• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

I met Simon Roberts today

Author
Scala IntelliJ IDE Netbeans IDE Python Java Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
First up, I re-registered, so my account name is now "legal"
I'm sure Phil and I will try to lurk on this site, it is clearly the premier (that is PREMier, rather than premEEER, just so you get the accent right ) site for certification.
You'll all appreciate that we're not going to give anything away, and that we have other people paying us to do other things, so we won't be able to dedicate as much time to this as we'd like.
I'll suggest that Paul, if you see issues that you think would particularly benefit from input, you might contact me directly, just in case I miss them.
I'm now going to move off this (very flattering) thread and try to lurk on others with a view to being useful once in a while.
Cheers,
Simon

Originally posted by Preety Agarwal:
snip snip...
I would like to request Mr. Simon,Mr. Heller to participate actively in the forum for developers and architecht section.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh my God I go away for two weeks and two Demi-Gods appear in our midst!!
I'm so glad Simon and Phil have found their way here! I'm sure they'll soon appreciate how much their book(s) have helped so many people become SCJP. I personally am still working on it .. it's a slow process what with having work to do as well .. but I'll get there eventually! Now, if I have any problems, I have the potential to have the ears (or rather eyes) of the Guys that wrote the book! Fantastic!
Paul, when word gets round about this 35,000 unique hits a week will seem like small fry!

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Heh, I get such a kick out of seeing the little "greenhorn" label on such well-known names. Welcome to Simon and Philip; we appreciate your dropping by. (And hello from a fellow Mountain View person, Philip!) And also a warm welcome back to Kathy, who built so much of JavaRanch back before most of us knew it existed. (Though I'm mystified why you have a "greenhorn" label - forgot your password maybe? )
As for Simon's comment about JavaRanch being the premier certification site - well, thanks. You may occasionally hear vicious rumors about another site. One where your accent on the word "premier" might be better understood. But of course this other site is just a myth, so you needn't worry about it.
P.S. If Bill Brogden is still out there - we haven't forgotten you! Your books and your participation online are greatly appreciated too.

Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Bill let me write in his new book.
As for the "greenhorn" label on Kathy - these forums were part of the old porkchop site. When the porkchop merged with the ranch, Kathy had never posted to the forums. That was her first post!
Kathy, Simon and Philip will all have to endure being greenhorns until they hit 30 posts. The only alternative is to make them moderators of some forum and then they will be promoted instantly to "bartender". I offered this to Kathy and she decined - "busy, busy, busy! " she says! Simon and Philip - any interest in this sort of thing?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Everyone! Its really great to see so many people devoted & dedicated to SCJP. I found notes compiled by Marcus & Maha pretty impressive. Keep up the good work.
Wish you all the best!!!

arch rival
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm sitting here grinning from ear to ear!
Marcus

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Howdy again! Sheesh -- all THREE authors have dropped into this thread now. Michael does contracting work for Sun, and though he lives in northern California, we see him quite a lot out here in Colorado.
Well since PHIL is going to Comdex Las Vegas to prep folks for the Programmer's exam... hmmmmm... I might have to mention that you could also go to Comdex Chicago (in April) and be the first to take the new one-day prep seminar for the new Architect exam. I heard the presenters are really cute.
And its never too early to make plans for JavaOne -- where we'll ALL be next June.
Just wanted to mention that I've added a couple more critters to my own personal herd since I left California for sunny Colorado -- a new sheep, Buffy, (not nearly as smart or adept at coding as Bert) and a miniature donkey, Antonio. He's a little stubborn about meeting deadlines, but his grasp of design patterns is impressive!
Anyway, I better head back to work now. This has been a festive thread here at the Saloon... hope to talk to ya'all somewhere else sometime soon.
Kathy "always a greenhorn" Kozel

Originally posted by Philip Heller:
[
Anybody going to Comdex in Las Vegas next month? I'll be
giving a 2-day seminar on preparing for the Programmer's
Exam. If you happen to be in town, come on by and say Hi.
Gotta go. See you soon, and thanks for being nice!
Ciao for now,
Phil[/B]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Ranchites!
You Know, I am related to Simon Roberts, Philip Heller, Micheal Earnest in one way ..... We are all greenhorns
Anybody getting greener now?
Jeban
[This message has been edited by Jonathan Jeban (edited October 25, 2000).]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Philip Heller,
You live very close to my city(San Jose). I can't wait to see your lecture at COMDEX. I'll pop up over there in Vegas.
Looks like you have started writing novel 'coz Simon gave you
"Yorkshire Pudding".
Simon, Please let us know when are you going to release "Java Architect Exam " book.
Thanks
Inga.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How do we beleive you ? ;-) just kidding....
Where are u currently working Paul ?
Which city and which building ?
Deepak ;-)

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Every one! I think my name is causing confusion. I am Micheal & not Michael. Anyway, its time that Mr.Michael Ernest gets some credit for his efforts in the book. Everyone keeps saying Roberts & Heller! Its not fair. He too deserves recognition.
I reiterate... the work done by Maha & Marcus to help everyone appearing for SCJP is really really great.
I was just fooling around... but how do we know whether they were actually Roberts & Heller above...

