File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP) and the fly likes Am I ready (v. 1001)? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Bookmark "Am I ready (v. 1001)?" Watch "Am I ready (v. 1001)?" New topic
Author

Am I ready (v. 1001)?

Bert Bates
author
Sheriff

Congrats Marcus!

That's a fine result!

Now that you're an official guru we hope you'll stick around the ranch and help out the new candidates and ranchers

Bert

Spot false dilemmas now, ask me how!
(If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much room.)
Brian Legg
Ranch Hand

Congrats to a fellow struggler!!

I've been doing the same thing, keep telling everyone I will get the cert in X amount of time and then get harassed for not already having it. My scores aren't as high as yours yet, I am mostly struggling with the advanced generics, APIs, and Collections. I think after I get those 3 topics completely down I'll be able to get a high enough score to pass without sweating to death. Just now I got a 50% on the Whizlabs SCJP6.0 master exam... so I have a bit more to go but I am improving which is the most important aspect.

4.5 months studying so far.

EDIT: I also have found the "Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Study Guide" questions to be very difficult. I am praying that they are harder than the real exam in order to make the real-deal easier. I am reading it a second time now (lots of information to digest in there).
[ November 11, 2008: Message edited by: Brian Legg ]

SCJA
~Currently preparing for SCJP6
Marcus Moreno
Ranch Hand

If you have only 50% in the mock exams, I would concentrate more on reading and on doing lots of programming exercises.

I realized that when you have done some mocks, just doing mocks won't make you any better (see e.g. see my results, they were always around 75%).
Imho it's better to take a result, see were you have to improve the most, then read everything related to this topic, and do some programming in this area. Also writing down the things you don't know and learning them by heart will def. help you.
Brian Legg
Ranch Hand

Thanks for the tip!! I feel that I at least know what I need to know, you know?

Most of the questions I miss are either small things I didn't notice (gotchas) or collection or API questions. Well, time to go study some more. I'll be taking the test over again here in a bit, I'll have to post my new results.
Bert Bates
author
Sheriff

Hi Brian,

I think the book's questions might be a little bit harder than the questions on the real exam (mostly because they often say "Choose all that apply" and the real exam always tells you how many answers are correct).

But, I don't think that they are that much harder! To be safe I would recommend that you get a passing score on the book's mocks before you try the real thing.

good luck,

Bert
Rosana Leonard
Greenhorn

Thanks for the advice, Jasper.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.

subject: Am I ready (v. 1001)?