File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Agile and Other Processes and the fly likes Pair Programming Case study Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » Agile and Other Processes
Bookmark "Pair Programming Case study" Watch "Pair Programming Case study" New topic
Author

Pair Programming Case study

HS Thomas
Ranch Hand

posted by Illja:
Using google, I only found one paper - and that one seemed to be of a rather academic, hypothetical nature.

I think I've come across material as far back as 1979. They claim to be aspect-orientated.
If so, an aspect-orientated approach may come more naturally to some, probably at the expense of OOP, if you can go totally aspect-orientated with the new business requirements. I am , of course , pre-supposing.
Note I said OOP and not XP.I don't think this will affect XP that much.
Other than reducing the scope for re-factoring
, testing and hence design.But XP drives towards these goals anyway.

Depends what other issues that AOP raises. XP may yet live again in it's full glory.
Would component based development more naturally follow the aspect-orientation paradigm ?..
Any offerings on XP in a component-based development project ?
If we only knew what AOP was....looking for a good definition, there seems to be so many!
regards
[ June 15, 2003: Message edited by: HS Thomas ]
Ilja Preuss
author
Sheriff

It just occured to me that we have dramatically diverged from the original topic of this thread. Therefore I started a new one: http://www.coderanch.com/t/130250/Agile/XP-programming-paradigms
See you there!

The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny - it is the light that guides your way. - Heraclitus
Stan James
(instanceof Sidekick)
Ranch Hand

I've been watching this thread for days, and don't know why it just now occurred to me: Robert Martin has been running a whole series on pair programming and test first in Software Development mag. Some of it might be on-line. And Ron Jeffries has a series of "Adventures in C#" about lerning the language in a pair on XProgramming.com. The SD series is obviously made up - not a real diary, and I don't recall if Ron's focused on pairing, testing or learning C# but they might help.

A good question is never answered. It is not a bolt to be tightened into place but a seed to be planted and to bear more seed toward the hope of greening the landscape of the idea. John Ciardi
HS Thomas
Ranch Hand

Thanks Stan.
Is this the link you mean ?SD magazine
I guess it is. Managed to find Robert Martin's course.
Got Code Rot?
regards
Ilja Preuss
author
Sheriff

Originally posted by Stan James:
I don't recall if Ron's focused on pairing, testing or learning C# but they might help.

As far as I know, Ron doesn't fully know, either...
Seriously, I think it is about how XP practices like pairing and unit testing can foster learning, considering learning C# as example.
Stan James
(instanceof Sidekick)
Ranch Hand

Yes, that SD link has one of the Alphonse & Micah stories. Again, obviously made up with kinda cheesy SF overtones, but done as mentor & apprentice working together. Probably strongest focus on refactoring.

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Pair Programming Case study