wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Whats the best computer game you played? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Whats the best computer game you played?" Watch "Whats the best computer game you played?" New topic
Author

Whats the best computer game you played?

Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand

Scorched Earth. I love that game! There is also a Scorched Earth3D that you can play miltuplayer. Not as much as as the original though.

GenRocket - A Test Data Generation Platform
Sania Marsh
Ranch Hand

Out of 2-3 that I ever played - Prehistoric (12-15 years ago)
Andrew Monkhouse
author and jackaroo
Marshal Commander

Originally posted by Michael Ernest:
Dark Castle (from the 80's, on the Mac)

Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:
Oh, man, yes! Dark Castle and Dark Castle II. That was great fun!
I'll third that. I remember taking my Mac SE home from work on weekends just so I could play that.

The Sun Certified Java Developer Exam with J2SE 5: paper version from Amazon, PDF from Apress, Online reference: Books 24x7 Personal blog
Varun Khanna
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Sankar Subbiah:

If you have good internet connection, you should try online. It is fun.

I tried once and it wasn't fun for me. I was defeated in minutes. I am not that bad a player but the other guy was amazingly fast within minutes he reached the "Castle age" don't know how

- Varun
David Ulicny
Ranch Hand

Fall Out 2

SCJP<br />SCWCD <br />ICSD(286)<br />MCP 70-216
frank davis
Ranch Hand

I squandered much of my life on AOE 1 & 2, but eventually came to my senses. But now there is Rome Total War, which is actually quite a bit more combat realistic and historically accurate... [also new expansion pack due soon]
Varun Khanna
Ranch Hand

Surprisingly no takers for "Rise of Nations" so far !! :roll:
Patrick van Zandbeek
Ranch Hand

Acorn Electron: Thrust
Commodore 64: Crackdown
Amiga 500: Sword of Aragon
PC game: Daggerfall
PC Sim: MS Flight Simulator 2004
PS2: Final Fantasy X
Xbox: ESPN 2k5

Couldn't decide on one game across all platforms so decided to split them up.
[ August 30, 2005: Message edited by: Patrick van Zandbeek ]

u is a letter, not a word.
Jason Menard
Sheriff

Originally posted by Patrick van Zandbeek:
Amiga 500: Sword of Aragon

I think I remember that one. That's the one where you could choose to be a male warrior or a very butch looking female warrior, right? I think it was a sideways scroller. The main selling point was the tremendous amount of blood, and you could hack off your enemies heads. Ah yes... mindless violence. Am I thinking of the right game?
Patrick van Zandbeek
Ranch Hand

tremendous amounts of blood?
Hacking off heads?

No no no, well maybe heads were hacked off but you didn't get to see that.

Sword of Aragon was a strategy kind of game, you begin in this city, could set basic taxes and choose what unit to build, nothing much else as I recall. You could then explore your surroundings in a turn based system. After you defended the city against goblins or something.

Now the really cool part is that the strategy game was very very good. You had units which could stack and work together, cavalry, wizard and priest characters that could use spells, all from top down perspective. Archers raining down wooden death from above on far off enemy units. Ah, sheer excellence.

The graphics weren't much, but the gameplay was unbeatable in it's genre.
Jason Menard
Sheriff

Had it confused with another game I guess. Sounds fun though.
Anand Prabhu
Ranch Hand

Not much of a Games person. But when I played a while ago, I liked Prince of Persia 2 a lot. I played Riven and Myst too but coudn't go far as that needed quite a lot of attention and time.
Mark Fletcher
Ranch Hand

Elite is another great game, I cant believe I forgot.

Often imitated, never surpassed.

Mark Fletcher - http://www.markfletcher.org/blog
I had some Java certs, but they're too old now...
Mark Fletcher
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Patrick van Zandbeek:
Xbox: ESPN 2k5

I second that. More playable and better gfx than the tat that EA have put out. We bought NCAA 2k6 and Madden 2k6 and returned both of them to the shops. The only thing that I thought was better about the Madden series was the training camps.

Damn you EA! Damn you to hell!
Patrick van Zandbeek
Ranch Hand

Yep, have madden 2005 as well but it just misses the spark espn has.

Can't get ncaa though, since there is no PAL version. From the sounds of it I'm not missing much though.

Ooh Elite! I forgot about that. Actually, it was Elite II on the Amiga that really did it for me. That deserves top pick as well. I was completely surprised by many sunrises while playing that.
Mani Venkatesan
Ranch Hand

Doom (too addictive)
Asteroids (good time pass)

Mani<br /><a href="http://ideanimal.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">blog</a>
Gerald Davis
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Mani Venkatesan:
Doom (too addictive)
Asteroids (good time pass)

I loved playing Doom, I would even more if I had that Blue linghning 486 computer.

Unless it is multiplaye,3D person shooters don't do it for me, even if some of the AI charactors got some attude problem. There are so many 3D persons shooters out there that I wonder if any programming skills are required to create a new 3D game. Just change a few skins and environments with a tool like the quake level creation tool.
Raghavendra nandavar
Ranch Hand

Medal Of Honour Allied Assault (MOHAA)
and Project IGI... coz I completed both and graphics is cool
Juhan Voolaid
Ranch Hand

Raibow Six series
NBA Live series
Jagadesh cs
Ranch Hand

Warcraft... the best i have played . Im mad about it.

Cheers,<br />Jagadesh.<br /> <br />--------------------------------<br />SCJP 1.4 , SCBCD 1.3 , SCWCD 1.4<br />--------------------------------
David O'Meara
Rancher

Warcraft or WoW? I used a 2 week WoW trial from a friend and was greatful when the trial ended, I got my life back
Jason Menard
Sheriff

Originally posted by Jagadesh cs:
Warcraft... the best i have played . Im mad about it.

"Jagdesh cs",

Your display name does not comply with the JavaRanch naming policy. Please re-read this policy and edit your display name in order to comply. You have been asked at least once before about this matter. Failure to correct this will result in your account being locked. Thanks in advance.
Marc Peabody
pie sneak
Sheriff

Originally posted by Varun Khanna:
Surprisingly no takers for "Rise of Nations" so far !! :roll:

Very adddictive, but not THAT much better than any other RTS, so I couldn't justify adding it as a favorite.

A good workman is known by his tools.
Bob Jones
Greenhorn

3 different flight simulators, courtsey of the USAF. All Fully functional controls and cockpit instrumentation, 6 degrees of freedom of movement, multiple screens that make one continous "picture" out the front windows. Simulates weather, flying environments around the world, hostile aircraft.
stara szkapa
Ranch Hand

poker
Gerald Davis
Ranch Hand

I would love to try Warcraft but I am affraid that I would have to start playing it as an newbie. I prefer to stick with Starcraft because I am a bad ass player and a evil backstabber who can turn allie agenst allie.

Does anyone know is it possible to backstab an alie in Warcraft?
[ September 11, 2005: Message edited by: Gerald Davis ]
peter wooster
Ranch Hand

My votes go to:

Civilization III - a huge waste of time, but I did get to nuke the enemy once, lost that game but it was fun

Riven - by far the best of the original 3 Myst series games

Populous - the original on the Amiga

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Whats the best computer game you played?