• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

reservations in Indian private sector( the idea sucks)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Helen Thomas:
Globalisation itself is run on quotas - it's not market driven but driven by forces creating markets and values.

Micro economics has small correlation with how segregation happened, how it is tried to be corrected, how the segregated people after enjoying the benefits started misusing it, how the poor on the other side of the segregated lot got creamed due to the circumstance.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Paul McKenna:

Here is the thing that is perhaps being missed. If I practise segregation in my hiring practices then the consumers have the choice of boycotting my products thereby forcing me to change my hiring practice. Isnt that a better way of enforcing regulation as compared to government asking me to fill say 10% of my employees with people from different ethnic backgrounds.

Consumers everywhere in the world are not same.Some protest immediately and boycott the products themselves whereas some consumers don't care and some consumers are not even aware that they are being cheated.In Indian context majority of consumers used to fall in last category.For initial few years,first few govts. had no options but to give full freedom to industralists knowing that many don't hire based on 'equal opportunity'.This was needed to increase in industrialization.Consumer movement too came into existance lately.and many Indian laws were in the partial.Consumer had little choice or option to choose.(Even today Indian consumer can rarely fight with any company bcos of partial laws.They are in the favour of company)To give the opportunity to 'others' whom they felt they are left behind in the race,quota/reservations came in govt. organizations.Many private industrial houses had partial hiring strategy.These practices were even dominant in computer industry in India till late 80s.Generally in these companies,people used to see management guys,and HR Manager and technial people sometimes belong to same state (means speak the same regional language).But these companies were used to be in profit.Take the example of biggest conglomerate which has 104 different companies in various sectors.If you gloss over their annual report,you used to see for its say Chemical company,management belongs some state X,for Consultancy,management belongs to some other state Y.I think in private sector,your mother tounge sometimes used to play important role than your religion or cast.That does not mean people are always hired based only on that criteria.Given two persons with equal talent and same skills,there was a tendency to hire a person who is familiar with your mother toungue.Now this practises are rapidly vanishing with increase in competition.

[ June 10, 2004: Message edited by: Ram Abdullah D'Souza ]
[ June 11, 2004: Message edited by: Ram Abdullah D'Souza ]

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
AP is introducing reservations for Muslims.

Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Pradeep Bhat:
AP is introducing reservations for Muslims.

YSR has already started digging his grave.

First he gives all the miniserial posts to guys from 'Telangana', mostly ignores the coastal andhra districts(especially east and west godavari, which gave almost 100% support to congress this time around), now he is doing this ha. Really beats me that all the posts like speaker, TTD chairman etc are given to people with 'Reddy' in their name. At least babu was accomodative for other castes for such posts(ofcourse he has a little bit of other bias)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
this is a very sad state of affairs... reminds me of Mandal days. sometimes i wonder to what extent these politicians can go to please their target voters.

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Not necessary.Quality might improve also.How many Indian companies can say they are best in the world

Infy, Wipro among world's top 100 tech firms

Ugly Redneck
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Pradeep Bhat:

Why are you , of all the people, posting a "Trash of India" link???

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
http://in.rediff.com/news/2004/jun/18kp.htm

My previous laptop never exploded like that. Read this tiny ad while I sweep up the shards.
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic