• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

accessing classes to make system calls as a certain user(ie not apache) on solaris

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello
Basically what I want to do is write a servlet that outputs a wml page that will tell me if I have new mail or not. The problem is that all servlets are run as the apache user instead of as me so all processes will be run as apache processes, ie 'frm -S -q' will say whether apache has been mailed anything and not me.
To solve this I do not wish to save the relavent information to a file and have apache access the file, I want the servlet to pass a string to a class run by my account and this class will return a string with the proper results. I do not have access to sockets on the system, but the class wouldn't really be remotely accessed anyway.
What I want to know is the way(if there is one) to comunicate between classes if they're not compiled together or part of the same package or even owned by the same user. I've looked at using Objectoutput/inputstream but it seems to use an intermediary socket which I don't have access to.

Thanks,
Brendan

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I don't know how you can fool the system but why not use the Java Mail API to talk to the mail server?
Bill

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic