• Bookmark Topic Watch Topic

JAVAC not found ??? I cant compile - help

Ryan Shaw
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Report post to moderator
well that helps? WHATS IT SUPPOSED TO MEAN??? i hate riddles...

Ryan Shaw
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Garrett Rowe wrote:That snippet is not a complete working program.

well thats helpful?? what am i supposed to do with the instructions in the book? its supposed to be a working program?

Ryan Shaw
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i think i understand! - this may well be a demo program that isnt supposed to work... lol thanks for all your help so far guys, big help

i will post when i encounter another problem (im sure i will)

David Newton
Author
Rancher
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
the book cant possibly be wrong!

I take it you've never read a programming book before.

Ryan Shaw
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i read half a c++ book and i gave up... it was never wrong

Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff
Pie
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Which half did you read?

Ryan Shaw
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1st half lol.... it was dry and boring so i gave up this new book is quite good.... only 650pages to go

Sudarshan Kadam
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I salute to the patient people out there. This thread is enough to convince me of the friendliness of this community. No offence meant, just a compliment. Cheers.

Ryan Shaw
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sudarshan Kadam wrote:I salute to the patient people out there. This thread is enough to convince me of the friendliness of this community. No offence meant, just a compliment. Cheers.

no problem, i was just severely pissed off as every time i try to learn programming properly i always have a massive error due to some corrupt file

thanks!

Sudarshan Kadam
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ryan, Make sure that next time you get a For Dummies book ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Dummies ). Best option to start learning something without a teacher. ;)

Edit:
Just get Java for Dummies ..

Rob Spoor
Sheriff
Pie
Chrome Eclipse IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would recommend Head First Java instead. It's highly praised, and does not sound as degrading as "for dummies". I don't know what the publisher was thinking, but if somebody gave me such a book I'd hit him/her in the head with it.

David Newton
Author
Rancher
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
They were thinking "Wow, people really respond well to a little self-deprecating humor, because we've sold tens of millions of these things."

Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff
Pie
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ryan Shaw wrote: only 650pages to go
It's a small book, then?

I would agree with the people who prefer "Head First" over "Dummies". Although Burd, who writes the Dummies books, does a very good job indeed of explaining things like control structures, "Head First" has the great advantage that it introduces something much more difficult to understand: object orientation. There is obvious object-orientation from the very beginning in "Head First," much more so than in the "Dummies" book I have seen.

Sudarshan Kadam
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am using Head First Servlets and JSP now..... I suggested Dummies book because sometimes it helps a *too much* beginner and its not that useless for people facing a programming language first time in their life ;)

Raghavan Muthu
Ranch Hand
Mac MySQL Database Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sudarshan Kadam wrote:I am using Head First Servlets and JSP now..... I suggested Dummies book because sometimes it helps a *too much* beginner and its not that useless for people facing a programming language first time in their life ;)

Well, not to deny! I too like Dummies Series. But no matter what, "HF" series has almost always been the "cup of tea", 'book of choice" of any level of programmers. People may say a different opinion if they have never glanced the HF series once!

james dunster
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I find the patience of the responders in this place almost as astounding as the sheer arrogance and truculence of some of the posters. A bit of humility and a lot more effort would go a long way.

Sergio Campos J.
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I find the patience of the responders in this place almost as astounding as the sheer arrogance and truculence of some of the posters. A bit of humility and a lot more effort would go a long way.

All of those called to give should do it without reservation. It makes it a better world to live in.
Cheers and more cheers to those people!

• Bookmark Topic Watch Topic