This week's book giveaway is in the OCPJP forum.
We're giving away four copies of OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide and have Kathy Sierra & Bert Bates on-line!
See this thread for details.
The moose likes Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP) and the fly likes New Sun Java Programmer Plus Certification Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide this week in the OCPJP forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Bookmark "New Sun Java Programmer Plus Certification" Watch "New Sun Java Programmer Plus Certification" New topic
Author

New Sun Java Programmer Plus Certification

Aniruddh Surange
Greenhorn

Thanks a lot Jason....................

Anirudh Surange
SCJP6
Quentin Ng
Greenhorn

The Sun Java Programmer Plus certification beta will launch on July 22, 2009. Selected participants will be able to take the beta exam for free in select cities around the world between July 22, 2009 and July 31, 2009.

Seems the exam period is very short just last for around 10 days.
What are those selected citites?
And what is the objectives for the exam?

Quentin
Lucas Smith
Ranch Hand

Are there any selected participants here, on the Java Ranch?

SCJP6, SCWCD5, OCE:EJBD6.
BLOG: http://leakfromjavaheap.blogspot.com
N.Senthil Kumar
Ranch Hand

Lukas Smith wrote:Are there any selected participants here, on the Java Ranch?

Participants will be notified by July 22, 2009.

N.Senthil Kumar
Nishant rty
Greenhorn

cchetan jain wrote:hi friends..after reading this thread.. i am a little bit confused now..i have not purchased the scjp voucher yet..and i am preparing for this exam from last 15 days..but after reading your posts i am confused that this is worthful exam or not??is there any mean of it or not??
please clear this confusion??

No reason to worry, your preparation will still pay you. Just go ahead . Your preparation at this moment will certainly help you clear the next version if it . So, three cheers dude
Nishant rty
Greenhorn

Jari Timonen wrote:Sun is going to retire SCJP. What do you think?

Programmer Plus

Sure it will test a much detailed knowledge. But the lines and the tracks will still remain the same.After all a fundamental is a fundamental.
Cameron Wallace McKenzie
author and cow tipper
Saloon Keeper

Lukas Smith wrote:Are there any selected participants here, on the Java Ranch?

I applied, but have yet to hear back.

-Cameron McKenzie
Lucas Smith
Ranch Hand

The same to me
Cameron Wallace McKenzie
author and cow tipper
Saloon Keeper

Unlike most Beta's, I get a feeling that Sun is going to be very selective in the candidates they choose. I don't think it's a matter of 'everyone that signs up before the end date' approach we have seen with other Sun Certification Beta Java exams.

-Cameron McKenzie
Lucas Smith
Ranch Hand

First of all - you have to live opposite to the city in which the exam will take place.
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal

I applied too. I don't get the impression they will get back to anyone until application for the beta closes. It does say on the web "Participants will be notified by July 22, 2009."

[Blog] [JavaRanch FAQ] [How To Ask Questions The Smart Way] [Book Promos]
Blogging on Certs: SCEA Part 1, Part 2 & 3, Core Spring 3, OCAJP, OCPJP beta, TOGAF part 1 and part 2
Deepak Bala
Bartender

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:I applied too. I don't get the impression they will get back to anyone until application for the beta closes. It does say on the web "Participants will be notified by July 22, 2009."

Yep. I was of the impression that they would notify us before that and the BETA would start on the 22nd. I think they notify us on the 22nd and the BETA starts a few days from then.

SCJP 6 articles - SCJP 5/6 mock exams - More SCJP Mocks
Nishant rty
Greenhorn

so for how long does scjp 1.6 will exist from now? any ideas?

Cameron Wallace McKenzie
author and cow tipper
Saloon Keeper

The information that has been given is extremely sparse. They may not like the way the beta goes and rethink the whole thing. Nobody knows!

-Cameron McKenzie
K. Tsang
Bartender

Nishant rty wrote:so for how long does scjp 1.6 will exist from now? any ideas?

Then it depends on when Java SE 7 and 8 comes out. When SCJP7 comes out, SCJP5 will retire; when SCJP8 comes out SCJP6 retires. And when does JavaSE 7 coming out? late 2009 or some time in 2010?

K. Tsang JavaRanch SCJP5 SCJD/OCM-JD OCPJP7 OCPWCD5 OCPBCD5
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

K. Tsang wrote:[Then it depends on when Java SE 7 and 8 comes out. When SCJP7 comes out, SCJP5 will retire; when SCJP8 comes out SCJP6 retires. And when does JavaSE 7 coming out? late 2009 or some time in 2010?

IMO, I think the SCJP for Java 1.4 was "retired" a bit too early -- there are still many Java 1.4 shops out there. I understand that progress is important, but reality should also dictate.

Henry

Books: Java Threads, 3rd Edition, Jini in a Nutshell, and Java Gems (contributor)
Cameron Wallace McKenzie
author and cow tipper
Saloon Keeper

Yeah, but I think that 'smart money' says that the SCJP 6 will get replaced with the SCJP 6 + certification, so the normal schedule will be interrupted. It's all conjecture though, but it sorta makes sense.

-Cameron McKenzie
Jason Irwin
Ranch Hand

Cameron Wallace McKenzie wrote:Yeah, but I think that 'smart money' says that the SCJP 6 will get replaced with the SCJP 6 + certification, so the normal schedule will be interrupted. It's all conjecture though, but it sorta makes sense.

I bloody well hope not - I am just about to sit SCJP6. If they suddenly yank it, I am going to be less than happy!

SCJP6
Deepak Bala
Bartender

Jason Irwin wrote:
Cameron Wallace McKenzie wrote:Yeah, but I think that 'smart money' says that the SCJP 6 will get replaced with the SCJP 6 + certification, so the normal schedule will be interrupted. It's all conjecture though, but it sorta makes sense.

I bloody well hope not - I am just about to sit SCJP6. If they suddenly yank it, I am going to be less than happy!

They will provide a 90 day period before yanking it and thats a few days from now I'd think. No worries
Nishant rty
Greenhorn

Ok, but since scjp 6 has came out , scjp 1.4 hasn't retired or has it?
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

SCJP 1.4 has been retired in October 2008.

Java Beginners FAQ - JavaRanch SCJP FAQ - The Java Tutorial - Java SE 8 API documentation
Nishant rty
Greenhorn

Jesper Young wrote:SCJP 1.4 has been retired in October 2008.

so,if a scjp certification is retired does it's importance get reduced? . Likewise in interviews?
Deepak Bala
Bartender

Nishant rty wrote:
Jesper Young wrote:SCJP 1.4 has been retired in October 2008.

so,if a scjp certification is retired does it's importance get reduced? . Likewise in interviews?

That is a whole new discussion all together. But to answer your question - It really depends on who is interviewing you. You can search this forum to find posts that discuss this topic
Deepak Bala
Bartender

[EDIT] Reposted by mistake. Now where did that delete post button go ? hmm...
Nishant rty
Greenhorn

How much preference is given to a guy with scjp certification ?
Also, as scjp certified guys are increasing at a good rate ,what will it lead to?
Nishant rty
Greenhorn

-Cameron McKenzie

By the way, who actually is 'smart money'?
Nishant rty
Greenhorn

Deepak Bala wrote:[EDIT] Reposted by mistake. Now where did that delete post button go ? hmm...

Where is that button?
Jason Irwin
Ranch Hand

Deepak Bala wrote:They will provide a 90 day period before yanking it and thats a few days from now I'd think. No worries

So when I sit this and pass, my shiny new cert will be valid for about 3 months? Great. That's why I'm not happy. I don't want to have to sit effectively the same cert twice (I plan to do more after the SCJP).
Nishant rty
Greenhorn

Jason Irwin wrote:

I will be doomed!
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Nishant rty wrote:
Deepak Bala wrote:[EDIT] Reposted by mistake. Now where did that delete post button go ? hmm...

Where is that button?

That button disappeared with the cut-over to JForum (January of this year).

Henry
Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Jason Irwin wrote:
Deepak Bala wrote:They will provide a 90 day period before yanking it and thats a few days from now I'd think. No worries

So when I sit this and pass, my shiny new cert will be valid for about 3 months? Great. That's why I'm not happy. I don't want to have to sit effectively the same cert twice (I plan to do more after the SCJP).

I don't get the issue here... A SCJP is a SCJP. Does it really matter which SCJP test you took? In fact, when I see that someone has an SCJP 1.4 on the resume (that was taken years ago of course), I regard it as a person who took an SCJP, and has years of experience too.

In this case, the difference is between two different SCJP 6's -- how is that an invalidation of a cert?

Henry

Deepak Bala
Bartender

In this case, the difference is between two different SCJP 6's -- how is that an invalidation of a cert?

Its not

That's why I'm not happy. I don't want to have to sit effectively the same cert twice (I plan to do more after the SCJP).

You dont have to. The SCJP has a validity for life.
Nishant rty
Greenhorn

henry wrote:I don't get the issue here... A SCJP is a SCJP. Does it really matter which SCJP test you took? In fact, when I see that someone has an SCJP 1.4 on the resume (that was taken years ago of course), I regard it as a person who took an SCJP, and has years of experience too.

The thing that matters is the score you get.A 100% ,awesome.
Lucas Smith
Ranch Hand

Are there any selected participants here, on the Java Ranch? Today is 22.
Jason Irwin
Ranch Hand

Happy pi approximation day, everyone.
N.Senthil Kumar
Ranch Hand

Not yet receive mail.....

It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.

subject: New Sun Java Programmer Plus Certification