the trailboss abuses his CodeRanch power for his other stuff (power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely is kinda neat!)
permaculture light bulbs permaculture electric heat permaculture cast iron permaculture wood burning stove permaculture solar food dehydrators
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes What the hell are you trying to say? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "What the hell are you trying to say?" Watch "What the hell are you trying to say?" New topic
Author

What the hell are you trying to say?

Thomas Paul
mister krabs
Ranch Hand

There is one other point which everyone seems to ignore which is odd BECAUSE IT WAS THE POINT OF THIS WHOLE FRIGGIN' THREAD. (excuse me for yelling.)
If you think that Joe meant it as an insult but Joe says he didn't then that should be the end of the conversation. Suppose Joe is wrong and that the statement really is an insult. But Joe says that he didn't mean it that way. END OF STORY. Why do we have to go on for post after post after post about this. Why can't anyone simply assume that, as this thread is supposed to be about, there was a mistranslation of the outer message to the inner message regardless of who was at fault!!!

Associate Instructor - Hofstra University
Amazon Top 750 reviewer - Blog - Unresolved References - Book Review Blog
Ashok Mash
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Thomas Paul:
END OF STORY.

Sure. Oh, meanwhile, I accept that 'utterance rule' thingee, Joe. And also, I was never angry, and I did mention that I agree to your actual argument (about visa abusers).
THE END (in big gothic font, thick white letters in black background, terrible and lound background music , titles to follow...)

[ flickr ]
Joe Pluta
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Ashok Krishnan:
THE END (in big gothic font, thick white letters in black background, terrible and lound background music , titles to follow...)

{laughing}
Thanks, Ashok, I needed that. A little levity never hurts. Especially today.
Joe
HS Thomas
Ranch Hand

Try this to test what you have learned so far.

I got a post-card from a friend which said :
The marriage of brother Benny is over.
Now, did I commiserate or congratulate said friend ?
Where the post-card was from is irrelevant.
regards
[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: HS Thomas ]
Rufus BugleWeed
Ranch Hand

Let's see -
We are eliminating fore knowledge from the problem statement.
Bad news travel fast...
No news is good news...
Divorce and dissolution of the nuclear family are scourges of modern western society.
You can't go wrong with an opening of commiseration?
Not that it matters, where was the post card from?
Joe Pluta
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Rufus BugleWeed:
Joe, I have found some of your posts to be very uplifting.

By the way, thanks, Rufus. I appreciate the comments. Today is a rough day for me (as it is for so many), but at the same time, it's a glorious one, because my wife just called and told me... it's gonna be a BOY!!!
Now, of course, the socially proper and politically correct thing to say is that I would love and cherish the baby, no matter what gender (which of course I would). That in today's world of equal opportunity that the old stereotypes of boys and girls have been shattered and that I have risen above those labels and am willing to accept the baby as simply a new human, with all the wonderful possibilities that that entails.
And I do.
Really, all of that is true.

But... but... it's a BOY!!!

Joe
Jason Menard
Sheriff

Originally posted by Joe Pluta:
But... but... it's a BOY!!!

Congrats! That's awesome! Best wishes to you and your wife.
HS Thomas
Ranch Hand

Congratulations!

Here's to the Pluta family.
regards
Jason Menard
Sheriff

And I bet you've already got a name picked out: Ravish.
HS Thomas
Ranch Hand

posted by Rufus BugleWeed
Divorce and dissolution of the nuclear family are scourges of modern western society.
You can't go wrong with an opening of commiseration?

Pause! Stop! Think! Should I rush to take your advice ?
Are there other ways the message can be construed?
Would a message of commiseration be easier to play down if it was wrong ?
Perhaps I should call the Foreign Service in.
regards
[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: HS Thomas ]
Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Sheriff

Congrats, Joe. I've not been in this situation myself yet, but I'm thinking that I'd probably enjoy "It's a BOY!" or "It's a GIRL!" equally - either way though, what's cool is that you have the extra bit of info that allows you to think of the new person a bit more concretely. I.e. either one beats "It's an IT!". And now you get to discard half your name ideas (at least until the next kid).

"I'm not back." - Bill Harding, Twister
Rufus BugleWeed
Ranch Hand

Perhaps I should call the Foreign Service in.

I think the Foreign Service is some British entity. I'm showing some cultural ignorance here, but yeah. If you can get them on the case go for it.
P.S.S. I feel I'm being set up.
On the other hand, I think "I'm really sorry to hear that" is much easier to worm out of than "Excellant!"
Why don't you just as the bloke? Jeez :roll:
Joe Pluta
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Jason Menard:

Oh boy! I haven't truly laughed out loud at an online post in a looong time, but this did the trick! (And absolutely no disrespect to you intended, Ravish!)
My wife is worried because I am such a huge Lilo and Stitch fan... she has already said I can NOT name the baby Stitch...
Joe
Joe Pluta
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Jim Yingst:
(at least until the next kid)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh no. No no no no no no. I'm WAY too told for any more kids. Considering the fact that I'm already a Grampa, if you guessed that this baby is an "unexpected wonder" you'd be right. No, we'll accept God's will on this one, but Dr. Snippy is going to make sure this is the last time... .
Joe
Anonymous
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Joe Pluta:

Oh boy! I haven't truly laughed out loud at an online post in a looong time, but this did the trick! (And absolutely no disrespect to you intended, Ravish!)
My wife is worried because I am such a huge Lilo and Stitch fan... she has already said I can NOT name the baby Stitch...
Joe

Some interesting names on this 9/11
Benjamin Amsterdam Pluta (Amsterdam is Old NY Name - Tribute to NY)
(You can call your son Ben as a short name)
Joshua Gotham Pluta (Gotham again NY)
(Short name Josh)
Eli Manhatta Pluta (Manhatta - Native Indian name for NY)
Anonymous
Ranch Hand

Congrats...........
Mapraputa Is
Leverager of our synergies
Sheriff

Benjamin Amsterdam Pluta
Joshua Gotham Pluta
Eli Manhatta Pluta

:roll:
How about Tom?

Uncontrolled vocabularies
"I try my best to make *all* my posts nice, even when I feel upset" -- Philippe Maquet
Anonymous
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by <I Killed Kenny>:

Hooo my goddddd u killed kenny!!!
hooo my goddd u kenny killer!!!
Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Sheriff

Benjamin Amsterdam Pluta (Amsterdam is Old NY Name - Tribute to NY)
I thought it was the old name for Amsterdam. Perhaps you mane "Benjamin New Amsterdam Pluta".
Joshua Gotham Pluta (Gotham again NY)
Except most people nowadays will think of Batman, not NYC. :roll:
Eli Manhatta Pluta (Manhatta - Native Indian name for NY)
And everyone will ask "why'd you forget the 'n'?"
Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Sheriff

You know Joe, it's really too bad you're not having a girl. You could've named her Mapra.
Anonymous
Ranch Hand

well, different people has different taste ...
Mapraputa Is
Sheriff

Jim!
If I promise to name my son Jim, will you promise to name your daughter Mapraputa?
Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Sheriff

You already promised that. Is it close enough if I get Joe to name his kid Mapra Pluta? Joe, do you perchance have a daughter already? Any chance we can get her to change her own name?
[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: Jim Yingst ]
Anonymous
Ranch Hand

Now both of ya get together and should produce kids together and name 'em Map Jr and Jim Jr
Thomas Paul
mister krabs
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Jim Yingst:
Is it close enough if I get Joe to name his kid Mapra Pluta?
ROFLMAO
HS Thomas
Ranch Hand

Why don't you just as the bloke? Jeez

I could ask the person, but as I've been friends for some time I couldn't display that much insensitivity. Which of the following are possible:
The marriage of Brother Benny is over.
The wedded-lock of Brother Benny is over.
The party is over.
The hoop-la is over.
Well, to some (I was going to say cultures but this is becoming less
and less relevant) , the concept of marriage having no end just does not arise. The word "marriage" is only used in the context of the actual wedding ceremony.
Two get married , the marriage, are married. End of story.Marriage is a process one goes through like coming of age.The word wedding,on the other hand, is just extra-noise and redundant.Two get wedded, the wedding , are wedded, though technically correct, is not common parlance in any culture.
I wouldn't find it easy to use any phrase that wasn't acceptable to the intended audience. Each audience has it's standards. And it's up to the individual to decide where they want to fit in. I suppose a community like this is currently largely western ( due to faster internet connections and lower prices)
Unfortunately what are seen to be high-standards, slip every now and then to be replaced by the more useful(by the fact that it is used more) in current context. The English Dictionary has been updated recently to include words after research in pockets of the populations. This used to include Americanisms but now more and more words from other populations are adopted.
At one time efforts were made to keep Americanism out of the English language until American TV made it common parlance. Why couldn't Americans have learned English in the first place ! Because the language wasn't that useful to them.
I think JavaRanch should start it's own dictionary in the future!
At the moment your audience is largely American, Western European and Indian.
Wait till China , Africa , Russia , Eastern Europe get going. They might have something JavaRanch would like to hear.
Joe is going to have his work cut out trying to keep up with little Ravish's colloquillisms .

regards
[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: HS Thomas ]
Mapraputa Is
Sheriff

Is it close enough if I get Joe to name his kid Mapra Pluta?

Ok, Jim you won. This time.
At the moment your audience is largely American, Western European and Indian. Wait till China , Africa , Russia
Already Joe learned a new word from me.
HS Thomas
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Thomas Paul.
ROFLMAO - (Rolling On the Floor Laughing My Ass Off)

I thought Thomas Paul had given us a new word - or a new kid's name.

I think Map, Thomas Paul and Joe should be voted Word Watch Sheriff's.
And Jim Yingst to keep the peace! A similar thread like this could be started when the poster presses a button whatever and he/she could state their objections.
Bad idea I guess! They'll be throwing in words just to see who cops it first of apploplexy.
regards
[ September 12, 2003: Message edited by: HS Thomas ]
R K Singh
Ranch Hand

I did not know that I am that famous .. someone told me on mail that Pluta is going to name Ravish his son..
and it took me one hr to find this .. [not expecting in this thread ]
Wishing all the best to Pluta family ..
we will wait for good news.
[ September 13, 2003: Message edited by: R K Singh ]

"Thanks to Indian media who has over the period of time swiped out intellectual taste from mass Indian population." - Chetan Parekh
R K Singh
Ranch Hand

when I read first post in this page .. I thought of replying and thanks God .. I waited till the last post ..
Now I think with a good news from Joe let us say THE END.

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: What the hell are you trying to say?