aspose file tools*
The moose likes Jobs Discussion and the fly likes About Salary History Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Careers » Jobs Discussion
Bookmark "About Salary History" Watch "About Salary History" New topic
Author

About Salary History

Vyas Sanzgiri
Ranch Hand

I think everyone is stating the obvious fact over and over and over again. Lets not do that and respect the thread not hijack it. Let us add value to the discussion!!

===Vyas Sanzgiri===
My Blog
Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand

This is why I did not post further.

Sandeep
arulk pillai
Author
Ranch Hand

but is it?? --- I really doubt that in India.

Not only in Idia, but this is a case in other countries as well. This is why you will have to prove yourself really well in the interviews. You will have to take control of the interview, in a nicer way of course.

-- Firstly, try to understand the problems and challenges the prospective organization is facing. Their requirments, etc. When you get an opportunity through open-ended questions, narrate how you solved similar problems or added real value in your past jobs using the SAR (Situation-Action-Result) approach. Prior to every interview, try to relate every key area I have described to your relevant experience. Also, keep in mind that you have to promote yourself as a well-balanced professional with both technical and soft-skills.

-- Prepare a portfolio prior to your interview as per Andy's suggestion to differentiate yourself from your competition.

-- You will have to sell yourself. Don't over do it.

-- I am sure that not all employers will buy into this approach. That is why you need to increase your chance to get multiple offers so that you will be in a hot seat to pick and choose.

I am sure that people have done this in India.

Java Interview Questions and Answers Blog | Amazon.com profile | Java Interview Books
ankur rathi
Ranch Hand

I didn't read the whole post so sorry if some one already raised this point.

In India, it's way normal for an employer (ever consultants) to ask for your current salary. In fact, it is prime factor that decides your next salary.

I don't have any fact for this but this is TRUE, again, at least in India.
Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand

I am saying this again and again. But the discussion moving back and forth on same things again and again. Vyas even went ahead and said
Vyas Sanzgiri wrote:
This is an assumption. When I used to work in India, I had no such questions.

I can believe that you are asked your current salary but you kept it confidential. But it is hard for me to believe that you were never asked your current salary in your selection process.
Now the discussion is diverted on how to better perform in interview or how to have multiple offers to negotiate on salary. I am afraid to say, that is not our discussion.

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: About Salary History