• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java Technical Tests.....

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
OK folks, I have one hell of a problem....
My job title, where I work currently, is that of a "Junior Software developer", and i'm supposed to be using mainly Java and XSL. The reality is that 90% of my time is spent using XSL - hardly any Java really.
I've been working at my current place of employment for nearly 2 years now.
My Java knowldege is just basic - I know the basic stuff, nothing flashy, and I consider myself to be competent in what I know (although the instructor's on the cattledrive may certainly know better!!).
Well, the thing is, because of my lack of Java involvment, i've been looking to move on, and have had 2 inerviews now, in the past 3 weeks. The thing is, I keep failing the interviews solely on my rather pathetic performance in the Java technical tests, which the potential employers give at the interview. The questions are just general questions, mainly basic stuff, with a bit of intermediate thrown in for good measure. Reading standard Java text books doesn't seem to help.
So, with this in mind, can anybody suggest a good book for swotting up on the types of questions faced in Java tests, or, resources or ways to make myself stronger at answering these tests.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :roll:

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would suggest USING a textbook instead of just reading one. Type the examples into a text editor and compile them. That's right, TYPE them. Don't use the already-typed code on the CD. This forces you to pay attention to the syntax and other details. Also if there are problems at the end of each section, pick a few and work them out on your own. Come here and ask questions if you get stuck with anything.
I believe that coding is the best way to learn how to code. Texts and the Internet are great help but are not substitutes for doing it yourself. If you can write fully-fuctional programs, then you should be able to answer any "begginer to intermediate" questions that an employer asks.
HTH
Layne

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree with Layne, you get the most benefit by actually solving programming problems. Another thing you could do is prepare for the SCJP certification test even if you aren't going to take it. You will need to do a lot of studying to be able to do well on the mock exams or the real thing. This kind of drilling is very beneficial when the pucker factor gets high like on the cert test or in a job interview. Drilling like this makes the knowledge 2nd nature. Good luck.
Ken
SCJP 1.4

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not really a reply more implements......
I have an exam(not certifiaction level) in a few weeks time. I am cross-training (sort of) within my company. I haven't got much time, but understand most of the details on the SUN Java training CD's I have been given.
Any suggestions for a book of explained practice questions. any other sites like this that give expalined quiz answers.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic