• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Unable to match a regex

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm trying to create a fairly simple regex to match some text and am having a difficult time with it. In this case, there's a single form field in which the user may enter a name or they may enter both a name and phone number. If it's the latter, I need to break the two pieces apart to persist them properly.

So, for example, the following bits of text would all be considered "valid" inputs:

So I'd like to write a little bit of code that would identify the middle two cases and tear them apart. I'm running under the assumption that no name will actually have a number in it so any numbers that appear will be a phone number. Also, the phone number will allways be entered last and with one space between the name and the phone number.

Here's what I originally created:

Unfortunately, that never matches anything, even if I'm using an input that I think it should match. So to test if my regex was working, I changed it to just this:

For my input, I used "johnson 23412". This also fails to match.

What do I have screwed up here that my regexes don't seem to match anything, at all?

Thanks,
Corey

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The dreaded double escape.

output:

Of course, this is eating your "1", but that's the next problem to solve.

From the regex documentation, backslash section, Pattern class: "The string literal "\b", for example, matches a single backspace character when interpreted as a regular expression, while "\\b" matches a word boundary."
[ January 19, 2008: Message edited by: Bill Shirley ]

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One problem is that matches() only returns true if the entire input matches the expression. So "johnson 23412" dies not match "john", but it would jatch "john.*".

Also, most of your earlier regexes are matching a single letter, or single number. To match input with at least one number, try this:

To cover all three cases at once, I might try something like this:

You ought to ventilate your mind and let the cobwebs out of it. Use this cup to catch the tiny ads:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic