wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Google's Operating System ----- Chrome Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of EJB 3 in Action this week in the EJB and other Java EE Technologies forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Google Watch "Google New topic
Author

Google's Operating System ----- Chrome

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff

polo rao wrote:I dont understand how Google can provide an OS for free , provided the huge investment it takes to build an OS and supporting it through Security patches and other stuff throughout its Life Cycle.
Will they make an Ad-supported OS like their search engine?

Imagine Opening an Word document and an Ad popping out along with it.
That would be so irritating

By the way , MS is moving into Surface Computing . By the time Chrome is released , Surface Computing will become the order of the day ,and i dont understand how Chrome can compete with it
I dont think it will be a competition to MS , at best it may end up fighting with Ubuntu and other Unix flavors

You are kidding about Microsoft, right? I mean the Surface Computing is just a touch screen, and last I remember Apple already has a Touch screen device as do many others. And to me you are comparing apples to oranges here. Who is to say that Google Chrome doesn't run on a "Surface" computer.

I think you have way too much faith in Microsoft, who has been trailing for years now. They just steal other people's ideas, so the other people are always going to be ahead.

Mark

Perfect World Programming, LLC - Two Laptop Bag - Tube Organizer
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way FAQ
polo rao
Greenhorn

They just steal other people's ideas, so the other people are always going to be ahead.

They are good at adapting to technologies not stealing. Although apple may be the first to come with a touchscreen device , technically .It is MS which took it to the larger scene and made an Touchscreen OS , Windows 7.
And i think they have beaten apple by doing this .Do you expect Chrome with to develop such an OS within their first release ?
For example Look at their Chrome Browser , languishing far behind firefox . I think it was a flop all the way.
Although MS is also losing market , they are into developing their new browser gazelle to replace IEStats

Some people get too much pleasure banging MS , i cannot understand why?

Joe Ess
Bartender

polo rao wrote: By the time Chrome is released , Surface Computing will become the order of the day

I don't think surface computing is going to replace keyboards, especially for those of us who type for a living. Not to mention that it isn't exactly rocket science (surface interface demos can be had on Linux and Apple platforms) so if it did become widespread, I'm sure Google can compete.

"blabbing like a narcissistic fool with a superiority complex" ~ N.A.
[How To Ask Questions On JavaRanch]
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

"Surface computing" will continue to be a niche market if not fizzle out completely. Who wants to sit at a big table to use a computer? Unless you're ordering lunch.

If you're merely talking about "touch screen" technology, it's already been pointed out that that's pretty ubiquitous at this point.

[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Steve Luke
Bartender

It won't be ad supported - just like the Chrome browser isn't. In the initial stages it will be 'beta' just like all their other products - probably for years. Once a market and app base is created (assuming it does) Google will package it for some niche in the enterprise and sell support for it there - just like it does GMail and Google Docs.

Free OSes aren't a new thing. Ubuntu is free after all, and there are several other free Linux-based OSes, all based on Open Source communities - just like ChromeOS. The difference is the size of the company involved. I also re-read the official release announcement, and although it will be open source the announcement does not say it will be free of cost - so there is a chance they could charge for it.

Steve
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff

polo rao wrote:
They just steal other people's ideas, so the other people are always going to be ahead.

For example Look at their Chrome Browser , languishing far behind firefox .

Some people get too much pleasure banging MS , i cannot understand why?

In the Chrome Browser thread I mentioned that it isn't just a browser. Chrome Browser is Chrome OS really. They released Chrome Browser as the basis of what is Chrome OS. The whole point of Chrome OS isn't to be an OS as you have known it, but a way to deliver the OS and applications via the web.

Mark
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

Polo,
Just for fun, try to google (or bing, since you are a MS fan), who invented the mouse. Also try to find out why the mouse evolved. That should answer your questions of MS being innovative and touch screen becoming popular in the dev. community.

[How to ask questions] [Donate a pint, save a life!] [Onff-turn it on!]

permaculture playing cards

subject: Google's Operating System ----- Chrome