• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What do I do in my spare time?

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Those who have seen my bio and picture on the moderator page know that I do DanceSport (aka competitive ballroom dancing). The MIT Open Competition was held 2 weeks ago and they put the video of the top couples up on the website. You can view it at http://ballroom.mit.edu/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=mitcomp03_Movies.
I'm dancing in Smooth and Rhythm. Unforutnately, my regular partner was out of town so I danced with two friends of mine. (Normally you have one regular partner, and you dance routines you two have practied for years.) It was actually pretty amazing that we made the finals in the first place. (Latin and Standard has even better dancing to watch.)
--Mark

Sheriff
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
ok, I admit -- I was a little leery clicking on this thread from the title...
Very cool Mark -- I was impressed I only saw one collision -- not you guys though (lord knows if I were out there -- whew -- never mind). I catch that stuff on TV every once and a while -- I'm always pretty impressed.

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I play viola in a local community (volunteer) orchestra and a string quartet.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You don't have any spare time do you? Isn't midnight on Friday your best hour to study?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What spare time I have(not much, new wife, new house, new job...), I spend working on my golf game.
Pretty cool link Mark. I'll have to show my wife, we've been thinking about taking ballroom dancing lesson.
E

Mark Herschberg
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Rufus BugleWeed:
You don't have any spare time do you? Isn't midnight on Friday your best hour to study?

Yeah, it actually is... have I mentioned that before on this board or were you just guessing? Whenever I'm really stuck on a problem at work, if I have no plans on a Friday or Saturday night (especially if its cold or rainy) I like to go into work because I'm amazingly productive and can solve just about any problem then. Strange but true!
--Mark

Rufus BugleWeed
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You mentioned it somewhere on the JR, but not in MD. If memory serves me, I think Ilja asked, " What are you doing up at this hour of the night?"

Ranch Hand
MySQL Database Suse
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think you can tell from my bio what I like doing in my spare time. The picture is a little misleading though, can't see the beer and a tin of Copenhagen on the river bank!
Jamie "redneck" Robertson.
P.S. I was known as quite the dancer in University too. I'd pound back a case of beer and hit the dance floor like a 'bat out of hell'. Actually, I looked pretty stupid and they'd toss me out sometimes but, damn it, I thought I was the best and isn't that really all that matters.
[ April 21, 2003: Message edited by: Jamie Robertson ]

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am neither very smoothe nor do I have much rhythm. My Fridays I usually spend riding one of these, preferably going relatively fast and making a lot of noise.

I don't like that guy. The tiny ad agrees with me.
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic