• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Psychology Test

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I had a case study at MBA on the subject OB (Organizational Behavior). I found it very interstng - hope you enjoy it as well....
THE CROCODILE RIVER CASE
------------------------
A lady named Abigail was in love with Gregory. They live beside a river that was full of crocodiles. They lived on the opposite sides of the river, but there was bridge; so they could cross the river and see each other often.
One day, the bridge was blown away with flood. Abigail tried cross the river to see Gregory, but she couldn't. So she requested a river-boat captain Sinbad to take her to the other side of the river. Sinbad told her that he would do so if Abigail go to bed with him. Abigail denied and complained to her friend Ivan; he just listened and did nothing. Being desperate, Abigail agreed to Sinbad's proposal and Sinbad took her to the other side of the river.
After seeing Gregory, Abigail told him about her incident; Gregory immediately left Abigail. Abigail got angry and told her misery to her friend Slug. Slug became so angry that he brutally beat Gregory. Then Abigail laughed at Gregory.
Q. Sort the 5 persons putting most objectionable person on top and least objectionable at the bottom.
My ordering was
1. Gregory
2. Sinbad
3. Ivan
4. Slug
5. Abigail
So... what is your choice? care to explain them?

"The Hood"
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Interesting. Kinda made me think. It is REALLY difficult to make these sort of decisions based on so little information. There could be ALL SORTS of additional motivations that are not being told here. However based just on what is being said - I would have to go:
5. The least bad has to be Ivan. He didn't do anything wrong - and he WAS willing to listen. For all we know he was a quadraplegic and just was not capable of doing anything to help. We don't have enough information to make an opinion about him.
4. Next is Greg. He left Abigail because she was not faithful to him. She sold her morals for the price of a boat trip. Frankly that was "just cause" even if she DID just want to get to Greg. Other than that Greg did not seem to do anything to question.
3. Slug resorted to physical measures which is not the best approach. However he did it in defense of a friend that he apparently felt was wronged. So it appears that he is standing up for his convictions (which is more than Abagail did).
2. Sinbad did try to take unfair advantage of the situation, but he left it up to Abagail. She could have continued to say NO, she just didn't. And Sinbad did follow through on his agreement after the fact.
1. The worst by far and away was Abagail. She was unfaithful, she was impatient (didn't seem to want to see if Greg could find a way to come to her), and she LAUGHED at someone who was wronged by her and was beat up because he acted on his ethics. All in all a sad situation.
The hardest to align were 2 and 3. Which is worse, tempting someone to do somethin immoral, or resorting to physical measures in a "good cause"? Neither is good - but with this little information it is hard to decide which is better.
So to put it in your order:
1. Abagail
2. Sinbad
3. Slug
4. Greg
5. Ivan
[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: Cindy Glass ]

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree with Cindy. One wonders why Abigail didn't talk to Slug about Sinbad. And what was Ivan supposed to do? Gregory acted decently. Would you want to marry a woman who is stupid enough to sleep with anyone just to get what she wants?

Ranch Hand
Scala Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i like cindy's ordering also. abigail sounds the worst. at the very least she could have just kept her mouth shut.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1. -
2. -
3. Abigail, Gregory, Ivan, Sinbad, Slug (alphabetically sorted)
4. -
5. -
Btw, why didn't Gregary ask Sinbad to take him to Abigail's side?

Thomas Paul
mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Melvin Menezes:
Btw, why didn't Gregary ask Sinbad to take him to Abigail's side?

Maybe he did but Gregory turned him down.

Cindy Glass
"The Hood"
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh my!!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Abigail, Gregory, and Sinbad should have done it threesome. Ivan and Slug could have watched it. Problem solved, and no one behavior is objectionable.
Eugene.

Wahid Sadik
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Man.. you are so tough ... may be your are more practical.. actually the case has nothing to prove..
interestingly, the case was for the whole group and our group decision to more likely the one I gave you.
See you all guys

Ranch Hand
MySQL Database Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Sadik,
My ordering is like this (from worst to best - what would you call it descending or ascending?)
  • Gregory
  • Ivan
  • SinBad
  • Slug
  • Abigail

•  
    Cindy Glass
    "The Hood"
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    But WHY?? What makes you think that Gregory was so bad, and what makes you overlook Abagails lousy behavior?

Thomas Paul
    mister krabs
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Abigail has sex with a stranger and then laughs when her ex-boyfriend gets beaten up. All poor Gregory did was have some morals. Maybe he didn't want to get AIDS from a woman who apparently will sleep around to get what she wants.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic