• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Lodging Complain to Jakarta-Tomcat

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The complains regarding tomcat configuration to run Servlets and JSPs is day-by-day receiving from lot of users who try to work with servlets/jsp's but they have to face severe problems with lot of headache for this purpose.
Can it not be possible to inform Jakarta administration to simplify the configuration of Tomcat (if possible utomatically) so that any learner of Servlets and JSPs can install it easily and use this technology to its better extent and can run on the road of web.
I have tried to configure it for hours but not succeded and totally fedup with all this process.
Kindly excuse me if I use the hard words. But I hope for your understanding.
Your comments please.
~Rashid
[This message has been edited by Rashid Ali (edited April 27, 2001).]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Who are you going to "complain" to? Remember that Jakarta is a free open-source software project. Nobody gets paid for what they do. It is not commercial software that is intended for general computer users; it is a reference implementation targeted to developers, who presumably will take the initiative to dig a little deeper. The main focus is on fixing bugs and providing functionality, not providing commercial quality automatic installation procedures. For that, you have to pay for a commercial product.
Very often, configuration problems are caused by using old, buggy releases. I have found that the latest Tomcat 4.0 beta 3 installs quite easily. Just unzip the zipfile, set the "JAVA_HOME" and "CATALINA_HOME" environment variables, and run "startup.bat". There's no excuse for not being able to figure out how the classpath is set, for example - a .bat file can be read line for line. There are no hidden, proprietary parts.
In a community of developers, it can't be a one-way street. It is reasonable to expect everybody to contribute and to make efforts to learn, as well as to receive help from other developers - that's why it's all free. All the source code, documentation, and tools in Jakarta are available for download and inspection. If you don't understand a feature, you can read the source code. If you can provide a fix, a new feature, or an improved procedure, you can contribute it to the project and become part of the ever-expanding development team. This is a very different model than the vendor-customer relationship.

------------------
Phil Hanna
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform
Author of :
JSP: The Complete Reference
Instant Java Servlets

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Let me start by saying I love Tomcat and open source anything.
I run Apache and Tomcat with PostgreSQL on Linux. They have a very loving relationship, although I have had minor confusions in the configuration process and even found minor mistakes and/or ambiguities in the documentation.
Just yesturday I was thinking how much nicer it would be for most users to have some sort of GUI for configuration instead of having to go through the .xml files. (How intimidating is that the first time?)
Since Phil got us on the subject of Open Source, (which is directly related to Tomcat, and therefore indirectly related to JSP/Servlets, or something ) I thought this article was quite thought provoking.
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/01/12/index3a.html?tw=commentary

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I just spoke with a representative for Caldera Linux and he informed me that there latest version of Linux eServer is going to come with Tomcat preconfigured to work with Apache. Although I don't share the opionion that Tomcat itself is difficult to configure, getting it running well with your favorite Web Server can be a nightmare. After spending two days getting it to work on Red Hat (successfully) and another one on Solaris (unsuccessfully) it's great to see that we can now get an operating system with apache and Tomcat preconfigured and ready to go straight out of the box.
By the way, he said it would be ready to ship early to mid-march.

Rashid Ali
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Phil Hanna, Andrew Shafer and Holmes
I thank you very much for your comments specially to Phill Hanna whose message is an eye-opener for me. Certainly after going through to his message I am really very sorry for my posting i made to Jakarta unknowingly who is really doing very good as i come to understand through Phill's comments.
Actually this was due to the problems I was facing to install tomcat for about more than 1 week but could not go through due to just a little mistake that i did not set the memory configuration as my computer is working under Win98 that why my all efforts were useless. But yesterday I got successfull in getting it worked for me after setting the memory in dos.
Dear all sorry for my message and thanks again for your kind comments you posted here.
Kind regards
Rashid
[This message has been edited by Rashid Ali (edited April 27, 2001).]

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic