wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Jobs Discussion and the fly likes Is India a tough place to work for meat eaters? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of OCM Java EE 6 Enterprise Architect Exam Guide this week in the OCMJEA forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Careers » Jobs Discussion
Bookmark "Is India a tough place to work for meat eaters?" Watch "Is India a tough place to work for meat eaters?" New topic
Author

Is India a tough place to work for meat eaters?

Gabriel Claramunt
Ranch Hand

This deserves a movie quote:
Vincent: Want some bacon?
Jules: No man, I don't eat pork.
Vincent: Are you Jewish?
Jules: Nah, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all.
Vincent: Why not?
Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.
Originally posted by Tim Holloway:

Why pork?

1. Because God said so. Or, if you prefer,
2. Because pigs and humans are remarkably similar and people can therefore catch a wide array of diseases from them such as swine flu and trichinosis.
3. Or because the flesh of the swine is reported to taste like human flesh (sometimes known as "long pig") and cannibalism is generally not considered acceptable in civilized society - excluding Christian Communion, which most sects consider more symbolic than literal.
4. Because while pigs aren't actually as fond of filth as they're reputed to be, they can be found wallowing in it; pigs don't have sweat glands and they can't pant like dogs, so they cool their skin with mud.
5. Failing that, because pigs are fairly smart, and it's preferable to kill dumb animals - not that even the lowliest creature won't actively try and avoid being killed, given a choice.

Gabriel
Software Surgeon
Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand

I'll do the honors(in reference to post about this heading for the can)

India is a land of contradiction, cows are allegedly sacred but we are among the top 3 exporters are leather. Despite all this talk of compassion for the cows. Animals are treated extremely poorly in India.
Also I want to point out there is ample evidence to suggest early Hindus did eat beef, there is debate as to around what time and why they chose to disown the practice. Sometimes it can be fun to deny own heritage and wave saffron.
[ June 24, 2008: Message edited by: Arvind Birla ]

I want to be like marc
Muni Sammy
Ranch Hand

if you have time come to mannadi @ Chennai , where you will lots of Meats with super taste
John King
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Prad Dip:
You are free to take as many cockroaches as you want.

It sounds like you tried them before. Are they tasty? Do you have the recipe?
Sunil Kumar Gupta
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by John King:

Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability.
My Blog | Red5 Resources | Technology Update | Daily Technology Tips
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Dear John,

I am a vegetarian. You can taste them and let others know about it here. OK?

Groovy
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Sunil Kumar Gupta:

You laugh so easily. :roll:
Mark Herschberg
Sheriff

This thread began as relevant because conditions in a country/locale are relevant to those considering employment there. It seems to have digressed into a discussion about dietary restrictions in general and comments that don't seem to further the initial or related questions. I'm going to leave this open, if it drifts back to the original topic, we'll leave it here, if it continues as is (which is fine), we'll close it here and move it to Meaningless Drivel (simply because that's the most appropriate place for it on the Ranch, not a comment on the topic itself).

--Mark
Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Mark Herschberg:
This thread began as relevant because conditions in a country/locale are relevant to those considering employment there. It seems to have digressed into a discussion about dietary restrictions in general and comments that don't seem to further the initial or related questions. I'm going to leave this open, if it drifts back to the original topic, we'll leave it here, if it continues as is (which is fine), we'll close it here and move it to Meaningless Drivel (simply because that's the most appropriate place for it on the Ranch, not a comment on the topic itself).

--Mark

congrats on reaching 5900 posts !
John King
Ranch Hand

You are free to take as many cockroaches as you want.

Do you feel uncomfortable or offended when someone (e.g., your co-worker, classmate, neighbor, friend, even a stranger, ...) is eating a burger or a hotdog in front of you? Or even talking about beef or pork?
Sandip Sankeshwar
Ranch Hand

I always hold AK-47.Even somebody says P of pork or B of beef infront of me ,murder counter increases by one.
Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand

Do you feel uncomfortable or offended when someone (e.g., your co-worker, classmate, neighbor, friend, even a stranger, ...) is eating a burger or a hotdog in front of you? Or even talking about beef or pork?

It depends upon individual. I never tested even an egg. But when I go out with friends, I don�t mind if they ear non-veg items.

My blood is tested +ve for Java.
David O'Meara
Rancher

Sandip, please read Marks earlier warning. This is the type of comment that could get an informative thread trashed.
Rambo Prasad
Ranch Hand

It varies from person to person..For example my parents will not even enter a restaurant which serves non veg food..They say the same spoons and utensils which were used to cook non veg items may be used to cook vegetarian items...But I don't mind a non vegetarian sharing the table with me..

Helping hands are much better than the praying lips
Anand Prabhu
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Teguh Roth:
I will have to live and work in India for around 10 months.One of my friend who recently was in Mumbai said it is very difficult for meat eaters to live in India and people look upon meat eaters like they have commited a crime.

He also sent me some links.
http://www.livemint.com/Articles/2007/09/23182422/In-Mumbai-one-person8217s.html?atype=tp

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/06/01/news/reveg.php

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/09/16/india.eye.vegetarian/

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2006/06/18/INGQCJEDCE1.DTL

Have any non indians worked before in India.?What are the problems you encountered?

Question to Indian vegetarians Why are you guys vegetarians?Any reason behind this?

[ June 17, 2008: Message edited by: Teguh Roth ]

India is a land of extremes and it is not possible to define it singularly. Exiistence of many cultures, religions, cusines, languages is the order of the day. There are some zones(or some buildings in a zone) where the people are fanatically vegetarian. But in general, it is not difficult to get chicken, fish, lamb dishes. In general, Christian and Muslim dominated localities do serve non vegetarian dishes in variety. So do Goan, Bengali or many other Hindu areas where non-vegetarian dishes are freely available. Prominently Jains, some sections of Hindu Brahmins, Gujaratis or some Tamilian Brahmin are very inclined towards vegeterianism and are not comfortable with non-vegetarian dishes in their proximity. So just ask your Indian co-workers and you will get a plethora of choices for non-vegeratian dishes and enjoy!
Appu Chan
Greenhorn

Originally posted by Tim Holloway:
Unlike cats, which must have meat to survive, human beings are quite capable of thriving on a meatless diet, and no few of us would certainly do better cutting back on the Big Macs. My own personal bent is that animals don't like to be killed any more than I would, so I try to oblige them. I can't classify myself as vegetarian, but I do prefer to keep the body count down. And frankly, this idea that people crave meat is purely psychological. While I can enjoy the occasional well-prepared meat dish, if I never had meat again it wouldn't ruin my gustatory life. Plus, I don't have to work as hard to keep my cholesterol down.

So, in short, don't let your diet constrain you. If you try, you'll probably find enough meat, and who knows - you might even discover you like the vegetarian life.

Excellent writeup Tim, except for the cat part! We used to have many cats at my home which were pure veggies! We feed them milk and all the normal food we cook at home including rice, sambar, roti etc and it used to eat and be happy. I think food is more about what one is used to than what one should take.

Btw, I am born in a vegetarian family but likes non-veg partly due to curiosity and a traveling job. I also enjoy food from various places and dont have any restrictions.
John King
Ranch Hand

Eat Rats?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2553352/Eat-rats-for-snacks-says-Indian-official.html
Anand Prabhu
Ranch Hand

What does this link have to do with the discussion? Does this help the original poster with his decisions on the availability of meat in India and the cultural preferences in India? Or if I were to follow the thread and your cynical questions, can I conclude that you delight in mocking Indian culture and beliefs?
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

I have a question to those in US - Whether vegetables are available throughout US[vilages or smaller towns or whatever you call it as ] or only in big cities ?
Gabriel Claramunt
Ranch Hand

I have a question to those in US - Whether vegetables are available throughout US[vilages or smaller towns or whatever you call it as ] or only in big cities ?

AFAIK, with the exception of extremely remote and harsh regions, fresh vegetables are available almost anywhere in the world...
Rambo Prasad
Ranch Hand

AFAIK, with the exception of extremely remote and harsh regions, fresh vegetables are available almost anywhere in the world...

Are vegetables and vegetarian dishes more costlier than meat and non veg food in USA and other European countries.Will a vegetarian have to spend more for his food compared to a non vegetarian...?
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Rambo Prasad:

Are vegetables and vegetarian dishes more costlier than meat and non veg food in USA and other European countries.Will a vegetarian have to spend more for his food compared to a non vegetarian...?

In UK the veggie dish at almost same price as non veg. They are not cheaper.
Teguh Roth
Greenhorn

I returned back from India.It was a great experience.There is too much of diversity in India.I enjoyed my stay in India.There were so many varieties of vegetarian dishes in India.I have seen this in no other country I have been to.I really liked the vegetarian way of life there,though it is difficult from me to do that since I am from Indonesia,where we are used to eating too much of meat.

I not only like the food,I liked the friendly people,their way of life.I stayed in Mumbai and Bangalore,attented the art of living programme
http://www.artofliving.org/Programmes/StressEliminationProgrammes/tabid/287/Default.aspx

I wish I visit India more often in the future.
[ December 11, 2008: Message edited by: Teguh Roth ]
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Good to hear that. Hope you got to eat some non vegetarian food like chicken and mutton.
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Gabriel Claramunt wrote:

Yes they are

It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.

subject: Is India a tough place to work for meat eaters?