aspose file tools*
The moose likes Beginning Java and the fly likes Informal poll: What are the most popular 1st languages? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Beginning Java
Bookmark "Informal poll: What are the most popular 1st languages?" Watch "Informal poll: What are the most popular 1st languages?" New topic
Author

Informal poll: What are the most popular 1st languages?

Pat Farrell
Rancher

Fortran in 1969. Don't remember which flavor, probably Fortran IV

ALC (IBM Mainframe assembler) Algol, Snobol, and a few others followed in rapid succession.

Various attempts to make Fortran be structured, Ratfor, Flecs, etc were popular in the mid 70s.

My favorite in the first decades was DEC-20 assembler/Macro, followed closely by Bliss.

I've long lost track, I expect Java was about number 30.

At least the OP didn't bother with that old chestnut of "which is the best language" to which the only answer is French.
Suman Poluri
Greenhorn

Logo (Aaahhh...good ol' days)
Basic
C
C++
Cobol
Java (Thanks to Headfirst )
salvin francis
Ranch Hand

Pat Farrell wrote:... to which the only answer is French.

My Website: [Salvin.in] Cool your mind:[Salvin.in/painting] My Sally:[Salvin.in/sally]
W. Joe Smith
Ranch Hand

My first language was Visual BASIC, which I learned in high school. From there, I went to college and did work in VB.NET, ColdFusion, VBA and PHP. Now I'm learning Java and PL/SQL.

SCJA
When I die, I want people to look at me and say "Yeah, he might have been crazy, but that was one zarkin frood that knew where his towel was."
John de Michele
Rancher

My first languages were Applesoft BASIC and Logo. My first professional language was Perl.

John.

Ben Power
Ranch Hand

My first encounter with 'telling a computer what to do' was hand-coded HTML. But since that's not generally considered PROGRAMMING per se, I'd have to say my first programming I took was on JavaScript. Since I knew HTML, JavaScript was helpful, but mostly as it pertains to web development.

But my first real programming experience encounter with computer science came through Python. I had grasped functions (and some basic object concepts, as in properties and methods) via JavaScript, but Python really got me into the game.

SCJP 6
Misha van Tol
Ranch Hand

The first 'program' I made was in BASIC with a pencil binary marking boxes on a card which could be run in the SARA computer in Amsterdam. But that's way back (when a computer was as big as a living room). Later on I learned (in order of appearance): MSX Basic, Z80 assembly, Turbo Pascal, C, C++, PHP and now I'm looking into Java.
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

BASIC (Commodore Pet, then later C64), 6502 Assembly, Fortran 77, Turbo Pascal, 8088/8087 Assembly (and its variants up to the 386), C, Prolog.... blah, blah, blah.... at this point, it gets blurry.

Henry

Books: Java Threads, 3rd Edition, Jini in a Nutshell, and Java Gems (contributor)

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.

subject: Informal poll: What are the most popular 1st languages?