aspose file tools*
The moose likes Programming Diversions and the fly likes CHEECKY but i need help FAST please! Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Programming Diversions
Bookmark "CHEECKY but i need help FAST please!" Watch "CHEECKY but i need help FAST please!" New topic
Author

CHEECKY but i need help FAST please!

Ben Souther
Sheriff

We should ask one of the moderators to move this to Programming Diversions.
It's a lot of fun but it's certainly moved out of the realm of "JIG (Beginner)"

Java API J2EE API Servlet Spec JSP Spec How to ask a question... Simple Servlet Examples jsonf
tim mahoney
Ranch Hand

Crazy stuff!! I thought i was starting to grasp this sh**. After looking at that code, a lot to learn.
James Carman
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by tim mahoney:
Crazy stuff!! I thought i was starting to grasp this sh**. After looking at that code, a lot to learn.

The one thing you should learn about that code is NEVER to do something like that on a real project! But, it is fun to see what you can get away with.

James Carman, President<br />Carman Consulting, Inc.
David O'Meara
Rancher

From the 'simpler is better' department, and making the assumption the lecture has an idea or two, I'd add this at the bottom and hope for a cut-and-paste:

James Carman
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by David O'Meara:
From the 'simpler is better' department, and making the assumption the lecture has an idea or two, I'd add this at the bottom and hope for a cut-and-paste:

To give them a clue, why not call the variable SERIAL_UID_64 or something?
Ilja Preuss
author
Sheriff

Folks,

I agree that John was unreasonable in his request, and I admire your creativity, enjoy the fun you have and assume that much of what you write is to be taken as tongue in cheek - but

what you are doing here isn't really *nice*

John obviously was stressed out when he wrote what he wrote. And people do silly things when they are stressed out, things they possibly even regret later. Remember that when your next deadline approaches...

So, although I think he deserved to be resolutely pointed at the fact that his request will not be met at JavaRanch, he still also deserved to be treaten nicely, in my opinion. The responses he got can easily be understood in an arrogant, less-than-nice way, though, so I can somewhat understand his upset reaction (which doesn't mean that I found it to be appropriate).

To clarify again, I'm not writing this to criticize anyone, just to share my feelings about the atmosphere of JavaRanch, which is the main reason for why I'm here. To me, it is mainly about friendliness and respect, and this thread feels to me to be on a slippery slope in this regard. If you can understand my concern, I would be delighted to see that taken into account the next time someone posts a similar request here.

Thanks for following me until here in my solemn remarks. Now back to the fun...

The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny - it is the light that guides your way. - Heraclitus
Joel McNary
Bartender

Originally posted by Ben Souther:
We should ask one of the moderators to move this to Programming Diversions.
It's a lot of fun but it's certainly moved out of the realm of "JIG (Beginner)"

I agree. This has become more of a diversion, so off it goes.

Piscis Babelis est parvus, flavus, et hiridicus, et est probabiliter insolitissima raritas in toto mundo.
Steven Bell
Ranch Hand

Ilja,

In our defense (my post being probably the worst rant pointed towards the original poster), the first couple posts were reasonbly polite even though not incredibly helpful due to the request.

My rant came from the original posters anger at me/us for not doing his assignment (plus I was having a bad day ) Although the originators post now looks to be edited, it was filled with caps and implied that we should have just written the code him, and that it was our fault he didn't get it done.

Moving beyond that I absolutly agree that the atmosphere here at the ranch must remain friendly, respectful, and helpful.
James Carman
Ranch Hand

Agreed. Maybe we should start a new topic which is not directly related to the original poster's question where we can show off our obfuscation skills.
Ilja Preuss
author
Sheriff

Originally posted by Steven Bell:
In our defense (my post being probably the worst rant pointed towards the original poster), the first couple posts were reasonbly polite even though not incredibly helpful due to the request.

I agree that the first posts weren't particularly evil, but I can also imagine that to an already stressed out developer a "tick, tick, tick" isn't really going to ease up the situation...

My rant came from the original posters anger at me/us for not doing his assignment (plus I was having a bad day ) Although the originators post now looks to be edited, it was filled with caps and implied that we should have just written the code him, and that it was our fault he didn't get it done.

I have to admit that I didn't see that I started reading that thread when the post already seemed to be edited.

Moving beyond that I absolutly agree that the atmosphere here at the ranch must remain friendly, respectful, and helpful.