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm working in Broomfield. Building 5.
I can certainly vouch for Mr. Roberts. It would seem that Mr. Roberts is vouching for Mr. Heller. "Micheal Earnest" is a real person, but is not the third author, "Michael Ernest".

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wow...I can't belive this is happening !!
Welcome to Simon and Philip, and thank you for sparing some time out of your busy schedule. Congratulations to Paul too, may be we are the only site, the PREMIER , where there are so many great people participating in discussions.
I am still unable to belive this is happening..
Go Javaranch!! Go Javaranch!
Ajith

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One suggestion for all writers of now and future books
on all the java certifications: It would be very very
helpful to have UML diagrams of code in the books
especially on the developer programming project and the
java enterprise programming project.

Kathy Cowgirl Kozel
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You never know what can happen... but we're expecting that book to be out before JavaOne (next June)!
Cheers,
the cowgirl

Simon, Please let us know when are you going to release "Java Architect Exam " book.
Thanks
Inga.[/B]

Simon Roberts
Author
Scala IntelliJ IDE Netbeans IDE Python Java Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'll take my label 'till I earn something better the same way everyone else had to. I believe in earning privileges.
Cheers,
Simon
Hey, could you get a little icon of a British beer mug, filled with warm ale with a thin head on it, so I could use it for "cheers" ? That'd be fun

Originally posted by Paul Wheaton:
Kathy, Simon and Philip will all have to endure being greenhorns until they hit 30 posts. The only alternative is to make them moderators of some forum and then they will be promoted instantly to "bartender". I offered this to Kathy and she decined - "busy, busy, busy! " she says! Simon and Philip - any interest in this sort of thing?

paul wheaton
Trailboss
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you (or somebody else) provides the image, I'll set it up so you can do that.

High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Erich -
I went back and forth on UML as a tool for the Dev Exam material. If I wanted to show everyone how to solve the Exam, UML would have been useful, no doubt. But since we aimed at how to think about the Exams in the book, UML didn't help; in fact, it got me too close to showing the Dev Exam's real anatomy...bad idea, in light of Simon's close affiliation with it.
There are some good puzzles in the Dev Exam, but it is NOT an intricate thing. You conquer it piece by piece. Coming up with examples that did little more than mimic the Exam was hard. And did *I* get a Phil Heller to work with? Nooooooo.
Of course, I'm open to persuasion, just in case there's a call to rewrite for some future edition.

Originally posted by erich brant:
One suggestion for all writers of now and future books
on all the java certifications: It would be very very
helpful to have UML diagrams of code in the books
especially on the developer programming project and the
java enterprise programming project.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Great to know all the co-authors answering peoples doubts, in one cool place(JavaRanch). Great book it is Complete Java 2 Certification. Thanks for the book people.
Abhupati.

Ajith Kallambella
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
'abhupati',
May I remind you about JavaRanch's official policy on names?
PROPER NAMES ARE NOW REQUIRED!!
Read this post for more details.
Javaranch appreciates your cooperation to comply with the official naming policy.
Ajith

erich brant
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok thats fair I guess I am going to make my own uml diagrams
for me to fully understand the java developer and java architech
projects.
Also will sun in the future hava an xml/jsp/servlet e-commerce
certification? It will make suns products more popular with
e-commerce and the web in general instead of the "dark empire's"
evil products.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
oh its simply great to have a darshan of simon roberts and philip heller.
hey paul i would also like to work with you!!!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wow Wow WOW !! We are blessed to have such great personalities in our midst.Mr Roberts,Mr Heller,Bill Brodgen,Marcus Green,Kathy,Paul Wheaton etc.I could just go on and on.I guess I can be forgiven for coming back again and again to this site huh...
Java 2 Certification Study Guide is THE BEST book I have come across for Java Certification (not that I have really studied all Certification books).I bought it 1 year back and I still find something new in it every time I open it..
Please bring out the Architect book as soon as possible.I cant wait to get my hands on it !!
------------------
Come on in !! Drinks are on the house in the Big Moose Saloon !!

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic