This week's giveaway is in the Android forum.
We're giving away four copies of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons and have Godfrey Nolan on-line!
See this thread for details.
The moose likes Web Component Certification (SCWCD/OCPJWCD) and the fly likes This weeks Giveaway Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Web Component Certification (SCWCD/OCPJWCD)
Bookmark "This weeks Giveaway" Watch "This weeks Giveaway" New topic
Author

This weeks Giveaway

Patrick Cheung
Greenhorn

is there any mock exam in the book?
Hari babu
Ranch Hand

Hi,
How is this diffrent from Hanumanth's book ?
Hari
George King
Greenhorn

Hi Sam and Dan,
Thanks for the wonderful book. The best part about it is the usefulness of it even after the exam. I really liked the Case study part; makes learning very easy and interesting.
I have gone through the first 5 chapters and didn't find any bug/mistake/typo. May be I am technically not that strong or may be you are too strong
Do you guys have a plan to write book for any other java certification exam?
Pat: The book has lot of questions at each chapter end and an cutdown version of Whiz from whizlbs with one full mock test,some quizzes and tips.
Best regarsd
George
Javier A. Quintero
Greenhorn

Hi, I have another question: What is the procedure for giving the books? By number of post? By drawing?
Javier
SCJP2
Sam Dalton
Author
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by George King:
Hi Sam and Dan,
Thanks for the wonderful book. The best part about it is the usefulness of it even after the exam. I really liked the Case study part; makes learning very easy and interesting.
I have gone through the first 5 chapters and didn't find any bug/mistake/typo. May be I am technically not that strong or may be you are too strong
Do you guys have a plan to write book for any other java certification exam?
Pat: The book has lot of questions at each chapter end and an cutdown version of Whiz from whizlbs with one full mock test,some quizzes and tips.
Best regarsd
George

Hi George,
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the book!
We have no plans to write any more certificaton books at the moment, but we are both writing on a new JSP 2.0 book.
Cheers
Sam

<a href="http://www.samjdalton.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Sam Dalton</a>,<br />Co-author of [http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1590592255/qid=1068633302//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/104-4904002-9274339?v=glance&s=books&n=507846]Professional JSP 2.0[/URL] (October 2003)<br />Co-author of <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1861007701/ref=ase_electricporkchop" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Professional SCWCD Certification</a><br />Co-author of <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/186100561X/ref=ase_electricporkchop" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Professional Java Servlets 2.3</a>
Sam Dalton
Author
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Javier A. Quintero:
Hi, I have another question: What is the procedure for giving the books? By number of post? By drawing?
Javier
SCJP2

As far as I know, there is a draw from all of the names of people posting on this topic.
Cheers
Sam
Dan Jepp
Author
Ranch Hand

Hi Raj,
As with all Wrox books, our SCWCD book is crammed with fully working examples. All the examples are also packaged into an examples web application with source code for you to experiment with
Dan

Author <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1861007701/qid=1038470361/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-5433093-9410428?v=glance&s=books" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Professional SCWCD Certification</a>
manasa teja
Ranch Hand

How many sample questions/mocks are available with mock.
Is this book available in India
thanks,

MT
Sam Dalton
Author
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Mu Ram:
How many sample questions/mocks are available with mock.
Is this book available in India
thanks,

Hi there!
The book is indeed avaliable in India, and there are about 10 questions per chapter (so >120) and a mock exam simulator from WhizLabs is also included.
Cheers
Sam
Sumit Amar
Ranch Hand

Are you giving the Hard Copy version of this book? I am preparing for SCWCD but haven't got any relevant book. I can't win lotteries so I don't invest in them. However tell me when this book will be available for retail in India?

SCJP, SCWCD, OCA, OCP-DBA 9i, <a href="http://brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=2232802" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">BCIP</a>, MCP, MCAD, MCSD.NET, MCDBA, MCTS (SQL 05), MCITP (DBD, DBA)
Guennadiy VANIN
Ranch Hand

Hi Sumit,
even if the book is not available, you may come to any big bookshop and order it. I am describing how I made it in various countries.
For this, usually, you do not need nether pre-payment, nor credit card, nor identification.
When book arrives, bookshop contact you. If you do not appear, then they just put it on the shelf and sell.
The book arrives in hours if it is in stock (in India), or in a few days.
Guennadiy VANIN
Ranch Hand

Mu,
this question was already answered in this thread.
Jody Saloman
Greenhorn

Originally posted by Sam Dalton:

Hi there!
The book is indeed avaliable in India, and there are about 10 questions per chapter (so >120) and a mock exam simulator from WhizLabs is also included.
Cheers
Sam

Thanks for the information, Sam. But it is a little vague to me. Does the book has full version of WhizLabs software? If yes, great, I am going to buy it! If not, how many questions are there? The other book by Manning that I am considering, has JWebPlus which has 3 full mock exams (180 questions). It also has about 10 questions per chapter and numerous short answer type questions which they call quizlets. Do you have anything like that in your book too?
thank you,
Jody.
Sam Dalton
Author
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Jody Saloman:

Thanks for the information, Sam. But it is a little vague to me. Does the book has full version of WhizLabs software? If yes, great, I am going to buy it! If not, how many questions are there? The other book by Manning that I am considering, has JWebPlus which has 3 full mock exams (180 questions). It also has about 10 questions per chapter and numerous short answer type questions which they call quizlets. Do you have anything like that in your book too?
thank you,
Jody.

Hi Jody,
the book has an abridged version of the WhizLabs test, that said it has 2 full examsns, a set of revision notes, and is highly customizable. The book does not have 'short answer' type questions, as we felt that this was too far away from the real exam. Instead the book focuses on Real world examples and questions that are very like those you will encounter on the test itself
Hope this helps
Sam
Ram Balasubramaniam
Greenhorn

I have always been a big fan of WROX publications.
Good to see that they have come out with a book on SCWCD .
Do you have any sample chapter where I can get a look .
Sam Dalton
Author
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Ram Bal:
I have always been a big fan of WROX publications.
Good to see that they have come out with a book on SCWCD .
Do you have any sample chapter where I can get a look .

Hi there.
There is a sample chapter at http://www.wrox.com/books/1861007701.htm Click on the link in the top left corner
Cheers
Sam
Javier A. Quintero
Greenhorn

When I tried to see the example chapter(PDF format) Acrobat Reader 4.0 shows an error message "There was an error opening this document. This viewer cannot decript this document".
Dan Jepp
Author
Ranch Hand

Hi,
I have just tried to download the PDF and i too get an error but the PDF still opens ok when selecting 'OK'
Not sure what the problem is here it was working fine earlier.... You can always right click and do "Save Target As", download it then it works fine...
strange?!?!
Dan
Mike Cunningham
Ranch Hand

I ran into a similar problem when trying to access the sample chapter PDF file for this book. I initially tried about a week ago when I saw the book posted on Amazon.com. However, I'm getting the same problem which is basically a blank PDF. Nothing pulls up in the PDF viewer.
I'm interested in the material and seeing how it compares to some of the other SCWCD books out there.
sing
Ranch Hand

Hi,
Is this book covered all scope of SCWCD? I planned for this exam since long time ago but I headache when i look at the
SCWCD Link
The scope looks wide to study.
When I read through your book content, its look fine to study.
steffy
Seid Myadiyev
Ranch Hand

Dear Sam and Dan!
I would like to express my gratitude for a well-written exam guide!
I read a sample chapter from Wrox and I found it very well presented and explained!
Thank you very much!‎
Seid

Seid Myadiyev<br />SCJP, SCWCD, SCBCD, SCEA-Part 1
Vedhas Pitkar
Ranch Hand

Goodness me!Look at the number of posts(read people tyring to get this book)!And I thought that the SCWCD had few takers.Competition is growing,I guess!
Dan Jepp
Author
Ranch Hand

Hi everyone,
Yes our objective when we set out to write the book was to provide a complete study guide that covered every objective.
I would still advise regularly referring to both the Servlet & JSP specs though to really cement your knowledge.
Cheers
Dan
Sam Dalton
Author
Ranch Hand

Hi everyone,
The accompanying CD has following content:
A.) One Full Mock Test on the pattern of the exam.
B.) Interactive Quiz (52 Short answer questions)
C.) Quick Revision Tips
Yes, it is customizable.
Hope this helps.
Sam
Sam Dalton
Author
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Seid Myadiyev:
Dear Sam and Dan!
I would like to express my gratitude for a well-written exam guide!
I read a sample chapter from Wrox and I found it very well presented and explained!
Thank you very much!‎
Seid

Seid,
Thanks! It is nice to know that the book is appreciated
Sam
Henrik Qvist
Greenhorn

Can anyaone tell me the reason why SUN doesn't want to public the current number of how many people, success the exam for SCJP and SCWCD a.o. the very first try ?
Merry Christmas to all....

Dansk Database Teknologi<p>we appreciate your data !
Rick Portugal
Ranch Hand

Serious question: How do you feel about having a big picture of yourselves on the front cover of the book. Nothing personal, but I don't like that trend.

IBM 286, SCJP, SCWCD, EIEIO
Vivek Talyan
Greenhorn

Enter me in the drawing too.

SCJP2 (1.4)
Garrett Smith
Ranch Hand

Is it legal to use more than one url-pattern element?
<filter-mapping>
<filter-name>aFilter</filter-name>
<url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>
<url-pattern>*.html</url-pattern>
</filter-mapping>
</filter-mapping>

comp.lang.javascript FAQ: http://jibbering.com/faq/
Garrett Smith
Ranch Hand

Oh, I think I found it. I have to use two filter-mapping elements.

Is this right?
Sam Dalton
Author
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Rick Silva:
Serious question: How do you feel about having a big picture of yourselves on the front cover of the book. Nothing personal, but I don't like that trend.

It is certainly something to show friends and relatives. Like the trend or not, it certainly differentiates Wrox books
S
Sam Dalton
Author
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Garrett Smith:
Oh, I think I found it. I have to use two filter-mapping elements.

Is this right?

Looks good to me
S
Julia Varigina
Greenhorn

I have looked through the sample chapter at Wrox site.
Presented material is explaned in detail and clearly. I think that the book must be useful for preparation for the SCWCD exam and would like to have it.
Sam Dalton
Author
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Julia Varigina:
I have looked through the sample chapter at Wrox site.
Presented material is explaned in detail and clearly. I think that the book must be useful for preparation for the SCWCD exam and would like to have it.

Julia,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I hope that if you don't win the book that you will buy it
Cheers
Sam
Julia Varigina
Greenhorn

I'll definitely buy it
Varun Khanna
Ranch Hand

The discussion has fuelled me for the SCWD preperation, gonna start it from today ;-)

- Varun
Sam Dalton
Author
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by varun Khanna:
The discussion has fuelled me for the SCWD preperation, gonna start it from today ;-)

Well I hope you can make use of our book Let's hope that you win the draw.
S
Garrett Smith
Ranch Hand

I posted on this forum yesterday and I wanted to know what happens when my post is deleted.
Do I lose entry in the book giveaway?
If so, please leave this post. I want the book. I won't bother asking the author if it is good, et c; that will be determined by me, when I read it.

This has been the most pointless message I have ever left on a message board.

Garrett
Guennadiy VANIN
Ranch Hand

I feel cheated.
I was assured that Book Promo ends on Friday, but at the end of Thursday the result was already announced.
For me, it is not so much about winning but boosting my usual laziness. I started studying on Tuesday, and
In order to hide my stupidity, tried to leave the bulk of questions and answers to Friday. Appr. 2.6 GB

It is direct cheating
Shishio San
Ranch Hand

Hi,
I read your sample chapter about handling exception. It was well explained with relevant examples. Congratulations.

Whatever doesn't kill us ...<br />Is probably circling back for another try.<br />SCJP 1.4

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.

subject: This weeks Giveaway