• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Notebook deals for Thanks Giving.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Well,
I am lookign for a good deal on Dell Inspiron, HP/Compaq or Fujitsu notebooks, within a couple of days, on thanks giving sale in and around the Bay Area, Sunnyvale, San Jose, Santa Clara.
Anyone know anything??
Shall we start this thread off as a posting on whats hot in notebook deals around Bay area and howto choose a good notebook?
My dream Notebook would be a
Centrino, 1.7GHz, 1G DDR RAM, 15" screen, Raedon 64-128MB Video, 802.11b/g Wireless LAN, 60-80GB HDD and the works.
Whats yours mate??

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
17" powerbook

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dell posts their new specials every thursday
You can get 5% off if you say you are a student, I don't believe any proof is required just go to higher education link purchases for students and staff
Their customer service is horrendous, but I suspect they are all like that now to cut costs.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
your "dream Notebook" is absolutely very desirable to me.
but i have to argue with the term "dream Notebook". with rapid development of computer technology, a very desirable notebook may become less desirable month by month.
a "dream car" or "dream house" makes more sense to me.
however, be careful here, as a young professional, you do not want to go for your "dream house" right away. first of all, you have not had enough family members to enjoy it.
secondly, from the viewpoint of investment, the best buy is "the worst house in the best neighborhood." other houses will bring your house's value up. something i think can be extended to other occasions.
so my definition of "dream Notebook" is something just meeting your requirement, with nothing fancy.
good luck with your notebook!

High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I just bought an Inspiron 5150 myself. Dell prices them "as low as" $X but once you get some add-on stuff that is really quite necessary (to me anyway), you end up at $X + 400, at least. I originally had the second battery, the internal wireless NIC and something else in there and I was at $2X in no time. To borrow from another current thread, fuck that. I'll get to find out how long I can tolerate XP Home too; I am not paying for XP Professional.
If you're looking to stand out in a crowd and put a serious computer in your lap, check this out. We just started re-selling these; there's a small trend among CAD designers, software architects, other professionals to demand 'mobility' as a job perk. They're good systems, albeit comparatively pricey.
Bought my sis an Mac notebook last year and she loves that thing. Have to admit, it's light, seems powerful, and I found a way bring up a real command line with no help, which made it a winner for me.
[ November 24, 2003: Message edited by: Michael Ernest ]

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by gautham kasinath:
within a couple of days, on thanks giving sale in and around the Bay Area, Sunnyvale, San Jose, Santa Clara.
Anyone know anything??

to my knowledge, between thanksgiving and x-mas, the sales is 50% of annual sales, for an average store. so i doubt you can get a good deal, even it is on sale.

gautham kasinath
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
well.. I cudnt hold it any longer..
went about to Frys elect. in Sunnyvale and bought the Fujitsu c2220.
The blokes at frys' wouldnt give me more HDD (80GB), eve if I am gonna pay for it, though..
So I have a P4 -2.4, 32MB Video, 30GB HDD, 256MB DDR, as of now.
I plan to upgrade it by the X-mas sales..
Any reviews/opinions on the C2220??
Cheers
Lupo

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
the frys i went to the most is on warm springs in milpitas. later they move to fremont, on osgood. my impression of frys is that is is always busy, you wait in the line forever to check out.
for best deal, you can also try other very small shops, sometimes you may get good deals.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dell website is a good place to test what to look for or expect when you are out shopping for laptops.
I bought a Dell Inspiron 8200 back in Summer 2002 directly from Dell - its a P4 1.6GHz with 40GB HDD, 15" UXGA TFT with 128MB NVidia 440 Go display card, CD burner, modular DVD and floppy drives. Earlier this year upgraded RAM to 512MB for less than $150, and now only problem is that the HD is 4200 RPM, which is effecting the overall spead, I believe.
My $0.02 worth advice would be to look for USB2.0, Firewire and build in Wi-Fi when you buy a new notebook.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
gautham,
I have the same problem. If I decided to buy something, I can wait much longer.
Anyway, some of you might find the following sites useful (US residents only)
www.fatwallet.com <<< Their forum is really good..
www.dealtime.com
www.bargainshare.com << again, forum...

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by <David Iowa>:

for best deal, you can also try other very small shops, sometimes you may get good deals.

i am not kidding, the only way to survive for those small shops is cheap price. since they only assemble, even there is quality problem, it is not their fault.

Would anybody like some fudge? I made it an hour ago. And it goes well with a tiny ad ...
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic