• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Setting a header

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Any idea on how to set a header in the response object? The obvious answer is the setHeader() method, but it doesn't seem to work. I use RequestDispatcher.include() to get to the second servlet, I set the header there, and it returns to the first servlet. When I use the containsHeader(name) method, it returns "true", but when I print out getHeaderNames(), my new header is not there.
Any thoughts?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As I understand it, a servlet that's included cannot make any changes to status codes or headers; they are ignored.
The spec and the api docs confirm this.
From the javadoc for RequestDispatcher.include():

The ServletResponse object has its path elements and parameters remain unchanged from the caller's. The included servlet cannot change the response status code or set headers; any attempt to make a change is ignored.

Ken Pelletier
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As I understand it, a servlet that's included cannot make any changes to status codes or headers; they are ignored.
The spec and the api docs confirm this.
From the javadoc for RequestDispatcher.include():

The ServletResponse object has its path elements and parameters remain unchanged from the caller's. The included servlet cannot change the response status code or set headers; any attempt to make a change is ignored.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic