wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Slumdog Millionaire Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Slumdog Millionaire" Watch "Slumdog Millionaire" New topic
Author

Slumdog Millionaire

Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

Frank Silbermann wrote:Likewise, I wonder how many of singing idol Englebert Humperdink's panty-throwing fans actually know about the opera made from "Hansel and Gretel".

Panty throwing???!!!???!!!
I mean panty as in panty???!!!???
Is this some form of adoration or resentment?
Where do the panties come from? From a box or are they previously worn by the thrower?
(I was tempted to pun on box there, but never mind. I meant the packing kind of box you perverts

Man, it takes all kinds of nuts to make this world. And I use to think I was crazy!
R K Singh
Ranch Hand

Steven Satelle wrote:I don't care about Oscar's or bafta's or any awards.

But you would have not watched it if it was not nominated for Oscar.

I will call SM a British movie(which it is.) Because if it would have been Bollywood movie then it would have flopped like anything(It is flop in India). And Steve would have not been watching it ;)

I still feel Black and TZM are much better cinema than SM..
PS: I am fine if Black was inspired by some novel.

"Thanks to Indian media who has over the period of time swiped out intellectual taste from mass Indian population." - Chetan Parekh
Mike Simmons
Ranch Hand

R K Singh wrote:But you would have not watched it if it was not nominated for Oscar.

How do you know that? Of course I can't speak for Steven, any more than you can. But I know that I saw Slumdog before any Oscar or Golden Globe nominations, so it's certainly possible. Perhaps you meant to say that many more people would not have watched it without the nominations, which is probably true. But I think you're better off not attempting to make statements about what other specific people would do, or what they did, unless you have better information.
Devesh H Rao
Ranch Hand

Mike Simmons wrote:
R K Singh wrote:But you would have not watched it if it was not nominated for Oscar.

How do you know that? Of course I can't speak for Steven, any more than you can. But I know that I saw Slumdog before any Oscar or Golden Globe nominations, so it's certainly possible.

RK probably meant (i am assuming this based on what i have read of his posts in MD for the last 5-6 years)

But would you have (not) watched it, if it was not nominated for Oscar?

Double negation is usually an issue when a sentence is formed in a local language and converted into English.

Mike Simmons wrote: But I think you're better off not attempting to make statements about what other specific people would do, or what they did, unless you have better information.

Is this applicable recursively ?
Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand

R K Singh wrote:
I will call SM a British movie(which it is.) Because if it would have been Bollywood movie then it would have flopped like anything(It is flop in India).

Thanks to Indian media (Newspaper/Radio/TV/Movies/Magazine) who has over the period of time swiped out intellectual taste from mass Indian population.

R K Singh wrote:

I agree.

My blood is tested +ve for Java.
Steven Satelle
Greenhorn

R K Singh wrote:
Steven Satelle wrote:I don't care about Oscar's or bafta's or any awards.

But you would have not watched it if it was not nominated for Oscar.

I saw it before it won any awards. I first heard about it from a review on talk radio.

But I will concede that the awards work as a kind of advertisement, I hear of films which I may not have heard of otherwise. Contrariwise I hear of (and watch) films I wish I never had!
Mike Simmons
Ranch Hand

Devesh H Rao wrote:
Mike Simmons wrote: But I think you're better off not attempting to make statements about what other specific people would do, or what they did, unless you have better information.

Is this applicable recursively ?

I should have said definite statements, since that's what I had a problem with here. With that correction, feel free to apply it wherever you like.

If it wasn't actually intended to have been a definite statement ("you would have" vs. "would you have?"), I have no problem with the post. But that's not how it came out. RKS, would you like to clarify?
Sameer Jamal
Ranch Hand

Every dog has it's day, this time it was slumdog won 8 oscars
Mandar Khire
Ranch Hand

All Mumbaikar feel proud to get first time Oscar Award to the film which shown their worst side to whole world. Every Mumbaikar watch/feel/hear most of the part of the film live everyday. But then also we proud our selves because due to our city Mumbai, India get first time Oscar!
Now Indian politician should do something to that worst side become good side in future!

Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton asked why.
Sagar Rohankar
Ranch Hand

We won Oscar ..

because, answer is

D. It is written.

[LEARNING bLOG] | [Freelance Web Designer] | [and "Rohan" is part of my surname]
ankur rathi
Ranch Hand

Rahman wins Oscar. Congrats.
He has been creating good music always. He just didn't win it before because foreign films are not nominated in this category.

Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand

It was great. I havent seen India but I wouldnt be surprised if any such country exists as my country is like that.

Great sounds! (I mean the sound experts in the movie making of this movie).
Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand

Sagar Rohankar wrote:We won Oscar ..

What do you mean by this?
Sagar Rohankar
Ranch Hand

Chetan Parekh wrote:
Sagar Rohankar wrote:We won Oscar ..

What do you mean by this?

I mean, Indian won the Oscar, And being the Proud Indian, I said "WE" won the Oscar !!!
Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand

Jamal for President!!!
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

I said "WE" won the Oscar !!!

Please read the extensive previous discussion about this aspect of the movie, and the dubious value of this statement.

Ping & DNS - my free Android networking tools app
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Congratulations and best wishes to the team for winning the Oscars in different categories.

SCJP 1.4, SCWCD 1.4 - Hints for you, Certified Scrum Master
Did a rm -R / to find out that I lost my entire Linux installation!
Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand

Ulf Dittmer wrote:

Please read the extensive previous discussion about this aspect of the movie, and the dubious value of this statement.

Very true UD. I was trying to say the same.
Mandar Khire
Ranch Hand

hey everybody i change the lyrics of "Jai Ho" as i thought(but this in Hindi!)

[edit - unfortunately, javaranch policy REQUIRES all posts to be in English, or provide a translation. Even with a translation, the post is subject to deletion.]
Sagar Rohankar
Ranch Hand

Ulf Dittmer wrote:

Oops ! Just a little bit excited...
As my favorite Music Director AR Rahman won the award with Most respectable lyricist Gulzar for the best Song.(Jai Ho)
Sagar Rohankar
Ranch Hand

Mandar Khire wrote:hey everybody i change the lyrics of "Jai Ho" as i thought(but this in Hindi!)
[edit - see original post for reason]

Ok Good..
But you have to translate it in english !!
R K Singh
Ranch Hand

Sagar Rohankar wrote:

Translating Gulzar ji's poem in English .... is tough task ;-)
Sagar Rohankar
Ranch Hand

R K Singh wrote:
Sagar Rohankar wrote:

Translating Gulzar ji's poem in English .... is tough task ;-)

We have to ask to the one who posted it originally. May be he can substitute proper English word, loosing all the mood, melody and meaning of song
Mandar Khire
Ranch Hand

We have to ask to the one who posted it originally. May be he can substitute proper English word, loosing all the mood, melody and meaning of song

I am very sorry if any one get hurt their feeling!
Its very difficult to translate what i written.
I write because i read many news regarding youth get bad things very easily in Mumbai city. & when i read lyrics of that song, those word which i thought fit in that lyrics & i try to keep easy word. So i can song those lines as same as original song.
Sagar Rohankar
Ranch Hand

Mandar Khire wrote:

I am very sorry if any one get hurt their feeling!

Ohh, Don't feel sorry for that !!!

Mandar Khire wrote:
Its very difficult to translate what i written.

Not actually, but you will messed up with rhyme !

Mandar Khire wrote:
I write because i read many news regarding youth get bad things very easily in Mumbai city. & when i read lyrics of that song, those word which i thought fit in that lyrics & i try to keep easy word. So i can song those lines as same as original song.

And I will say, a good try, (Just hope, Gulzarji don't see this thread, else they quit writing )
Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand

Mandar Khire wrote:I write because i read many news regarding youth get bad things very easily in Mumbai city.

Don't be carried away by sub-standards newspapers. Bad things are available to youth everywhere regardless the city. It's all depends upon what choices one makes in his life.

R K Singh
Ranch Hand

Chetan Parekh wrote:Bad things are available to youth everywhere regardless the city.

You are right in one sense but in another it depends also on city.

If one wants to go to nude bar, and if you consider it to be bad, then chances are high if he is in Las Vegas.

If one wants to go to Dance bar (Bombay ishtyle) and if you consider it to be bad, then chances are that person living in Allahabad will not be able to go to dance bar as it is not available in that city.

I think it is about how easily bad things are available to you compare to other places.

[MG]Removed political comment.
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Personally, I am trying to figure out how this movie won both best score and best song...

Actually, more to the point, I am trying to remember where the heck in the movie, was there any music... period...

Henry

Books: Java Threads, 3rd Edition, Jini in a Nutshell, and Java Gems (contributor)
Sagar Rohankar
Ranch Hand

Henry Wong wrote:

Actually, more to the point, I am trying to remember where the heck in the movie, was there any music... period...

Ok, Have you seen last scene, a dance sequence at Mumbai Railway Platform, the song is "Jai Ho" (Best Song award) and of course it contains music
Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand

Sagar has pointed correctly for Music(Song) category.
Henry wrote:Actually, more to the point, I am trying to remember where the heck in the movie, was there any music... period...

Only dialogue delivery is not enough for any movie. Music (score) is an essential part of that.Obviously you know that.
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Sagar Rohankar wrote:
Ok, Have you seen last scene, a dance sequence at Mumbai Railway Platform, the song is "Jai Ho" (Best Song award) and of course it contains music

If this was the song, then its pretty pathetic (the award -- not the song that is). This is the Oscars -- not the Grammys. Should not the best song be more integrated than played during the closing credits?

Not only don't I remember the song being played at any other time, but when it was played during the closing credits, it felt completely out of place.

Henry
Mandar Khire
Ranch Hand

[edit - unfortunately, javaranch policy REQUIRES all posts to be in English, or provide a translation. Even with a translation, the post is subject to deletion.]
This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Today 7:49:38 PM by fred rosenberger

Our coderanch should be not accept the message body if it not written in proper English! As it not accept last letter from you for you.
now my deleted message body was read by many people before delete!
Even message after delete, should be from coderanch not from javaranch! As This tells us about change.
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender

What can I say... I'm old, and resistant to change. It will probably take me another 10 years before I stop referring to this site as the 'javaranch'.

There are only two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors
Glen Cai
Ranch Hand

You may want to see this news: 'Slumdog Millionaire' protests in India don't subside

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News-By-Industry/Slumdog-Millionaire-protests-in-India-dont-subside/articleshow/4175471.cms

"I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe." - Richard Feynman
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

R K Singh wrote:

Careful there.
This is a nice thread about a movie. Let's keep it at that.
As you doubtlessly know, political comments in threads are not at all encouraged.
Sagar Rohankar
Ranch Hand

Henry Wong wrote:
Sagar Rohankar wrote:

Should not the best song be more integrated than played during the closing credits?

Not only don't I remember the song being played at any other time, but when it was played during the closing credits, it felt completely out of place.

Now, that's your opinion! But Academy and Juries thoughts like, "Ok, this a good Movie and has a beautiful song" (no matter whether it's played at the start of film title or at the end, during closing credits)
Jules Bach
Ranch Hand

Glen Cai wrote:
You may want to see this news: 'Slumdog Millionaire' protests in India don't subside

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News-By-Industry/Slumdog-Millionaire-protests-in-India-dont-subside/articleshow/4175471.cms

Given all the trivial problems in the world - climate change, peak oil, ecological terrorism, war, famine..etc etc...it's good to know we can still find the time and spirit to protest about the things that *really* matter.

I liked the movie.

Mansi Mishra
Ranch Hand

I think was a good movie...but it just got unnecessarily hyped...
If at all the foreigners found the concept of Indian slums very interesting, there have been better movies on Indian slums in the past...
Also I agree to the fact tht TZP or Black or for that matter even Dharm was a far better movie than SM

Mansi

http://splashpress.blogspot.com
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

mansi speaking wrote:

Mansi,
Please check your private messages for an important administrative matter.
RaviNada Kiran
Ranch Hand

The Indian parliment has praised slumdog .

It would have been more good if they took any decisions to improve the life style of slum people in India , rather than praising and simply enjoying the movie in their AC rooms .

Even i am an Indian and ashamed of those.

If you want something you never had do something which you had never done

wood burning stoves

subject: Slumdog Millionaire