wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Ranch Office and the fly likes Moderator behavior Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » This Site » Ranch Office
Bookmark "Moderator behavior" Watch "Moderator behavior" New topic
Author

Moderator behavior

Jane Griscti
Ranch Hand

Paul said it best.
Personally I love JavaRanch and the mix of personalities; where else on the web would you find a Map or a Frank or a Carl or a Jim or a Cindy or a Thomas or a Johannes or a Marilyn or an Ajith or ... it goes on and on.
In the little more than a year that I've been participating on this site I've have never encountered anyone who hasn't done their best to be helpful or who has deliberately set out to antagonize anyone. That includes Tony. We may not always agree with each other (I've do doubt I've said things that have made others grind their teeth) but we respect each other and the thousands of people who visit here every day.
The opportunity to develop that mutual respect, in a medium that is as fluid as water, is a direct result of Paul's management approach. It may have it's risks but the Ranch is proof they are worth it.

Jane Griscti
SCJP, Co-author Mike Meyers' Java 2 Certification Passport
paul wheaton
Trailboss

∞

shailesh: I think the big thing here is a cultural difference. My impression is that you think JavaRanch is a very important institution. You think that the sheriffs are kings and queens of the industry who need to set a good example for the unwashed masses. The reality is that anybody can have a web site, this one just happened to get big. And we're not industry leaders, we're just geeks like you who like to help out.
I think your concerns are valid when you have us up on pedestals, but I would rather not have to rob a bank to have you think I'm just a normal goob who has a web site that people like.
I don't think any of the sheriffs want a spotlight that requires them to "behave properly at all times to set a good example for greenhorns." We just wanna bumble along and have a good time.
Jason: love the graphic. With your permission, perhaps a sheriff could put this on our server as www.javaranch.com/microwave.gif.
Angela: I'm mean, I'm mean, I'm mean, ya know what I mean? And sometimes I'm smart too? Cool!
Dave: sounds pretty on track to me.
Jane: You make me sound cool

permaculture Wood Burning Stoves 2.0 - 4-DVD set
Jane Griscti
Ranch Hand

Paul .. You are
Jason Menard
Sheriff

Originally posted by Paul Wheaton:

Jason: love the graphic. With your permission, perhaps a sheriff could put this on our server as www.javaranch.com/microwave.gif.

I wish that I were that creative. It actually came from http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/edoom/microwave.gif . I believe the guy who came up with it goes by the name of eDoom. I saw it on a sight called either www.smilie.com or www.smilies.com (can't remember and I don't want to surf to it at work ), which has tons of great smilies all categorized.
Paul Stevens
Ranch Hand

Thanks Jane
Marilyn de Queiroz
Sheriff

Originally posted by Paul Wheaton:
My impression is that you think JavaRanch is a very important institution. You think that the sheriffs are kings and queens of the industry who need to set a good example for the unwashed masses.

I don't think any of the sheriffs want a spotlight that requires them to "behave properly at all times to set a good example for greenhorns." We just wanna bumble along and have a good time.

My impression is that most of the visitors to JavaRanch think that "the sheriffs are kings and queens of the industry who need to set a good example for the unwashed masses", both by behavior and by more Java knowledge than the masses. Whether that impression is valid or not does not change the perception.

Whether or not the sheriffs and bartenders "want a spotlight" is irrelevant. The fact is that they automatically have a spotlight by virtue of the fact that they have the title after their name. Now you and I and anyone who has read this thread know what "bartender" and "sheriff" means. What about the other 100,000 visitors?

I don't think that "rules and regs" would help, but I do think that bartenders and sheriffs should be aware of the repercussive effects of their posts, intentional or not, and the responsibilities that go along with the privilages (moving posts, deleting posts, etc) of the "title".

Of course, now that I've said all this, let me say that I think that the people who are chosen as bartenders and sheriffs have already demonstrated an "awareness" of their actions and are generally responsible web citizens. That's one reason they are bartenders and sheriffs. On the other hand, they don't become less human when they acquire a title. Sometimes they need to express their humanity, their emotions, their sense of humor, their bumblings. Sometimes people need to be reminded that bartenders and sheriffs are not perfect people. (The previous sentence does not apply to Paul Wheaton. We all know he's perfect because he's the owner of the site. )

JavaBeginnersFaq
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that's why they call it the present." Eleanor Roosevelt
Paul Stevens
Ranch Hand

Marilyn
Had you left it all Paul like most of the others, I could have included myself in that too.
Nanhesru Ningyake
Ranch Hand

The Indiscretions of Tony (collected from various threads in MD)
Fans of P.G.W. will recognize the title Anyway, this collection represents Tony "letting his personality shine". This is not intended to be disparaging, but merely to showcase "his humanity, his emotions, his sense of humor, and his bumblings"... reminding all of us, that "bartenders and sheriffs are not perfect people". So deal with it, folks.
Karl Marx was an Idiot who passed off as an erudite scholar for a limited amount of time in history. He single-handedly screwed the World for a limited amount of time. It took us Americans (The REAL Chosen People) some time to correct the mistakes that this idiot's ideas caused world-wide, but TRUTH prevailed.
George Bush is the most idiot person we have ever had as president of the USA, says GOD.
... the ragheads palestinians who are actually celebrating ...
May the Taliban's "so-called god" have mercy upon them, because WE won't!
Genocide is not always bad. Sometimes it may be necessary and yes, if they do it's wrong but if we do it in self-defense, it's not.
... praying to his (pseudo) "god" ...
We will tolerate different (from mainstream America) groups , but not when they are too different. We are a sovereign country and we don't have to admit every idiot that shows up at the door.
TO THE TERRORISTS AND THEIR SYMPATHIZERS: YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK! GOOD BYE! Ha ha!
Are you American anyway, because if you're not, I'm wasting my time.
No one is qualified to lecture me. Well...
...the only entity who could potentially lecture me has not been proven to exist yet!
I edited your message to remove my name from it. You will not use my name without my written permission.
I suspect that the poster (who uses ATT as an ISP in the USA) was bored and wanted to "stir" the still waters...
However, do you know of any abuse by any Sheriff so far?
We ARE Afghanistan's saviors!
People like you are left wing anti American liberals and as such your so called opinions don't carry any weight around civilized people. And if you are an American then you kow what you really are.
You called me a Fascist so I deleted your post.
There's a better place for your anti American hatred other than in this American Forum which is open graciously to the International Java community. I personally ask you (me, not JavaRanch) to go elsewhere with your anti American plight.
Personal attacks are not allowed. Any problem with that??

And finally, to put things in perspective, this is a post from Shama Khan to Tony:
Tony,
When you get a chance to read this, do know that we are here with you in your grief. It is a great loss to the world when one human dies. Here we have lost thousands. It will be a great effort to get over this loss but we are with you through it all.
Shama

[This message has been edited by Nanhesru Ningyake (edited November 08, 2001).]

Pourquoi voulez-vous mon nom?
Jason Menard
Sheriff

Dude, let it die already.
Angela Poynton
Ranch Hand

agreed!

Pounding at a thick stone wall won't move it, sometimes, you need to step back to see the way around.
omar khan
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Angela Poynton:
agreed!

OK.
Let's move on, learn from past mistakes - thanks to NN for the historical research -and let's not repeat them in the future.
No hard feelings.
shailesh sonavadekar
Ranch Hand

Thanks for Understanding , Marilyn. The most sensible sheriff , indeed.

Yes , Omar , let us hope that it happens that way in future & the suggestions from visitors are not treated as jokes.
[This message has been edited by shailesh sonavadekar (edited November 08, 2001).]
Nanhesru Ningyake
Ranch Hand

Yes, let's move on. We've all learned something, and hopefully it'll make us better people. Amen.

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Moderator behavior