wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes 100 things I learned from US Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "100 things I learned from US" Watch "100 things I learned from US" New topic
Author

100 things I learned from US

fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender

Paul Clapham wrote:the constitution requires the president to have been born in the USA.
I don't think that is QUITE true...I believe it states they must be natural citizens (otherwise, how would the first few from Washington through Jackson been eligible?).

Note that there is a distinction between 'natural' and 'naturalized'. Arnold Schwarzenegger could never be U.S. president, because he was naturalized in 1983. However, my daughter, who was adopted from China when she was 2, IS considered a natural citizen due to how the adoption laws work.

There are only two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors
W. Joe Smith
Ranch Hand

Only native-born U.S. citizens (or those born abroad, but only to parents who were both citizens of the U.S.) may be president of the United States, though from time to time that requirement is called into question, most recently after Arnold Schwarzenegger, born in Austria, was elected governor of California, in 2003. The Constitution originally provided a small loophole to this provision: One needn't have been born in the United States but had to be a citizen at the time the Constitution was adopted. But, since that occurred in 1789, that ship has sailed.

Basically, you have to have been born in the United States, or been born abroad to US citizens. Also the person needs to be at least 35 years old and have lived in the US for 14 years (although it isn't clear whether this has to be consecutive or not).

*NOTE: Information obtained from usgovinfo.about.com.

SCJA
When I die, I want people to look at me and say "Yeah, he might have been crazy, but that was one zarkin frood that knew where his towel was."
A Bhattacharya
Ranch Hand

Vishal Pandya wrote:Yesterday I went to buy a used bike. In US, generally, bike means bicycle. The guy was an american. And I am not. When he saw me, he didn't get surprised ( natural surprise as I am not an american). And that's why I got surprised. In india people would definitely get surprised. I find this point worth mentioning because, I feel that US has pure cosmopolitan culture. Here, Spanish, Mexican,Chinese and Indians are in majority. So I wouldn't be surprised if in future US get president from one this roots. US is land of opportunities...

What the so biig deal about "suprise"??! In Bangalore you find Chinese girls buying chicken at the shop and the chicken guy don't raise an eyebrow.
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

A Bhattacharya wrote:
What the so biig deal about "suprise"??! In Bangalore you find Chinese girls buying chicken at the shop and the chicken guy don't raise an eyebrow.

Neither does the chicken.

[How to ask questions] [Donate a pint, save a life!] [Onff-turn it on!]
Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand

A Bhattacharya wrote:What the so biig deal about "suprise"??! In Bangalore you find Chinese girls buying chicken at the shop and the chicken guy don't raise an eyebrow.

You are talking about Banglore(an IT hub of India). Would it be the same case anywhere other than banglore? Where I live and the place where I went to buy the bike is a small borough.

(PS: Tomorrow,Jul 4th, is Independence Day of USA.)
Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand

What do you do when you stop by the red light at traffic signal? You may find,

- People having their coffee/snacks. That's fine.
- People talking on their phone. That's also fine.
- Girls(female, in general) doing make up . Very often I see that.
Dipanjan Kailthya
Greenhorn

- Girls(female, in general) doing make up . Very often I see that.

Would you rather see boys/men dolling themselves up, instead? :P

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: 100 things I learned from US