wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes How many languages do you speak ... Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "How many languages do you speak ..." Watch "How many languages do you speak ..." New topic
Author

How many languages do you speak ...

John Smith
Ranch Hand

Ah, the library, of course! Thanks Jim.
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by John Smith:
Even more interesting, how come German is not in the list? I mean, this guy lives and studies in Bonn, Germany, right? Something doesn't add up here.

Because it's not worth mentioning? Because he speaks his mothertounge anyway?

Your humor is like your display name: sub zero
[ November 12, 2007: Message edited by: Chris Baron ]
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Jim Yingst:
[QB]I think you've mixed up two different examples. Raja (with various spellings) and shah come from the same root. But Tsar, Czar, and Kaiser all come from Caesar, which was a family name long before Augustus became emperor. There are various theories as to where the name came from, but there's no reason to think it had anything to do with the raja/shah root.
QB]

Hi Jim,
you are right: my post wasn't academically backed. But it's so obvious, that the only explanation is, that is hasn't been proven yet
Ray Shi
Greenhorn

I can say 2 Languages
Chinese and English
Aryan Khan
Ranch Hand

Let's see....
Farsi, Pashto, Urdu, Punjabi, English, Arabic.

--Aryan

OCP/MCP/SCJP/SCWCD/IBM XML/SCMAD/SCEA-1
Darya Akbari
Ranch Hand

Aryan,

half of the languages that this German student speak are related to Afghanistan. Have you heard of these languages? I wonder whether they are spoken at all

SCJP, SCJD, SCWCD, SCBCD
Frank Silbermann
Ranch Hand

Fifty to seventy-five years ago there was a stereotype about Brits that the only foreign languages any of them could speak were those of exotic colonies where they had been posted. The joke was that the Englishman was touring in Portugal and tried to buy something from a fisherman, but they could not communicate. Then the Englishman tried making some clicking sounds, and when that didn't work he remarked to his wife:

"Well, I guess he speaks neither English nor Swahili."

[ November 21, 2007: Message edited by: Frank Silbermann ]

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: How many languages do you speak ...