wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes This is what you call guts!! Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Java 8 in Action this week in the Java 8 forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "This is what you call guts!!" Watch "This is what you call guts!!" New topic
Author

This is what you call guts!!

Paul Yule
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by marc weber:

Just to clarify: She is the one wearing the pirate costume. I am a lowly cabin boy at Her service.

I'm sorry for any confusion this might have caused.

I'm glad you clarified... the mental image I had previously was not pretty.
Paul Clapham
Bartender

That's a good point. We need to offer them some sort of pie, but nothing too decadent. Maybe raspberry pie (with a not-so-flakey crust)?
Nah. A cream pie. In the face.
marc weber
Sheriff

Originally posted by Paul Clapham:

There was television game show in the 70's that was big on that. I think instead of real pies, they just used pie tins filled with whipped cream. And I remember the host insisting they didn't "throw" pies on the show -- they just "pushed" pies (into people's faces).

What was that show?

"We're kind of on the level of crossword puzzle writers... And no one ever goes to them and gives them an award." ~Joe Strummer
sscce.org
Paul Clapham
Bartender

There was television game show in the 70's that was big on that. I think instead of real pies, they just used pie tins filled with whipped cream.
I don't remember the show, but I associate the pie-tossing with Soupy Sales.

So are you suggesting we should get those pirates on a television game show and throw pies in their face? Seems to me there's a few obstacles to getting that to happen. I mean, would they need work permits? Would there be a quota for those permits?
marc weber
Sheriff

If there's one thing a pirate can't resist, it's appearing on cable television to compete in exciting games of chance and skill. Now, because there's a (huge) chance of having pseudo pies "pushed" into their faces, they will need to sign a complicated release. And because there's a (minuscule) chance of winning chests of doubloons, they will also need to provide their taxpayer identification information. It's kind of a sting operation.
Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Frank Silbermann:
OK. Let's say you've been assigned to work out a diplomatic solution with this group of pirates. What sort of agreement do you think you might be able to work out that will be attractive enough that the pirates will accept it, but not attractive enough that others will take up piracy in the hope of obtaining a similar offer?

The root of every piracy is money � nobody does it for fame. Sociologic says that economic condition of any area has direct link with crime rate of the area. If people of Somalia have ample opportunities to earn in a legal way then over the period of time we will see reduction in piracy..

I cannot think of one myself. So I am guessing that the next response will be the organization of ships into convoys. It will slow shipping down, waiting for fifty ships to gather and ship off together in the company of one or two military protectors, but at least military protection might be feasible this way.

This is a good business plan.
[ November 21, 2008: Message edited by: Chetan Parekh ]

My blood is tested +ve for Java.
Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Paul Clapham:

in the face of seamen?

I want to be like marc
Rambo Prasad
Ranch Hand

Becoming a somali pirate looks like a lucrative career option.
Check out this
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News_By_Industry/Somali_pirates_live_high_life_when_not_on_high_seas/articleshow/3739555.cms

Helping hands are much better than the praying lips
marc weber
Sheriff

Originally posted by Chetan Parekh:
... The root of every piracy is money � nobody does it for fame...

I did it for fame. (And a bottle of rum, which I never drank.)
Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand

I think the U.N. will be able to resolve and put an end to this issue soon.
http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/international-9/122723006491780.xml&storylist=topstories

They just approved the imposing of sanctions on the pirates. I expect them to now have a lengthy discussion on this issue and in principal agree to implement these sanctions. Violence has never solved anything and diplomatic processes though sometimes seem slow are the way to deal with the greater issues of which piracy is merely a manifestation.

I also believe that we have all overlooked the ecological consequences of using firepower, What if military actions results in thousands of tonnes of crude to be dumped into the ocean. What about all the fish? If you have ever raised fish in an aquarium, you know that they are living beings no lesser than dogs or cats, can get sick and contract disease and have capacity to feel pain. They are sensitive creatures, If you've ever come home from school and seen your goldfish struggling to dislodge a gravel that got caught in its mouth while siphoning food from the floor bed, and tried to rescue it but ended up damaging it some more perhaps you'd know how that would feel.
[ November 21, 2008: Message edited by: Arvind Mahendra ]
Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand

You are an exception
Frank Silbermann
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Chetan Parekh:

The root of every piracy is money � nobody does it for fame. Sociologic says that economic condition of any area has direct link with crime rate of the area. If people of Somalia have ample opportunities to earn in a legal way then over the period of time we will see reduction in piracy..
A reduction is nice, but we have a right not to suffer _any_ piracy.

This weekend I saw a magazine article (don't remember where) saying that the pirates were originally fishermen, and that when the government of Somalia folded there was no one to defend their territorial waters from foreign fishermen and trash dumpers. The pirates began by going after foreign fishermen, and then realized they had a good thing going.

The author recommended that the international community should work together to protect the Somalia territorial waters. (Of course, this
means taking over some Somali government functions, such as registering local fishermen who would enjoy their rightful fishing monopoly.)

We cannot in general offer the Somalis _ample_ opportunities to earn in a legal way -- no moreso than we can offer this to the people of any other poor country -- but the restoration of their legitimate fishing rights would be something we ought to offer them. That would be the carrot.

The stick would be the firm committment to exterminate those who persist in piracy.
marc weber
Sheriff

... The stick would be the firm committment to exterminate those who persist in piracy.

Joe Ess
Bartender

Originally posted by Arvind Mahendra:
Violence has never solved anything. . .

Say that again and I'll punch ya!

"blabbing like a narcissistic fool with a superiority complex" ~ N.A.
[How To Ask Questions On JavaRanch]
marc weber
Sheriff

I remain an advocate of piracy.

[ November 24, 2008: Message edited by: marc weber ]
Frank Silbermann
Ranch Hand

I ... believe that we have all overlooked the ecological consequences of using firepower, What if military actions results in thousands of tonnes of crude to be dumped into the ocean. What about all the fish? If you have ever raised fish in an aquarium, you know that they are living beings no lesser than dogs or cats, can get sick and contract disease and have capacity to feel pain. They are sensitive creatures, If you've ever come home from school and seen your goldfish struggling to dislodge a gravel that got caught in its mouth while siphoning food from the floor bed, and tried to rescue it but ended up damaging it some more perhaps you'd know how that would feel.
You can avoid that by killing the pirates _before_ they've gotten control of a ship. After all, we're not discussing solutions to _this_ specific piracy action, but rather, solutions to the general activity of piracy.

Violence has never solved anything
That's what I keep trying to tell people when they claim that the slavery issue was settled by the Civil War.
Paul Sturrock
Bartender

If you don't want your rum, can I have it?

JavaRanch FAQ HowToAskQuestionsOnJavaRanch
Joe Ess
Bartender

Originally posted by Joanne Neal:
India praised for sinking pirates.

Yea, about that. . . Sunken 'pirate ship' was actually Thai trawler
Sri Anand
Ranch Hand

what are requirements to become a pirate
Bridget Kennedy
Ranch Hand

New development.

How interesting it will be if a single person halfway around the world provides the catalyst for change.
marc weber
Sheriff

Originally posted by Paul Sturrock:
... If you don't want your rum, can I have it?

I plan to exchange it for some "yo, ho, ho." But if that doesn't work out...
Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Joe Ess:

If it means the lives of hundreds in not thousands of fish will be spared as a result I'm all for it.
Sri Anand
Ranch Hand

Indian Navy did answer this , the recent news posted says Indian Navy opened fire after it had warned the ship top stop for which respose was you will Blown Off and there were series of explosions from ammunations on the ship.

permaculture playing cards

subject: This is what you call guts!!