Win a copy of Mesos in Action this week in the Cloud/Virtualizaton forum!
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic

Is Windows XP Obsolete?

Tony Alicea
Desperado
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Report post to moderator
"Goldeneye", yes. These are other movies where the Arecibo Observatory (still the largest <em>single dish</em> radio/radar telescope last time I looked) has been featured.

My favorite is <em>Contact</em> with Jodie Foster.

Tony Alicea
Desperado
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, I opted for the poor man's Virtual Machine option: dual boot Vista 64-bit Ultimate with trusty old Win XP Pro 32-bit .

I am beginning to like Vista 64-bit Ultimate a lot. Because of my near state of the art hardware I got a reading of Vista Experience 5.9 which is the highest today. According to Microsoft:

"The base scores currently range from 1 to 5.9. The Windows Experience Index is designed to accommodate advances in computer technology. As hardware speed and performance improves, higher base scores will be introduced."

Of course there were issues of a couple of programs not working in a 64-bit OS. Those issues were surpassed by getting more modern versions of the programs that I used, and in one case replacing it with a different one that would run on Vista 64. I spent a few bucks but so what?

I have surpassed the two main hurdles that Vista 64-bit confronted me with: 1) Copying *all* DVDs, and encoding MP3s to archival quality from audio CDs in my extensive audio CD collection that I started in 1989.

Conclusion: All is good (NOW) in Vista 64-bit world for me.

I guess waiting for Vista SP1 (and getting a brand new custom made PC) was worth it...

Pat Farrell
Rancher
Linux Mac OS X VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Originally posted by Tony Alicea:
I guess waiting for Vista SP1

Waiting for SP1 for any OS from M$ is a good idea.

marc weber
Sheriff
Java Mac Safari
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Originally posted by Tony Alicea:
... All is good (NOW) in Vista 64-bit world for me...

Excellent! Glad to hear that.

• Bookmark Topic Watch Topic