• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to put it all together?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have scrapped through a number of Java books including Just Java 2, and Core Java 2. Now I really want to put some of these ideas together into a program, but I feel that I don't really have knowledge of how to do this properly. I come from a VB background and find OOP confusing not in theory but in application. It's kinda like knowing how to craft lots of individual bricks but not knowing how to put it together.
Can anyone recommend a book or website that has a tutorial of how to put together a big application assuming you know a thing or two about Java?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Luther - I'm approx in the same boat, just one step (seat?) ahead. I've got Java Cookbook, Core Java2, Thinking In Java... all of which presuppose that you already know C++ or OOP, or that most Java beginners somehow *already* know some Java.... that must be the paradox of Thick Programming Books:
1- when you are just learning something, you are bewildered and ignorant.
2- as you become an Expert, you gradually forget your ignorance and bewilderment (likewise forgetting what it's like to feel that way).
3- the Thick Programming Books are written by (who else?) Experts who have forgotten.
OK - off my soapbox for a moment now... what I *did* find that has helped me tremendously is "Learn To Program With Java" by Smiley. It's like a Dummies book without the "humor".
His approach is a fictional account of a Java class that he teaches as they go through a semester project. Some "students" ask very basic questions while others ask questions reflecting more experience. There's a lot of repetition and step-by-step building.
The semester project itself starts with a single startup (1 main method) class/program; later chapters develop it into 4 more-encapsulated classes, etc. I'm on the inheritance chapter myself and at this point I must say, a lot of my initial java-bewilderment is now gone. A lot of the theoretical stuff now has a basis in coding. I'd say give it a shot.
God bless

Luther Adon
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks alot for the recommendation I would easily buy another book if it will get me out of this rut. Though I would rather just be able to go to a website. Thanks alot for the input I will run out and find that book.
Originally I thought that a book on design patterns would cover my sort of problem, would they help too?

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A study of design patterns would no doubt help in understanding object oriented design. Two decent free sources include IBM's developerWorks series of articles on the OO design process and Bruce Eckel's book Thinking in Patterns available as a free download at http://64.78.49.204/ .
John Smiley's book mentioned above is somewhat based on a basic SDLC (System Development Life Cycle) approach. Some links to information on this process, extreme programming, and the Rational Unified Process can be found in the Game Tutorials -->> Development Process discussion.

Dirk Schreckmann
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Other sites in my Favorites list that you might want to peruse include:
  • Design Methods - summarized
  • OOTips.org
  • Alistair Cockburn's site

• Good Luck.

Luther Adon
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Great! Dirk the Daring, my hero!

Dirk Schreckmann
    Sheriff
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    It occurred to me that you might want to check out the Putting It All Together trailof Sun's Java Tutorial.

Sheriff
    Android IntelliJ IDE Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Also -- the best way of putting it all together -- is to use it -- code it -- check out the JavaRanch CattleDrive!

Everybody's invited. Even this tiny ad:
    a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
    https://gardener-gift.com
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic