• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Jar file packaging issues

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
We are building a very large software system with multiple Java servers. We are not using the EJB component model.
My question is this - I assume there are issues to consider when packaging our code into Jar files for deployment and I'm trying to find some good resources for making appropriate decisions:
- What is the penalty for including unneccessary classes in Jar files? Another effort here went with the "one huge jar file with everything under the sun" concept but that seems inefficient.
- How have others handled the issue of installing patches that "override" functionality in the existing deployed jar file. We'd like to be able to install patches as jar files that can easily be backed out.
- Is there a way to provide "override" jars without explicitly modifying the classpath each time (write our own classloader?)
I'm not looking for answers (but that would be ok if anyone has any!), just some suggested resources for further reading. We had these issues licked with our previous C/C++ systems (not that I'd like to go back there...)
M

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Most jar files are probably less than a megabyte, mine are about 300K, and I put them up on the intra net and force each user to download it on to the C:\ drive at the start of each session with a little batch file.
Each software revision overwrites the older version, though I do keep the older version under a different name just in case my updated version has problems. Next time the code is run it will be from the updated copy.
I used to run each user from the intra net copy itself but I could not update that copy without killing all users.
It works for me!
Ed
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic