• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Multipage editor

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Because I never get to use Java at work, I've decided to work on my own project at home. A portion of it will involve being able to create/modify/save multipage documents. The documents will all follow a basic table-like format (more like a form I guess), but which can be modified in certain respects (i.e. # of rows). The number of pages will vary as well.

I have searched for examples of multipage editors (in Java) and have not come up with much. I found an example in Eclipse, but not being an Eclipse user I haven't been able to get it to run properly. Every time I try to "Run" it according to the instructions, it just opens another instance of Eclipse....
I'll probably try copying the code into another editor and try it from there.

If anyone knows of other similar examples they could point me to, or even places to look, I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks,

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The Eclipse thing you're looking at is a "plug-in" -- an extension to Eclipse itself, which provides the framework in which the editor runs. When you "Run" a plug-in project, Eclipse launches a new Eclipse with the plug-in installed in it.

When you're all done developing the plug-in, you (or anyone else) can install it in your regular Eclipse instance, so that it's available any time you start Eclipse.

Make sense?

Michael Cleary
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, that makes sense. But the example is one of the examples that comes w/ Eclipse. When I first opened the example, it said it needed to be installed, so I let it install it. I obviously don't know enough about Eclipse...

Thanks,

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Eclipse is an awfully good framework for building editors and editor-like things. If I were you I'd head over to our Bunkhouse, look at the reviews of some of the available Eclipse books, and get ahold of one that sounds good to you. If you're serious about your project, this would be a really good way to do it.

Michael Cleary
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I made a quick browse of the Bunkhouse, and so far I like the look of the "Step by Step" book on Eclipse. I looks like a good place to start anyway.

Thanks,

It's weird that we cook bacon and bake cookies. Eat this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic