• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java on a Mac

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Ok, I KNOW it's not normal to be using a Macintosh to code, but I LOVE them (I'm a "mac person"), and have been using my iMac to complete the assignments in the Cattle Drive. So I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what are the cons (and pros if any, although I doubt it) of using a mac to write Java. So far I haven't come across any problems.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jessica Yazbek:
Ok, I KNOW it's not normal to be using a Macintosh to code, but I LOVE them (I'm a "mac person"), and have been using my iMac to complete the assignments in the Cattle Drive. So I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what are the cons (and pros if any, although I doubt it) of using a mac to write Java. So far I haven't come across any problems.

Jessica,
This is why Java is so exciting. I'm a "Mac guy", who several Years ago had to abandon the Mac as my sole computer and get a PC. Now with Java everything is neutral. The are no Pros or cons to using Linux, Mac, PC ect... I develop on Power PC 8500 and have an apache (Unix) web server. With Java It dosent matter. Ain't it great?
Derek

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I went through my entire CS degree and really didn't have to use a PC. There are some limitations, however, if your developing applets or applications on your desktop due to Apple's lagging on JDK complience. These days I use a NT box but it simply acts as a terminal since I find it easier to code in VI on a remote server. I hope this doesn't start a Mac vs Pc debate (I'm nervous about even saying that) because that discussion is completely subserviant to the quality of the code you produce. Ultimately, exploring a variety of developement platforms will benefit anyone
Sean

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Aparently Apple and Sun made an announcement at last years JavaOne conference saying that the NEW MAC OS will be fully java complient and will come with the most recent JDK already installed My house is a bit like a computer shop since I have my PC, may roomate's iMac and now we both have laptops for our jobs, mine an IGM Thinkpad T20 .. (love it! ) and hers is an iBook ... I have ben trying in vain to teach her to programme in Java using her iMac OS9 and have pretty much given up since the environment is os foreign to me .. plus she lost interest .. but I hope this plan Apple and Sun have will come to fruition cos to be honest I much prefer the Mac OS to windows or Unix ... plus the computers look funky!

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic