aspose file tools*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Laptop: which brand to choose? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of EJB 3 in Action this week in the EJB and other Java EE Technologies forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Laptop: which brand to choose?" Watch "Laptop: which brand to choose?" New topic
Author

Laptop: which brand to choose?

Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand

Pat Farrell wrote: If @bear was using Winders, I'd suggest trying the latest Ubuntu, its very good. But since he's in the gravity attraction field of Sir Steve, he can't reach escape velocity.

Bear, you're not a sales person of Apple right?

Apart from that , We are getting released from the monopoly of MS little by little and I don't want to fall in to monopoly of Apple. I guess everybody want to see open market and tight competition.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

"monopoly of Apple"? Seriously?

[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Pat Farrell
Rancher

Bear Bibeault wrote: I still mourn VAX/VMS. Windows failed miserably.
You can mourn VMS, I mourn the better os that VMS chased out of the world: Tops-20 or Tenex.

My wife has Leopard on a Mac book in the living room, and it occasionaly does stuff that is simply inexplicable. I'm sure a true Mac user would not find this a problem, but she has used Windows on PCs, and its not all obvious. She goes back a long way, she worked for Honeywell programming their mainframes back before Multics.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Interesting. Even within DEC, I never heard anyone mention TOPS-20 with fondness.

Can't say myself as it's one of the few DEC OS's I never used. I cut my teeth on RSTS, RSX-11M, VAX/VMS (later OpenVMS), Ultrix and OSF/1.
Pat Farrell
Rancher

Bear Bibeault wrote:Interesting. Even within DEC, I never heard anyone mention TOPS-20 with fondness. Can't say myself as it's one of the few DEC OS's I never used. I cut my teeth on RSTS, RSX-11M, VAX/VMS (later OpenVMS), Ultrix and OSF/1.
That's because (1) it was NIH (not invented at DEC) and (2) ran on PDP-10 hardware in Marlboro, not 11/vax in Maynard. The 11 folks hated both Tops-10 and Tops-20. Sadly, the RSX folks grew up to make VMS, so they refused to re-use any of the good stuff in the 36 bit world.

And of course, VMS begat NT, which got renamed into Windows 2000, XP, Vista, etc.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Pat Farrell wrote: ran on PDP-10 hardware in Marlboro, not 11/vax in Maynard.
My exposure was in Tewksbury, where I sat for a time right outside a PDP-10 data center. The colorful language was mostly from the operators.

the RSX folks grew up to make VMS...
I know -- I was part of that group (at that time, a hardware guy).

And of course, VMS begat NT, which got renamed into Windows 2000, XP, Vista, etc.
Well, sort of. Dave Cutler tried his darnednest to get some of the best ideas from VMS into NT but was only moderately successful. The Windows camp had more pull when it came to a lot of the important decisions.
Monu Tripathi
Rancher

Finally I bought MacBook Pro ( 13" inch disp. 2009 Fall release: Intel 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, 2 GB DDR3 RAM, 260GB HDD, nVidia 9400M graphics with 256MB shared memory]

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, appreciate it.

Cheers!

[List of FAQs] | [Android FAQ] | [Samuh Varta]
Pushkar Choudhary
Rancher

Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost you?
Monu Tripathi
Rancher

Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost you?

The actual cost was 56,900 INR but they were offering 6-7% rebate for students; so final price came down to 53,480(inc. VAT etc.)
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Is this a good deal?

Especially I would like to know if the 1280*800 screen resolution is good for a 15" screen??

SCJP 1.4, SCWCD 1.4 - Hints for you, SCBCD Hints - Demnachst, SCDJWS - Auch Demnachst
Did a rm -R / to find out that I lost my entire Linux installation!
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Monu Tripathi wrote:Finally I bought MacBook Pro ( 13" inch disp. 2009 Fall release: Intel 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, 2 GB DDR3 RAM, 260GB HDD, nVidia 9400M graphics with 256MB shared memory]

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, appreciate it.

Cheers!

Are you sure if it is a 260GB??? I guess it should be 160 GB???
Monu Tripathi
Rancher

Are you sure if it is a 260GB??? I guess it should be 160 GB???

Yes, I am pretty sure.
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

I thought Mac Book Pro comes wiht only two HDD options, the 160 GB and the 250 GB. What you say (260 GB) is totally on the contrary. Are you sure?? Can you send me the link to the website or the shop where you bought the machine?
Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Marshal

Pat Farrell wrote:You can mourn VMS, I mourn the better os that VMS chased out of the world: Tops-20 or Tenex.

When I was an undergrad, the computers we had access to were a pair of TOPS-20 systems. I wrote my bachelor's thesis on those machines using a program called (I believe) "WPSIM", or "Word Processing Simulator". I remember TOPS-20 with some fondness, actually -- I loved the detailed command-completion in the shell, the likes of which I've never seen on another system.

God, the number of hours I wasted playing ADVENT and ZORK on those computers, late at night when I should have been studying. Beat both, eventually. Good times.

[Jess in Action][AskingGoodQuestions]
Monu Tripathi
Rancher

I thought Mac Book Pro comes wiht only two HDD options, the 160 GB and the 250 GB. What you say (260 GB) is totally on the contrary. Are you sure?? Can you send me the link to the website or the shop where you bought the machine?

You now, have confused me if it is 250 or 260 GB but I am pretty sure it is not 160GB.
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:
Jesper Young wrote:
I like Mac OS X also because it's a Unix-like OS, which feels less messy to me than Windows.

Why not Linux. Ubuntu 9.10 looks awesome on my Thinkpad. I see the Thnikpads as real business class machines intended for office and as well as home.

I have used several versions of Ubuntu on my old Dell. While Ubuntu is generally a nice OS, it was never as smooth and problem-free as Mac OS X on my MacBook Pro. With every version of Ubuntu there was at least one annoying issue: the microphone not working, wireless networking not working at the highest speed, graphics not working properly, suspend and hibernate not working etc.

Most of the time workarounds can be found (except for suspend/hibernate, I've never got that to work), but it does require that you are prepared to put in some time and learn how to fix stuff.

For my work I need a stable and reliable OS, I don't want to be hacking with that stuff on a machine that's critical for work.

Java Beginners FAQ - JavaRanch SCJP FAQ - The Java Tutorial - Java SE 7 API documentation
Scala Notes - My blog about Scala
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

You guys owning a Mac Book Pro, can you please comment on the heat dissipation? I mean when I connect my Thinkpad to an external projector and play movies on the projector screen while I work on my project in my IntelliJ IDE and I often find that when I do this, my machine gets extremely hot. Though I do not feel the heat on the palm rest but my lap can feel that. Did anyone try this using a MacBook Pro and if not I would like to know how hot a MacBook Pro would get when you operate it under full load?
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Monu Tripathi wrote:

You now, have confused me if it is 250 or 260 GB but I am pretty sure it is not 160GB.

Can you send me the link to the shop where you bought your MacBook Pro?
Monu Tripathi
Rancher

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:
Monu Tripathi wrote:

Can you send me the link to the shop where you bought your MacBook Pro?

Bought it from Imagine Store in Kakade Mall, Moledina Road, Pune. I don't have a store link but they are among the few authorized dealers.
ankur rathi
Ranch Hand

[Continue discussion in your other topic rather than spreading it out to here as well.]

permaculture playing cards

subject: Laptop: which brand to choose?