wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Bills are bad.... again.  :( Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Bills are bad.... again.  :(" Watch "Bills are bad.... again.  :(" New topic
Author

Bills are bad.... again. :(

Thomas Paul
mister krabs
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Jason Menard:
Well, after Sunday's game there's still no evidence that the J-E-T-S are anything other than mediocre.
So the Jets play the Super Bowl champs on the road and lose a close game and therefore they are mediocre. I always thought New England sports fans were very smart (and the riots after the Sox beat the Yankees simply furthers that impression) but surely your definition of mediocre isn't "anyone who loses a game."

As to my Giants, they are the definition of mediocre. They lose at home to a team they should have beaten after playing well on the road twice in a row. The new NFL - in any given week, any team can suck.

Associate Instructor - Hofstra University
Amazon Top 750 reviewer - Blog - Unresolved References - Book Review Blog
Thomas Paul
mister krabs
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Ray Marsh:
Its going to be a horse race for the bottom of the league. There are several early favorites.

Here's the list of 1 game winners.
- Buffalo
- Miami
- Chicago
- San Francisco
- Carolina

I think Miami is the class of that group. Now that they have won a game, I think they are fully capable of going without a win the rest of the way.
Jason Menard
Sheriff

Originally posted by Thomas Paul:
So the Jets play the Super Bowl champs on the road and lose a close game and therefore they are mediocre.

Actually I said (and you quoted) that there is no evidence that they are anything other than mediocre. They beat a bunch of bad teams and lost to the only good team they played. That certainly isn't evidence that they are one of the better teams in the league.

As for it being a "close" game (and therefore presumably meaning that they Jets must therefore be good), obviously you haven't seen the previous 21 successive games New England has won. Their general philosophy is to jump out to a lead (40 1st quarter pts scored, best in league) and then play a conservative game of field position and clock management (18 pts allowed in 4th quarter, seconde best in league). It's not only worked for them, it's deluded several teams into thinking they were more competitive with them than they really are.
Ray Marsh
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Jason Menard:
...Their (Pats) general philosophy is to jump out to a lead (40 1st quarter pts scored, best in league) and then play a conservative game of field position and clock management (18 pts allowed in 4th quarter, seconde best in league). It's not only worked for them, it's deluded several teams into thinking they were more competitive with them than they really are.

Yeah... the Bills looked like they were playing football for the whole first half! Too bad they had to play 2 halves! :roll:

In the Jets defense (and I do not like the Jets) they haven't proved if they are really good or not. Beating bad teams means you don't stink and losing to a team like the Pats with a respectable score means you're not as good as they are... or at least you weren't on that day, anyhow.

Good teams find a way to win, bad teams find a way to lose. The Jets at least didn't beat themselves -vs- the Pats. They went out there and played, unfortunately they didn't play as well as their opponent.

The Bills, on the other hand, seem to be able to find a way to lose to just about anybody this year!

Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strength. – Charles Spurgeon
Ray Marsh
Ranch Hand

The Bills are trying to break my heart. They started playing good too soon. Darn them all to heck! Now I have fight off the insidious thoughts of the play-offs. "They could end up 10 and 5, even 9 and 6 might make the dance...." arrrgh! Darn them! I know they are just setting me up.

Maybe if I bang my head on a brick wall 10 times, I'll stop thinking about it.
Thomas Paul
mister krabs
Ranch Hand

I think this game clearly showed that the Jets are no better than mediocre. You can't lose to a team like the Bills (especially when they are a division rival) and expect to go anywhere. The Jets only hope is a wildcard which means winning three road games in the playoffs.

The Giants, on the other hand, are back to the season that I thought they would have. With the coach they have they will get better but they just aren't playing smart football right now.
Amanda Leigh
Ranch Hand

I have to jump in and brag about my Pittsburgh Steelers!! Did anyone else watch the Eagles get killed? Wow First the Pats then the Eagles.
Ray Marsh
Ranch Hand

I picked Pittsburgh as a dark horse, earlier this season. Although they have already come out as a front runner in many people's opinions. Knocking off the two remaining un-defeated teams in as many weeks is quite impressive, especially in the manner that they did it.

I really don't think the Bills have any real play-off hopes, unless the Jets totally self-destruct, which I don't think will happen. The Pats are for real and will be in the front of the pack all year. They will be ready for Pittsburgh, if they see them in the play-offs. Then there's the Colts who are a lot better than their 5-3 record indicates.

The way I see it the AFC is wide open. There are at least 6 teams that can take the AFC crown: Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, New England, Denver or San Diego. There are a few other possibilities but they are too flawed. Baltimore has no offense and the Jets just aren't as good as their record indicates.

Its going to be a fun year.

permaculture playing cards

subject: Bills are bad.... again. :(