File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Cultural differences Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Cultural differences" Watch "Cultural differences" New topic
Author

Cultural differences

Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Sheriff

When did we sign up two more states?
We annexed Gondor and Rohan at the end of the movie. But don't tell Davy.

"I'm not back." - Bill Harding, Twister
Davy Kelly
Ranch Hand

I am going to see it on Monday night Jim, cause I have just finished a twelve and a half hour shift today, it is 22.30 here in Scotland and I am about to go to my bed for another shift tomorrow.
I hope i will enjoy the movie on Monday

How simple does it have to be???
Davy Kelly
Ranch Hand

well I thought america had 52 states, obviously i was wrong, but yahoo here says it/you have 51?!?!?! so which of you american people thought you had 50???
Yahoo directory of US states :roll:
Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Sheriff

Yahoo's listing is incorrect. Washington, D.C. isn't a state, it's a district, with unique status. It's one of those things we do to confuse foreigners, in retaliation for all the England/Britain/UK/Commonwealth confusion.
Davy Kelly
Ranch Hand

OK,
so i was wrong, after all I am a foreigner.......
please don't hold that against me?!?!?!
Davy
HS Thomas
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Davy Kelly:
twelve and a half hour shift today

Now that's a cultural difference. In England you won't catch anyone working those hours.There's a law against that.

Annual hours worked per person, latest years

[ January 18, 2004: Message edited by: HS Thomas ]
HS Thomas
Ranch Hand

Annual hours worked per person, selected developed (industrialized) economies, 1990-2001

There are variations of course.
Police officers in France take so much time off that 10 people are needed to fill every post.
John Dunn
slicker
Ranch Hand

Now maybe that is another reason why the French & Germans did not want war. Someone would actually have to DO it. Yikes!! In a 9-5 world, you're better off being a protester.

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does."
Davy Kelly
Ranch Hand

Well, half of my work yesterday was overtime, to help out, so I guess if any potential employers are out there, I am hard working and willing to do over time!!! Please?!?!?!?!?!?
Davy
Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Sheriff

[Davy]: I have just finished a twelve and a half hour shift today, it is 22.30 here in Scotland and I am about to go to my bed for another shift tomorrow.
[HST]: Now that's a cultural difference. In England you won't catch anyone working those hours.There's a law against that.

And yet this difference between England and Scotland doesn't show up at all on the attached map or graph. Could it be that Davy's comment is just one data point, unsafe to make generalizations from? Or were you maybe thinking Davy was posting from somewhere else?
HS Thomas
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Jim Yingst:
[b]And yet this difference between England and Scotland doesn't show up at all on the attached map or graph. Could it be that Davy's comment is just one data point, unsafe to make generalizations from? Or were you maybe thinking Davy was posting from somewhere else?

No I read where Davy (What else but a Scots pet name ; in Welsh would be Dai) was posting from Scotland. Now we know he meant overtime I think the map is less confusing.
I am not sure working hours are a cultural difference, anymore. Unless you take Spanish influences like siesta into consideration. In Europe the EU may have something to say about that eventually.
HS Thomas
Ranch Hand

Having touched on the subject of policemen, you may have heard on the news that Indian policemen are going to get Rs 30 more to grow a moustache. It gives them a more authoritative appearance. I think that's something the local Bobby on the beat could take up. More Grouchos like these and who'd need guns anyway.
This BTW isn't a picture of an Indian policeman but just check out what the competition could be like...

In the West taches are considered a bit shady,(possibly with the exception of Spain and Portugal) ,beards are considered well-suited to mad scientists. Otherwise difficult to carry off.
[ January 19, 2004: Message edited by: HS Thomas ]
Davy Kelly
Ranch Hand

Jim,
I wish I was posting from somewhere else, like Australia, Fiji, Singapore, Thailand, but I am stuck here in rainy Glasgow.
going over my java so that I can maybe take my exam in february.
Davy
HS Thomas
Ranch Hand

KEY INDICATORS OF THE LABOUR MARKET is where the maps and tables originate from.
So, we have gotten past each others' toiletry arrangements (washlets and Eau de toilette), preferences to taches, working hours as dictated by our governments (?) and as far as Little People go the Brits prefer Gollum to Legolas as a character.
Though Sam seems severely overlooked. It's always the quiet ones!
[ January 19, 2004: Message edited by: HS Thomas ]
Sadanand Murthy
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:

I must've been napping. When did we sign up two more states?

In 2002 & 2003:
Afghanistan & Iraq

Ever Existing, Ever Conscious, Ever-new Bliss
John Dunn
slicker
Ranch Hand

Back to cultural differences:
Paris, France:

Paris, Kentucky:
HS Thomas
Ranch Hand

ROCK BOTTOM is where the thread lies.