File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes health care debate Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "health care debate" Watch "health care debate" New topic
Author

health care debate

Steve Luke
Bartender

Paul Clapham wrote:Edit: Another thing I recall reading somewhere -- don't remember where -- is that one of the best things that could be done for small businesses in the US would be for the responsibility for employee health insurance to be taken off their backs. And I think there's something to that. I work for a US-based company and their health-care costs for Canadian employees are considerably lower than the equivalent costs for US employees. Just another reason to outsource the jobs...

This I agree with, I think it is one of the major reasons large companies go bankrupt, and small business don't grow larger. A 'fixed' system needs to take the cost off of the employer. So it goes to the health care 'consumer' either via the government and taxes, or via more direct routes like I have above. I liked the term you used when you said 'why employers have to be the primary conduit for health insurance' The employer as a conduit is a good one, but I am thinking more of a paying conduit - the individual pays, the employer acts as a negotiating partner for their employees and takes the cost out of the employee's paycheck prior to the income tax and gives it to the insurer.

Steve
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal

Paul Anil wrote:Interesting to see the effects of cultural/developmental differences between US and India. How do you know that what you have is a minor cold/fever/virus?

Definitely interesting. Most of the illnesses you listed are pretty much unheard of in the US. I'm vacinated against TB. The others are things people just don't get. If there was any chance of cold/virus symptoms being any of the things you listed (say I just got back from an international vacation), I'd certainly want to go to the doctor. The symptoms of many illnesses certainly start out the same. While I had known that rural areas in India have more diseases, I tend to think of the people who post here as living in cities more. And some of the things you listed, I wouldn't have thought of even then.

Paul Anil wrote:you can buy insurance just for

Interesting. Ala carte insurance. I like that idea on first read. It prevents you from having to pay for things you don't want insurance for. And declares to the insurance company they won't have to pay for it. I say on first read because I haven't spent time thinking it through yet.

[Blog] [JavaRanch FAQ] [How To Ask Questions The Smart Way] [Book Promos]
Blogging on Certs: SCEA Part 1, Part 2 & 3, Core Spring 3, OCAJP, OCPJP beta, TOGAF part 1 and part 2

wood burning stoves

subject: health care debate