• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Interview Tip: What did you make at your last job?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
Did you know anyone practicing marketing? Learn to negotiate better like them such as you have unique skills, the company should not rank you with the rest of the office coolies.

* On the side note.
When you are from the small company and the larger company hesitate to hire you eventhough those HR know darn well that you are the hit-the-wall and running candidate. They are intimidated by you and afraid that you will rock their cozy 9 to 5 mentality. For example, when you are attending the job fair and just when you are about walking to the next booth, LISTEN and LISTEN WELL. Those HRs will whisper to each others saying something in similar: "I know he lies nobody can work that much in such amount of short time."
You have two options:
1.) Ignore and go your way of searching for another job with another company.
2.) Go home and fire an email and snailmail to the company director (you could obtain from the company website). First, complain about those HRs attitude, no need to name names because they will track out those offended people through date, event location, and time approx. Second, request for a personal interview.
I guarantee, you will get the interview with VIP treatment. But don't blow it. Your industry will know your name very soon.
Regards,
MCao

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by chad stevens:
Scott, you are a good person, however, it's getting to be a rare thing in this field, especially when a company hires a consulting company to hire a consultant. How many times have I seen this world-wide consulting services company that is expanding from year to year do the following: recruit a junior programmer, tell the client they are sending a senior without the consultant even knowing, just so they can bill at a higher rate and pay the consultant a lower salary. I have seen it done to 3 of my co-workers 2 years ago. The same company hired a woman who had a college degree with 2 years C++ and 1 year Java for $32 000/yr 3 years ago. They later hired a man who did a one year programming course, no ambition to continue his education, and NO prior work experience at $50 000/yr! Why? Because the guy was over 6 feet tall and over 200 pounds and she was barely over 5 feet and weighing barely 100 pounds, he looked more threatening than she did and she didn't show confidence as he did although he knew nothing and did more damage than good. Yet, they kept him around since he became buddies with the managers, while she did both her work and his! What a world!

Not really. The guy was smarter than the girl. Basically the guy used his Jedi mind trick to "bend" the situation in his favor. Old adage: Just because you got a degree doesn't mean you are smarter than the one that doesn't ;-)
"look into my eyes... you will give me $20 from your wallet"... darn.. can never do the mind trick... Just keep on try... Just keep on trying Eleison.. you can do it... Urgh... :-)
-Eleison

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, coming to this salary negotiations in INdia as I said they see ur pay-slip and give u the sal according to it.I have one big problem now. They asked me how much I was expecting and I told them some amount.They asked my pay-slip and I faxed it to them.Then they gave me an offer and it was no where near the amount i asked them.Then I got my incr letter and I posted it to them and they gave me somewhere near the amt I asked them first.Now if I work for 6 more months I will be getting my gratuity here, so now I am in a big dilemma, whether I need to tell them about this and expect more or just leave this present job and join that, which is almost the same.I am not desperate about joing it, but because i need to relocate I was thinking, if I got that gratuity amt, it would take care of my setting up my new home easy.So what do u say?

Matt Cao
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
I think it is more like an attitude. Chinese do exploit their own kind too. But they also recognize the diamond admist the coal.
Regards,
MCao

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So if my Current CTC is low should my Expected CTC also be shown low.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think so.
General Rule : Minimum 10% hike of ur Gross. Unless you are moving to a company which can't pay and negotiating with something else.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by jyothi godavarthy:
So if my Current CTC is low should my Expected CTC also be shown low.

Not really, I have seen people getting good salary ... irrespective of their previous (low) salary.
More than the candidate's capability (barring some exceptional conditions) this depends more upon the company's policy.
In my previous organisation the candidate's previous salary was of little relevance. Infact, one of my fellow team member got 15k per month more than what she asked for ... funny isn't?
[ January 29, 2004: Message edited by: Varun Khanna ]

jyothi godavarthy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Varun Khanna:

Infact, one of my fellow team member got 15k per month more than what she asked for ... funny isn't?
[ January 29, 2004: Message edited by: Varun Khanna ]

Real lucky guy, hey was this in India............

Varun Khanna
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by jyothi godavarthy:

Real lucky guy, hey was this in India............

In Pune.

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Chrome Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Interesting discussion

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic