Granny's Programming Pearls
"inside of every large program is a small program struggling to get out"
JavaRanch.com/granny.jsp
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Your most hated word Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Your most hated word" Watch "Your most hated word" New topic
Author

Your most hated word

Shura Balaganov
Ranch Hand

No TV and no beer makes Homer go crazy

Jim Yingst: Who said they don't intersect? But even if they don't, that hardly implies they are parallel. It's certainly not true for lines anyway.
Homer: Uh, all this computer hacking is making me thirsty...
Shura
[ July 10, 2002: Message edited by: Shura Balaganov ]

Any posted remarks that may or may not seem offensive, intrusive or politically incorrect are not truly so.
RusUSA.com - Russian America today - Guide To Russia
Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Sheriff

"I'm not back." - Bill Harding, Twister
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff

Originally posted by Alex Ayzin:
How about "dude". Whenever I hear someone saying "hey, dude" with that special California's "Surf's Up-prononciation" I get uncontrolable urge to take this person to nearest Basic-english course and chain him there until he learns proper form of salutation/greetings.
P.S: I'm not some laid back 55 year old, I'm 29 from Brooklyn, just hate that word.
--Alex

Dude you need to chill.
Mark

Perfect World Programming, LLC - Two Laptop Bag - Tube Organizer
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way FAQ
Nanhesru Ningyake
Ranch Hand

I wouldn't classify these as "most hated", but I certainly avoid them in my conversation: appreciate, and apologize.
In a recent lecture, I heard this professor use the phrase "asymptotically speaking" in casual conversation. What do you think she meant?

Pourquoi voulez-vous mon nom?
Michael Ernest
High Plains Drifter
Sheriff

I think she meant no one was truly paying attention and so she was alleviated from any responsibility for making sense.
Dirk Schreckmann
Sheriff

Exactly.

[How To Ask Good Questions] [JavaRanch FAQ Wiki] [JavaRanch Radio]
Mapraputa Is
Leverager of our synergies
Sheriff

Nuts.
"Asymptotically speaking" means that we are closer to the truth with each next act of speaking, yet will never reach it.
Nanhesru Ningyake
Ranch Hand

It probably means the more you stretch your imagination, the closer you are to understanding what's being talked about - but you'll never fully get it
It's pretty common lingo: In Google.
Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Sheriff

It could also mean that at some point in time you will suddenly achieve infinite enlightenment, but immediately afterwards you will fall back to the normal level of your mundane existence, with no lasting effect from your experience.
Seriously though, "asymptotically speaking" could be fairly straightforward in the right context - such as one where some mathematical function is under discussion. Prefereably one that actually has, well, an asymptote. What was the lecture about?
Nanhesru Ningyake
Ranch Hand

This was cryptography... don't recall where the asymptotes featured here though

It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.

subject: Your most hated word