File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Is Windows XP Obsolete? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Is Windows XP Obsolete?" Watch "Is Windows XP Obsolete?" New topic
Author

Is Windows XP Obsolete?

Tony Alicea
Desperado
Sheriff

"Goldeneye", yes. These are other movies where the Arecibo Observatory (still the largest <em>single dish</em> radio/radar telescope last time I looked) has been featured.

My favorite is <em>Contact</em> with Jodie Foster.
Tony Alicea
Desperado
Sheriff

Well, I opted for the poor man's Virtual Machine option: dual boot Vista 64-bit Ultimate with trusty old Win XP Pro 32-bit .

I am beginning to like Vista 64-bit Ultimate a lot. Because of my near state of the art hardware I got a reading of Vista Experience 5.9 which is the highest today. According to Microsoft:

"The base scores currently range from 1 to 5.9. The Windows Experience Index is designed to accommodate advances in computer technology. As hardware speed and performance improves, higher base scores will be introduced."

Of course there were issues of a couple of programs not working in a 64-bit OS. Those issues were surpassed by getting more modern versions of the programs that I used, and in one case replacing it with a different one that would run on Vista 64. I spent a few bucks but so what?

I have surpassed the two main hurdles that Vista 64-bit confronted me with: 1) Copying *all* DVDs, and encoding MP3s to archival quality from audio CDs in my extensive audio CD collection that I started in 1989.

Conclusion: All is good (NOW) in Vista 64-bit world for me.

I guess waiting for Vista SP1 (and getting a brand new custom made PC) was worth it...
Pat Farrell
Rancher

Originally posted by Tony Alicea:
I guess waiting for Vista SP1

Waiting for SP1 for any OS from M$ is a good idea.
marc weber
Sheriff

Originally posted by Tony Alicea:
... All is good (NOW) in Vista 64-bit world for me...

Excellent! Glad to hear that.

"We're kind of on the level of crossword puzzle writers... And no one ever goes to them and gives them an award." ~Joe Strummer
sscce.org

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Is Windows XP Obsolete?