Now I will sleep better. Thanks!
Ben Souther
Sheriff

Originally posted by Steven Bell:

I didn't see anything wrong with your rant.
Without being flippant, you told the OP exactly what he needed to be told.

It's too bad more industries don't turn their backs on people who want to cheat and lie.
David O'Meara
Rancher

Originally posted by James Carman:
<hr></blockquote>

To give them a clue, why not call the variable SERIAL_UID_64 or something?[/QB]

I'm hoping the '==' is enough. For those coming in late, this is a Base64 encoded String.
James Carman
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by David O'Meara:
<hr></blockquote>

To give them a clue, why not call the variable SERIAL_UID_64 or something?[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

I'm hoping the '==' is enough. For those coming in late, this is a Base64 encoded String.[/QB]

Good point! I actually thought about that after I posted my reply. I just didn't get around to editing/deleting it.
Hentay Duke
Ranch Hand

I agree that the first posts weren't particularly evil, but I can also imagine that to an already stressed out developer a "tick, tick, tick" isn't really going to ease up the situation...

I've been on vacation since Thursday so haven't been able to keep up with the thread until now, but just wanted to respond to the above.

I really didn't mean anything evil with the "tick, tick, tick" comment just having a little fun. And in my second reply I did in fact try to at least point him in some direction, followed by another "tick, tick, tick" of course . But in my defense this was not some "stressed out developer" as has been suggested in fact this was a student in the middle of taking an exam in which he suggested he had only 30 minutes left to complete and wanted us to pass the exam for him. He couldn't figure out where to declare a variable, had no idea what to do in a constructor, and was looking for a free ride to passing the class. To in any way call this person a developer is a major stretch.

The OP didn't get offended at my "tick, tick, tick" and later thanked me for being the only one to actually offer any type of direction (rather he deserved it or not).

I apologize for and mean spirted-ness I may have started. I enjoy the friendly-ness of JavaRanch(as opposed to some other forums out there) and wouldn't want it any other way.

"Evil Hentay" - Bad seed
Nimai Etheridge
Greenhorn

evil or not, i learnt quite a bit from looking at the obsfucated code blocks...some of those were pure genius
Ilja Preuss
author
Sheriff

Originally posted by Hentay Duke:
I really didn't mean anything evil with the "tick, tick, tick" comment just having a little fun.

I assumed that.

Still, it *was* fun at the expense of the original poster, or so it seemed to me. Not particularly evil, but also not really nice...

But in my defense this was not some "stressed out developer" as has been suggested in fact this was a student in the middle of taking an exam in which he suggested he had only 30 minutes left to complete and wanted us to pass the exam for him. He couldn't figure out where to declare a variable, had no idea what to do in a constructor, and was looking for a free ride to passing the class. To in any way call this person a developer is a major stretch.

I think that if you replace "developer" by "person", my point still holds.

But no hard feelings anyway.
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff

I have to admit that I didn't see that I started reading that thread when the post already seemed to be edited.

Yes, Ilja, I really really edited that post to remove all the nasty remarks that John posted. It was really bad and very mean. The guy was in the middle of an exam and wanted answers, but was not very nice about it.

Mark

Perfect World Programming, LLC - Two Laptop Bag - Tube Organizer
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way FAQ
Joe Sondow
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Hentay Duke:
I apologize for and mean spirted-ness I may have started.

I sincerely doubt that you are in any way responsible for any mean
spirited-ness that the original poster inspired in readers. He was the one
who was acting totally inappropriately by requesting help in cheating. If
you had not posted anything, the responses likely would have been in the
same spirit of antagonism that such a request instills. And no one started
posting any revenge fantasies until after the original poster had posted
the extra-rude message that Mark had to censor so it wouldn't ruin anyone's
day. Personally I see no wrong-doing here, except by the original poster.

SCJA 1.0 (98%), SCJP 1.4 (98%)
Ilja Preuss
author
Sheriff

This is taking strange directions - as I said, to me this is not about blame, not at all, it is about raising awareness for the atmosphere of the Ranch and what we can do to sustain it.

Having said that, I don't think that any one person is fully and alone responsible for anything when it comes to how people interact.

When we write things, we can take into account how others might read it and what feelings it is likely to cause in them. And when we read things we can choose how to interprete it, wether to take it personally or not, and how we react. In my eyes, noone can dispute the responsibility for his own actions - a "but he started it" won't cut it, as it *was* *your* choice to join.

"An insult is like a drink; it affects one only if accepted." - Robert Heinlein

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: CHEECKY but i need help FAST please!