GeeCON Prague 2014*
The moose likes Architect Certification (SCEA/OCMJEA) and the fly likes What UML Tool(s) are you using for SCEA Beta Part II? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Architect Certification (SCEA/OCMJEA)
Bookmark "What UML Tool(s) are you using for SCEA Beta Part II?" Watch "What UML Tool(s) are you using for SCEA Beta Part II?" New topic
Author

What UML Tool(s) are you using for SCEA Beta Part II?

Dave Klein
author
Ranch Hand

UMLet was too klunky. I switched to JUDE Community Edition.

Author of Grails: A Quick-Start Guide
Burk Hufnagel
Ranch Hand

James,
I just discovered the watermark too. It would've been nice if they'd said something about it up front.

Ah well, c'est la guerre - or something like that. And, it is a nice trial app - with no limits to the number of classes, etc.

BTW, what's the program you listed in your last post:

TIA for the info,
Burk
[ December 10, 2007: Message edited by: Burk Hufnagel ]

SCJP, SCJD, SCEA 5 "Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" Agatha Heterodyne (Girl Genius)
James Jurach
Ranch Hand

It's from ImageMagick

James Jurach
Developer
SC{JP5,JD5,WCD,BCD5,EA5}
Michael Work
Ranch Hand

I agree that watermark is annoying in the community edition. I used Visual Paradigm UML community version and it has all the grey stripes when you try to print or convert to HTML.

So what I did is just try to fit my classes/diagrams into one viewable screen (it would be handy if you have a large screen!) and take a screenshot. Not bad, surprisingly I can fit all my diagrams (although have to split the class diagrams) into 15 inch
Shaumitra Ghosh
Greenhorn

Hey Guys

Sorry to include my question in this thread, but its related to almost same would appreciate your answer as nobody responded in separate thread :

[Question removed. See original post for the reason why.]
[ December 11, 2007: Message edited by: Andrew Monkhouse ]
Shaumitra Ghosh
Greenhorn

Hi Andrew and Other guys

I am not taking SCEA 5. I have taken SCEA part-1 in June. Correct my assumtion if i am wrong as asked earlier: SCEA don't take version into consideration right? Only thing while architecting i have to mention which version i am using?

I have one general question, would appreciate your answer for same, i am already working as an IT Architect in IBM have great intrest in Enterprise Architecture & SOA thats why decide to go for SCEA.
Q: How guys generally deliver their UML Blueprints of design to SUN, in form of individual gif files or generated html o/p for entire model file which is not supported in many modeling tool i guess. If i have to ask Sun the same can you suggest me what email address i should write? You guys might be doing the same for SCEA5 assignment.

Forgive me if am asking something stupid and intervening your discussion, but my original thread was been closed and unable to post reply as i don't have admin/moderator rights. Andrew i tried to send you message as well but your message box is flooded with messages already.
James Jurach
Ranch Hand

I ended up sparing the graders the entire frame-ridden "HTML Report" generated by Sparx Enterprise Architect. I suppose it could have been instructive to just get everything perfect for this exam from within EA itself.

Instead, I spent about 30 minutes whipping up a Perl script to disable javascript, to remove all the extraneous image map hyperlinks from the diagrams, and to flatten the directory structure of those HTML files and PNG graphics.

I'm so glad that assignment is over.
Jim Bethancourt
Greenhorn

NetBeans 6.0 was awful and slowed to a crawl once you got more than 10-15 classes on the screen at once for class diagram or component diagrams. I gave it plenty of memory and it still had terrible performance characteristics. I would definitely recommend against using Netbeans 6.0 for future. The round-trip engineering was great, though, and helped me think out the design between code and diagram, though some of their relationships didn't generate any methods like I had expected they would (like association relationships). The Java development was great, though, and was very helpful in pointing out what I was missing in my project. The only drawback there was that the Java EE 5 project was split into two modules and I had to copy my JSF backing beans into the EJB module in order to have all of my classes in the same UML model.

President, Houston Java Users Group (HJUG)<br /><a href="http://www.hjug.org" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.hjug.org</a><br />Technical Architect, <a href="http://www.romecorp.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">ROME Corporation</a>
Paul Michael
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by James Jurach:
I've given up on Poseidon. Besides the geometry bugs, it just seemed like there were too many bells and whistles I wanted to use which weren't available. For example, when composing my deployment model, the only UML symbol which I could place within a node was another node. and I wanted components within my nodes.

I've switched to Sparx Enterprise Architect which is looking very handsome right now.

I wanted to do that too. But Poseidon support directed me to this guide:

Component

Components in a UML 2.x Deployment diagram are not directly used by nodes. The type-level depiction of components occurs in the Component diagram, and the instances of these components are used by the Deployment diagram. This is most often done with the use of artifacts.

See Poseidon guide.

SCJP 1.2 (89%), SCWCD 1.3 (94%), IBM 486 (90%), SCJA Beta (96%), SCEA (91% / 77%), SCEA 5 P1 (77%), SCBCD 5 (85%)
Paul Balm
Ranch Hand

So this is an old post, but I'm sufficiently frustrated to add the following:

I was working with Poseidon all of last week (I actually got time off work to do the SCEA assignment 8) ) doing the class, component and deployment diagrams. I got stuck with the sequence diagrams. I've been trying more today, and I find that Poseidon is absolutely terrible for sequence diagrams. Their latest version is currently version 8, but all of their documentation is still on 6.0.2, which was working fine for me last week. And it's nice to have some documentation, especially since my IP address seems to be banned from their forum.

The problems with sequence diagrams in 6.0.2:
- Even if you start fresh with a new project, after a little while, you can't create new messages anymore. Enable debugging and you'll see the NullPointerExceptions fly by.
- In Poseidon 8, this problem does not occur, but this version insists that a message is sent from an attribute. If you want Poseidon to the operation name (getListOfProducts) then it will actually show this: "<attribute>.getListOfProduct()". And no way that you can get this <attribute> to disappear. Did I mention they haven't updated the documentation and I'm blocked out of the forum?
- Also in Poseidon 8: I did the operation names using free-text them. Crummy, and a lot of work, but it can be done. Unfortunately the GUI is a bit unstable so after a while I figured a restart would be a good idea. I saved my work, restarted the app and opened the file again: File corrupted.
- I've opened several support tickets on this and no response.

I'm using Visual Paradigm right now and so far, so good.

SCJP 1.4 -- SCJD Java 2 -- OCM JEA 5
John Houston
Greenhorn

I used Visual Paradigm (Community Edition) v7.2.

I wrote about taking screenshots to avoid the watermarks on this forum post.

I found Visual Paradigm easy to use. I wasted two hours on trying to get a nice relational database management system stereotype icon (one of these fat cylindrical containers) for Deployment Diagram. Visual Paradigm 7.2 doesn't have one. Tried creating my own one using raw vector shapes, and again with image import, but all attempts were poor, as you lose diagram connectivity, resize, etc. In the end, just used a classic Node icon for the databases. Passed with that.

Crucially, I found Sequence Diagrams intuitive using Visual Paradigm.

GeeCON Prague 2014

subject: What UML Tool(s) are you using for SCEA Beta Part II?