File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP) and the fly likes SCJP 5: When are you taking the beta? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Bookmark "SCJP 5: When are you taking the beta?" Watch "SCJP 5: When are you taking the beta?" New topic
Author

SCJP 5: When are you taking the beta?

DeyaEddin Muh
Greenhorn

Scheduled on 10 Feb ... wish me lcuk ...

Better to light one small CANDLE than to curse the Darkness
Joyce Lee
Ranch Hand

Good luck to everyone.
Joe Cuppa
Greenhorn

Scheduled on 10 Feb ... wish me lcuk ...

OK... I wish you all the lcuk in the world.
ankur rathi
Ranch Hand

I am taking it on 12 Feb ... because I can't get it on 13 Feb ....
god help me ....

And best of luck to all ... but please don't do too well ...
[ January 31, 2005: Message edited by: rathi ji ]
Ariel Ortiz
Ranch Hand

I took the SCJP5 exam today. As Bert Bates said before, it's a pretty hard exam, though I'm optimistic about my yet unknown result. This is the sixth Sun certification exam I've taken, and it's the first time I used all the allotted time. Most of the questions involve reading code, some times quite a lot of code. I found the thread and generics questions pretty tricky. I got lots of drag and drop types of questions. These are pretty neat, but some look very challenging at first and take a bit time to solve.

My best advice for those preparing for this exam: do a lot of programming, study well all those new topics, do a lot of programming, review all the Java basics, and do a lot of programming. I scored 92 in the SCJP 1.2 exam and 96 in the SCJP 1.4 upgrade exam, so believe me when I say this exam is tough! Oh, and don't forget to do a lot of programming.

Success to all!

...Ariel
[ January 31, 2005: Message edited by: Ariel Ortiz ]
ankur rathi
Ranch Hand

Thank you very much Ariel ,

Can you give me answers of following questions :
what is the ratio of 1.4 & 1.5 ?
If a person know 1.4 then can he pass ?

thanks once again .
[ February 08, 2005: Message edited by: rathi ji ]
Shankar Narayenen
Greenhorn

Hello all,

I took the SCJP 5.0 exam last week and I readily agree with Ariel that the exam was pretty tough and I too found the topics - Thread and Generics - to be pretty tricky and tough.

Just write as much test code as possible, esp on new areas such as Generics and Autoboxing / Unboxing.

Keeping my fingers crossed and waiting for the results.

Good luck to all those preparing for this exam.

Shankar.
SCJP 1.4
SCBCD 1.3
SCWCD 1.4
SCEA Part I
Vincent Brabant
Ranch Hand

Hi all,
I also took the beta exam today. 5 hours was just.
When I finished the exam, I think I had 5 minutes.
So, don't drink too much, because if you had to go to the toilet, that time will be lost.

Impossible to give ratio between 1.5 and 1.4. Everything is mixed.
For example, you can have questions about threads (with notify and wait, ...) , and in the example, you will have a foreach loop.

If you know only 1.4, you can't pass.
If you study only 1.5 new features, you can't pass.

You have to code and try by yourself.
And don't learn new features separately. You have to write code that mix all those features with older one.

Like Mixing Threading with Generics et For loop, or Mixing overriding and overloading with Generics and ... (how you call that ?)

Continue to code with Wrapper, parser, Formatter, Scanner, String handling (with Regular expressions, ...)

Personally, my preparation for the exam was the following:
1. Write a lot of new code with NetBeans IDE, to see how deep NetBeans IDE is JDK 1.5 Compliant ;-)
2. Read a lot of Threads here, and check by myself what was said in the discussions. Don't trust what people are saying. Check what people are saying. And then you extends and check other ways, ...
3. Write a lot of code by reading the Oreilly Java Core Book.
4. Read the Oreilly's Tiger Developers notebook.
5. Write a lot of code of the Tiger Developers notebook.
6. Read somes parts of the JLS
7. Write a lot of code
8. Use javap to look at bytecode of your class. It helps to understand what's happens behind the scene.
9. Write code where you are mixing new features. But also mixing new features with old features
10. Write a lot of code based upon Mike Meyers' Certification Passport (With Kathy Sierra. Hello Kathy)
11.Completely rewrite the JUNIT API to not anymore have warnings and use the sort algorythm by using Generic.

P.S I encourage everyone to do that. Take a little open source API and compile it. Then refactoring it until you will have not any warnings about Generics. It's the best and quick way to learn about Generics.

12. Rest before the exam. Don't forget it's 5 hours. If you are too tired, you will sleep in front of the pc. And you have less than 2 minutes for each questions.

Vincent Brabant<br /><a href="http://fr.netbeans.org" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://fr.netbeans.org</a>
Ariel Ortiz
Ranch Hand

Impossible to give ratio between 1.5 and 1.4. Everything is mixed.
For example, you can have questions about threads (with notify and wait, ...), and in the example, you will have a foreach loop.

If you know only 1.4, you can't pass.
If you study only 1.5 new features, you can't pass.

You have to code and try by yourself. And don't learn new features separately. You have to write code that mix all those features with older one.

I totally agree with Vincent.

For the new Java 5 features I used both "Java 2 v5.0 (Tiger) New Features" by Herbert Schildt and "Java 1.5 Tiger: A Developer's Notebook" by David Flanagan. I personally found the Generics part better explained in Schildt's book.

...Ariel
ankur rathi
Ranch Hand

Thanks Vincent & Ariel for sharing your experience .

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: SCJP 5: When are you taking the beta?