aspose file tools*
The moose likes Jobs Discussion and the fly likes Background Check Investigation Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Careers » Jobs Discussion
Bookmark "Background Check Investigation" Watch "Background Check Investigation" New topic
Author

Background Check Investigation

Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Don't know about everywhere else, but companies that do background checks seems to have sprouted -- most of the companies in silicon valley seems to outsource the background check now (at least the ones that I have seen). I wouldn't be surprised if the big companies are doing it too.

Henry

Books: Java Threads, 3rd Edition, Jini in a Nutshell, and Java Gems (contributor)
Pushkar Choudhary
Rancher

Henry Wong wrote:most of the companies in silicon valley seems to outsource the background check now (at least the ones that I have seen). I wouldn't be surprised if the big companies are doing it too.

Yeah, I've heard the same about some of the big Indian IT companies too.
Field Master
Greenhorn

Hello,

If you are reading this post then either you have some discrepancies in your background or you are just curious about this.

I will try to make things as clear as i can in here.

1. If you have forged your credentials in any of the organizations previously, the maximum damage that particular organization can do to you is to ban you from working with itself permanently or with any of its subsidiaries across the globe. If the company fires you due to discrepancies in credentials, you will be politely asked to leave of course under pressure. The company fires the employee only in worst case scenarios where the employee is at guilt but is reluctant to stay with the organization. It is a very very lengthy and complicated process to fire an employee and the HR Managers do consider your future hence, try to avoid it.

2. The BGC is conducted by almost all the top IT & Core Companies in India and abroad. The back ground check is a completely outsourced business and you can be sure that the company itself will never make inquiries with your previous organizations. At the time of joining a company you will sign an authorization for the company and its appointed third party to conduct the background check. Unless this authorization is signed duly by the candidate, no company can make inquiry into your previous organization.
Some of the companies that conduct BGC are TCS, Accenture, IBM, CSC, Dell, iGate Patni, L&T, Tech Mahindra, etc, etc. Almost any major company will conduct a BGC. I have noted a trend that European and Middle-East companies rarely conduct BGC.

3. The companies will never ask you to submit Form - 16 or your income tax return certificate unless and until you apply for a visa or a work permit on behalf of the organization.

4. The companies do BGC only with your last worked organization and not with all your previous employers. The reason behind this is because they believe that the previous employer would have conducted BGC. In extreme cases where your previous organization raises some concern they may want to visit your last to last. This is damn rare.

5. The BGC has 2 levels of investigation. Level 1 would be verification of employee through phone and e-mail. Level 2 would include level 1 and a person would walk-in at your previous organization to meet your HR Manager to gather info. He submits all the information captured during his visit. It includes minor details like company's location, size of building, employee strength as viewed by the investigator. This person visiting would be an employee of 3rd party.
Companies like IBM, Accenture, Dell n any big brand conduct Level 2 BGC.
BPO organizations n other small IT companies conduct Level 1 BGC.

6. The company would never reveal details of the projects or any technical data as the operating or acquired technologies officially as it would be a serious breach to the business policies. The only details provided are Duration or Tenure served, Salary and Role. The company would never reveal data on personal conduct of the employee unless and until it has pressed criminal charges against you.

7. If your current employer finds out that there is any discrepancy in your credentials like work duration, salary or anything there is a 100% possibility that you would be forced to resign but not fired for sure. At least if you are working with a top IT firm, they would never fire you and politely ask you to leave even with the salary for the days you have served the organization.

And finally coming to the question on which the thread was started (I'm sure the guy is long gone now n i hope he went thru fine), IMHO this is an entire personal matter and no company would officially release your conduct information to others unless and until they have pressed charges against you in a court of law. If there is something personal going on between you and your previous employer they may want to declare this information which I'm sure will matter nothing to a big employer like IBM or Accenture. You must ty to streamline your relations at previous organization and request them to not make things personal. The issue mentioned by you is a very petty issue and only smaller organizations will fire you for such a cause. For forged bills, you would surely be served with a warning at first place before taking action.

The top companies have sympathy towards employees and an employee is fired from his job only under conditions of serious breach of company's business interest like you are trading client information with a rival company or you are sexually harassing a co-employee. In all other petty issues these company would usually ask you to resign and leave. In case of smaller companies I don't have much idea but they cant fire you for forging some bills, you may want to consult a lawyer and I'm sure you will receive a compensation and dignity restoration order by the court. No organization can press charges against you in court of law for forging a couple of medical or LTA bills.

So, if you are smart enough to handle everything from above you are a genius and can work anywhere by faking it!!
Joy Gehg
Greenhorn

Hi Field Master, i am Joy Gehg, i recently read your post on BGC, i have been faced with some problem,could you please help me out.
I got offer from [COMPANY A] and the present company where i am working now would relieve me in just few days, but the problem is, my company is a small company as they are into software development,training and placement, kind of software development company and training institute, so if i join [COMPANY A], there would be employment verification,they may charge about this later as its a training institute. Can i request them to go for BGC 2/3 days before i join the company.Please advice.Thanks.
Karthik Pitchaimani
Greenhorn

Hi

My first company has been closed and also black listed since January 2011. I left from my first company June 2006 (5years 10 months before.)
I have the ITPIN no and I was working Cognizant, Accenture and MphasiS. They have done my first company verification earlier and it was good earlier.

any issue will arise while i am joining the new job offer( new company) . or will they do the verfications all the years or last 5 years or..

kindly let me know what would be the best resolution.

Regards,
Karthik.P
Kj Reddy
Ranch Hand

Karthik Pitchaimani wrote:Hi

My first company has been closed and also black listed since January 2011. I left from my first company June 2006 (5years 10 months before.)
I have the ITPIN no and I was working Cognizant, Accenture and MphasiS. They have done my first company verification earlier and it was good earlier.

any issue will arise while i am joining the new job offer( new company) . or will they do the verfications all the years or last 5 years or..

kindly let me know what would be the best resolution.

Regards,
Karthik.P

If your first company closed or black listed that will not be problem for you. Moreover you left that company 5 years back, mostly background check will be done for last 2 to 3 years. So, you dont need to worry.
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

. . . and welcome to the Ranch
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal

Anish Sengupta,
Your post was moved to a new topic.
(This informational message will self destruct in two days)
We prefer new questions to start in a new thread.

[Blog] [JavaRanch FAQ] [How To Ask Questions The Smart Way] [Book Promos]
Blogging on Certs: SCEA Part 1, Part 2 & 3, Core Spring 3, OCAJP, OCPJP beta, TOGAF part 1 and part 2

It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.

subject: Background Check Investigation