This week's giveaway is in the Android forum.
We're giving away four copies of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons and have Godfrey Nolan on-line!
See this thread for details.
The moose likes Beginning Java and the fly likes JAVAC not found ??? I cant compile - help Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Beginning Java
Bookmark "JAVAC not found ??? I cant compile - help" Watch "JAVAC not found ??? I cant compile - help" New topic
Author

JAVAC not found ??? I cant compile - help

Ryan Shaw
Greenhorn

well that helps? WHATS IT SUPPOSED TO MEAN??? i hate riddles...
Ryan Shaw
Greenhorn

Garrett Rowe wrote:That snippet is not a complete working program.

well thats helpful?? what am i supposed to do with the instructions in the book? its supposed to be a working program?
Ryan Shaw
Greenhorn

i think i understand! - this may well be a demo program that isnt supposed to work... lol thanks for all your help so far guys, big help

i will post when i encounter another problem (im sure i will)
David Newton
Author
Rancher

the book cant possibly be wrong!

I take it you've never read a programming book before.
Ryan Shaw
Greenhorn

i read half a c++ book and i gave up... it was never wrong
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Which half did you read?
Ryan Shaw
Greenhorn

1st half lol.... it was dry and boring so i gave up this new book is quite good.... only 650pages to go
Sudarshan Kadam
Greenhorn

I salute to the patient people out there. This thread is enough to convince me of the friendliness of this community. No offence meant, just a compliment. Cheers.

I have not done this SCJA 1.0, SCJP 1.4, SCWCD 1.4, SCBCD 1.3, SCJP 5.0, SCEA 5, SCBCD 5
OCUP Fundamental, OCUP Intermediate, OCUP Advanced
Ryan Shaw
Greenhorn

Sudarshan Kadam wrote:I salute to the patient people out there. This thread is enough to convince me of the friendliness of this community. No offence meant, just a compliment. Cheers.

no problem, i was just severely pissed off as every time i try to learn programming properly i always have a massive error due to some corrupt file

thanks!
Sudarshan Kadam
Greenhorn

Ryan, Make sure that next time you get a For Dummies book ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Dummies ). Best option to start learning something without a teacher. ;)

Edit:
Just get Java for Dummies ..
Rob Spoor
Sheriff

I would recommend Head First Java instead. It's highly praised, and does not sound as degrading as "for dummies". I don't know what the publisher was thinking, but if somebody gave me such a book I'd hit him/her in the head with it.

SCJP 1.4 - SCJP 6 - SCWCD 5 - OCEEJBD 6
How To Ask Questions How To Answer Questions
David Newton
Author
Rancher

They were thinking "Wow, people really respond well to a little self-deprecating humor, because we've sold tens of millions of these things."
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Ryan Shaw wrote: only 650pages to go
It's a small book, then?

I would agree with the people who prefer "Head First" over "Dummies". Although Burd, who writes the Dummies books, does a very good job indeed of explaining things like control structures, "Head First" has the great advantage that it introduces something much more difficult to understand: object orientation. There is obvious object-orientation from the very beginning in "Head First," much more so than in the "Dummies" book I have seen.
Sudarshan Kadam
Greenhorn

I am using Head First Servlets and JSP now..... I suggested Dummies book because sometimes it helps a *too much* beginner and its not that useless for people facing a programming language first time in their life ;)
Raghavan Muthu
Ranch Hand

Sudarshan Kadam wrote:I am using Head First Servlets and JSP now..... I suggested Dummies book because sometimes it helps a *too much* beginner and its not that useless for people facing a programming language first time in their life ;)

Well, not to deny! I too like Dummies Series. But no matter what, "HF" series has almost always been the "cup of tea", 'book of choice" of any level of programmers. People may say a different opinion if they have never glanced the HF series once!

Everything has got its own deadline including one's EGO!
[CodeBarn] [Java Concepts-easily] [Corey's articles] [SCJP-SUN] [Servlet Examples] [Java Beginners FAQ] [Sun-Java Tutorials] [Java Coding Guidelines]
james dunster
Greenhorn

I find the patience of the responders in this place almost as astounding as the sheer arrogance and truculence of some of the posters. A bit of humility and a lot more effort would go a long way.
Sergio Campos J.
Ranch Hand

I find the patience of the responders in this place almost as astounding as the sheer arrogance and truculence of some of the posters. A bit of humility and a lot more effort would go a long way.

All of those called to give should do it without reservation. It makes it a better world to live in.
Cheers and more cheers to those people!

"There are times when the easy things should be quick and easy" [...] "and worry about the theory later" -Fred Hamilton-

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: JAVAC not found ??? I cant compile - help