• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

mapping roles to users in declarative security

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
It seems from what I have read so far, the J2EE specification does not include a standard for how users are authenticated and assigned their role. Is this container specific? For example, if I have a table of users in a database how do I configure my web application to use those to determine the users role?

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There is another layer of indirection between users in the 'authentication mechanism' and the roles in the J2EE container.
Users are entered into the authentication mechanism (LDAP, database, whatever), then they are associated with roles that also exist within the authentication mechanism (I'm just going to say LDAP from now on).
On the container side, you define a list of functions, then assign those functions to roles that still exist only in the container.
Now you can provide a many to many mapping between the container and LDAP roles. Idealy they would exist as one-to-one, but this isn't necessary.
You can still associate container roles directly to LDAP users, but the advantage of the other way is that it provides a distinction between the roles that the container is interested in and needs to maintain (ie you only have to worry about how roles map to functions) versus the roles that LDAP maintains (ie user to role mappings)
At least this is the way I've always done it and find quite useful.
Dave

Matthew Phillips
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I just do not seem to be able to wrap my mind around this, so let's try a concrete example. On one end, I have a database with a list of users. On the other end, I have a web application with each web resource associated with a role in the deployment descriptor. As the developer I want to make sure that a form based login can be tied to the database to authenticate the user logging in and assign the user to one of the roles defined in my deployment descriptor. Is this something that the container handles or do I need to handle it in my code?
[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: Matthew Phillips ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You need to configure the server. Tomcat, for example, has a config file tomcat-users.xml where you associate a user with a role:
<user name="user1" password="pw1" roles="role1, role2" />

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Calina Cazangiu:
You need to configure the server. Tomcat, for example, has a config file tomcat-users.xml where you associate a user with a role:
<user name="user1" password="pw1" roles="role1, role2" />

Actually, that's just one of several Security Realms that Tomcat supports. I use the jdbc realm, where the server.xml file points to a jdbc datasource and table info that is used to lookup userids and passwords for verification and returns the user's security role.
As David mentioned, there can be a one-to-many mapping on roles, just as there is at the JavaRanch (where the roles are "greenhorn", "ranch hand", "bartender", "sherrif"). So given a role, you can't unconditionally map back to a user.
Now of course, if the app KNOWS that a role is (allegedly) uniquely related to a user, it can be written to manually do a reverse lookup using the security database, but that's not something that you can do univerally.

Calina Cazangiu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Cool!
Are other ways to assign a role to a user?

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic