• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Tough time w/ class program

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello all ~ I am in need of some assistance with a class program. The problem is that I do not know where the problem exists. I have implemented a comparable interface and have set some fields as to the program requirements. I was given code to a class called Sorting, that will sort any item that implements my comparable interface; I believe the most practical way for me to receive some assistance is through e-mail. I can send the program and the program requirements --in hopes of receiving some explanation to what the problem might be. I could post code, but it is rather lengthy and like I said: I not sure where the problems exist.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!!!

--I just want to get this thing working properly and "understand" where my mistakes have been.

Thanks for your time

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
http://faq.javaranch.com/java/UseTheForumNotEmail

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
[John Scuro:]   I am in need of some assistance with a class program. The problem is that I do not know where the problem exists. I have implemented a comparable interface and have set some fields as to the program requirements.

What problem ?

[John Scuro:]   I was given code to a class called Sorting, that will sort any item that implements my comparable interface. I could post code, but it is rather lengthy and like I said: I not sure where the problems exist.

Post the code, be SURE to use the code tags. I have tested the waters, it is your thread of discussion and the ONLY time I have ever seen anybody say anything about an overly large code post was when someone pasted several hundred lines of what amounted to the entire dataset and could have been inferred from the first and last ten lines. Don't post the code that you were given: post the code that you try to write.

[John Scuro:]   ...fields as to the program requirements.

What fields, what requirements ?

I just want to get this thing working properly and "understand" where my mistakes have been.

Okay, but we don't do homework.

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by John Scuro:
... The problem is that I do not know where the problem exists...

Welcome to JavaRanch!

How do you know there is a problem? What are the error messages? What is it failing to do? Or what is it doing that it shouldn't be?

My guess is that there might be a problem in the way you implemented Comparable. If that's the case, maybe that's the only code we need to see. (As Nicholas suggested, please use Code Tags when posting code.)
[ November 25, 2007: Message edited by: marc weber ]

I'm thinking about a new battle cry. Maybe "Not in the face! Not in the face!" Any thoughts tiny ad?
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic