wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Avatar Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of EJB 3 in Action this week in the EJB and other Java EE Technologies forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Avatar" Watch "Avatar" New topic
Author

Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand

Mike Simmons wrote:...I will be seeing it again in IMAX.

This was my first experience of IMAX but its effect comes to attention only when something actually happens to camera otherwise it's ok. but still it is definitely better than 2D as screen size is bigger.
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender

I swear I had to check three times to make sure this wasn't a story on the Onion...

There are only two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors
ankur rathi
Ranch Hand

Ernest Friedman-Hill wrote:In general, I loved the experience, and I love what it means about entertainment in the future. There really are no limits anymore as to what we can see on a screen.

What I didn't like were the places where imagination didn't go far enough. Why are the aliens so similar anatomically to us? Yeah, they're skinny and blue and tall and what, but they have two hands, two eyes, two ears, and as far as I could see, two breasts as well, all in the same positions they occupy in the human species. The other animals on the planet have multiple eyes, random numbers of limbs, joints that bend the other way, but the intelligent species is way too humanoid. What nearly spoiled it for me was the kiss. She seemed to understand it immediately. They kiss? On the lips? Really?

Do you suppose the idea is that we wouldn't sympathize with the characters if they were less like us? What if they had twelve limbs and eyes all over their torsos -- would that have spoiled the movie? Was identifiable human sex appeal essential to mass acceptance?

But why they can't look like human, which looks more reasonable to me?
ankur rathi
Ranch Hand

Mike Simmons wrote:No previews at my theater either. Neener, neener.

By preview, do you mean trailer?

If yes, I just love them. I try to reach before time so that I don't miss them.
Mike Simmons
Ranch Hand

Vikas Kapoor wrote:
Mike Simmons wrote:...I eagerly await sequels.

What do you expect in sequel? Another human invasion? or Invasion of Navi to planet earth for revenge?

I would imagine the humans will try again to acquire the unobtainium, sure. They'll return with more resources and the element of surprise. Na'vi attacking Earth would be extremely unlikely for a number of reasons, starting with their lack of spaceships. And audiences wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much, since we wouldn't get to see as many cool sights on Pandora, which was a main part of the appeal of this movie.
Mike Simmons
Ranch Hand

ankur rathi wrote:
Mike Simmons wrote:No previews at my theater either. Neener, neener.

By preview, do you mean trailer?

Yes.

ankur rathi wrote:If yes, I just love them. I try to reach before time so that I don't miss them.

Well, I usually like watching trailers too, as long as there aren't too many. But for a movie as long as Avatar, I'm happy to skip them, just so I'm not sitting in the seat as long. Also, nowadays easily you can view trailers online for any movies you're interested in. So there's less point to seeing them in the theater.

I suspect that whether you see trailers, and how many, is probably determined by how much spare time does the theater have to fill. That is, I think they first and foremost try to schedule as many showings as they can in a single day, to maximize profits. (Especially for a big movie on opening weekend.) In some cases, N showings will fit into the total available time almost exactly (allowing for some minimal amount of time between showings - whatever they need to rewind the film and swap out audiences). In this case, there's no additional time for trailers, so you don't see any. But if N showings still leave spare time in the schedule, the theater will then fill that time with trailers, spread throughout the day.
Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

Mike Simmons wrote:I suspect that whether you see trailers, and how many, is probably determined by how much spare time does the theater have to fill.

You'd think. Except there was a line filling up the common areas waiting for our showing to end so people could sit down and fill the theater for the next showing. Which got less of the "Regal First Look" stuff because there wasn't enough time between showings.

"First Look" is commercials that come before the previews.

[Blog] [JavaRanch FAQ] [How To Ask Questions The Smart Way] [Book Promos]
Blogging on Certs: SCEA Part 1, Part 2 & 3, Core Spring 3, OCAJP, OCPJP beta, TOGAF part 1 and part 2
Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

Given the discussion about why kissing isn't the Pandora way, I expected to see someone comment on the deleted "sex" scene. The quotes are because it's only sexy to the aliens. It's very safe for us humans.
raj malhotra
Ranch Hand

I feel very strange when Hollywood moovie name is based on Indian origin word Avatar while at the same time Indian movie is coming with english title like 3 idiots and both setting box office record.
Christophe Verré
Sheriff

I'm late for the party. I went to watch it last Saturday. I was a bit concerned by wearing 3d glasses over my everyday glasses, but after a few minutes I got used to it. 3 hours of amazing 3D experience. Incredible. One minus point was that the script translation of the Na'vi language was written vertically (Japanese) on the upper right of the screen, which was difficult to look at. (Which might be why I ended up with a headache !)

[My Blog]
All roads lead to JavaRanch
Christophe Verré
Sheriff

I hate Colonel Quaritch, but I like the way he talks What's his accent ? Texan ?
Pat Farrell
Rancher

Ernest Friedman-Hill wrote:Do you suppose the idea is that we wouldn't sympathize with the characters if they were less like us? What if they had twelve limbs and eyes all over their torsos -- would that have spoiled the movie? Was identifiable human sex appeal essential to mass acceptance?

I think so. There has been zero "likable" aliens from Hollywood that were not essentially humanoid. Even the aliens in Galaxy Quest had vinyl over-skins so they looked human.

I think this is fundamentally a failure of imagination of the writers and directors. But perhaps they have tested it and the audiences don't accept them.

I don't need twelve limbs, but are there no six legged aliens?

There is a bit of a challenge if you want your alien to have eyes, there are only a few places that make any evolutionary sense. Octopus have their eyes between their legs, but most animals have them on their head. And nearly all have their eyes on either the sides (if prey) or front (if predator)

Having the women aliens be sexy is a tradition. Look at the women elves in LOTR.

Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand

Christophe Verré wrote: (Which might be why I ended up with a headache !)

I also got headache. This was my first IMAX 3d experience.
(There are two 3d options: IMAX and Real D)
sandeep lokhande
Ranch Hand

I have seen this movie twice and i want to see this one more time,
Its really fun.

Thanks and Regards,
Sandeep Lokhande.

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Avatar