It's not a secret anymore!*
The moose likes Agile and Other Processes and the fly likes Whats are drawbacks of Agile methodology? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » Agile and Other Processes
Bookmark "Whats are drawbacks of Agile methodology?" Watch "Whats are drawbacks of Agile methodology?" New topic
Author

Whats are drawbacks of Agile methodology?

Manoj Kumkumath
Ranch Hand

thought RUP was restrictive but probably the most 'agile' project i was on ( pair programming, test, test, test ) ended up a disaster because the core beliefs of scope, money, quality and time were forgotten. they thought mock objects and unit testing in groups of 2 would save them. the team ended up cnanging the tests more than the functional code.

David,
Just one question..
Was this a new application development or maintenance/enhancement of existing apps?
Ilja Preuss
author
Sheriff

Originally posted by Manoj Kumkumath:

David,
Just one question..
Was this a new application development or maintenance/enhancement of existing apps?

This reminds me of the saying that an XP project goes into "maintenance mode" from week two...

The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny - it is the light that guides your way. - Heraclitus
Ilja Preuss
author
Sheriff

Originally posted by Bert Bates:
Thanks Ilja. Looks like a good book, but kind of overkill at this point.

Help!

There is also a short list of characteristic in "Managing Agile Projects":

- routine, physical work (vs. dynamic, knowledge work)
- geared toward efficiency and repeatability (vs. adaption and reliability)
- quantity emphasized (vs. quality)
- robust in predictable circumstances (vs. unpredictable ones)
Ilja Preuss
author
Sheriff

Originally posted by Don Morgan:
(I can just see it now, a couple of people standing beside a crash site... "That test failed. I guess we'd better start work on the landing functionality next week!").

What would be wrong about that? I mean, besides the horribly high costs for those tests, because of the destroyed hardware? In "pure" software development, we typically don't have those problems.
Don Morgan
Ranch Hand

Besides the hardware loss, the wetware riding the plane is a terrific loss too!

You are right though, using some of the agile methods for developing an airplane does not make much sense - the software world is quite different.

Don Morgan, Founder
www.DeveloperAdvantage.com - FREE Audiobooks for Software Developers
Manoj Kumkumath
Ranch Hand

This reminds me of the saying that an XP project goes into "maintenance mode" from week two...

Let me make my question clear.
What I would like to know was that if that project already had a code base("legacy code" as per agile developers version), before they switched to agile methodologies? It was one scenario where i felt I was writing more mock objects and UTS than writing any code which provides the functionality to the end users. Trying find out if the project David talked about is in the same category.

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Whats are drawbacks of Agile methodology?