
Let me know your views on this.
BTW, I am not aware if that security issue has been resolved.You may visit the Oracle technet site for more information.
Regards,
Sandeep Desai
vgdesai@bom3.vsnl.net.in

2. Oracle JDeveloper Rel. 3.0 - Develop Database Applications with Java Scored 56 out of 59

5. [This message has been edited by Desai Sandeep (edited April 26, 2001).]

Dustin Marx
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Personally, I am more comfortable with having the application server handle all of the presentation side rather than deployment through the database. In the above message, I was just speculating on what might be some advantages of the latter, but I still prefer application server deployment. It just seems more natural to me.

Desai Sandeep
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Dustin,
Same here.However, Oracle has come up with a very good Java-XML solution called Business Component for Java(BC4J), which works on lines with EJB.I have personally seen the benefits of deploying EJB and BC4J, in the database.It gives you much better performance being closer to the actual data.
However, I am not very sure if the same kind of performance benefits would be there with JSP/Servlets in the Database.They are presentation technologies and IMO, should not be kept close to Business logic (i.e. the Database).The Application Server seems to be the best place for JSP/Servlets, since it inherently has the services required by the JSP's and the Servlets.
Thank you for your views.
Regards

------------------
Sandeep Desai
vgdesai@bom3.vsnl.net.in

5. [This message has been edited by Desai Sandeep (edited April 26, 2001).]

Dustin Marx
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I notice that the latest edition "Oracle" magazine (May/June 2001) features two articles on JSP (starting on pages 117 and 125 respectively). The article "Dealing with JSP" talks about some advantages of running a servlet (or JSP) in the Oracle Servlet Engine (OSE). The other article focuses on JDeveloper 3.2's "custom BC4J Data Tags" and is called "Tag Your Way to JavaServer Pages Application Success."
The URL for this magazine is http://www.oracle.com/oramag/

Desai Sandeep
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Dustin, I will have a look at it
If they have come up with some good reasons on JSP/Servlets in the database, then you would soon see other vendors following Oracle up.
Will let you know my views on this.
Regards,

------------------
Sandeep Desai
vgdesai@bom3.vsnl.net.in

Dustin Marx
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The interesting thing is that, according to the "Developing Web Applications with Oracle JavaServer Pages" article, Oracle9i Application Server Release 2.0 will allow OSE to run outside of the database in Microsoft's JDK. The article then explains some reasons you might choose to run OSE in either the database JVM or in the JDK.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The advantage is not in performance - after all, servlets and JSPs are instantiated once and then stick around for a fair while. Static HTML pages, images and the like are cached. In most cases it doesn't matter all that much where they are actually retrieved from.
The advantage is in maintenance. Oracle has a vision of the database as a superior filesystem - safer because of its security, transactional and crash recovery features, better organised because of the versioning, auditing and indexing features.
Specifically, anyone with access to the database can update a JSP page from anywhere. You could have a trigger which automatically archives the previous version. Etcetera.
(Note, I'm just stating what I understand of Oracle's vision; I'm not sure if I'm buying in to all of this).
- Peter

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
those are pretty interesting links about bc4j that you posted here Dustin... thanks!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic