File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Web Component Certification (SCWCD/OCPJWCD) and the fly likes Cultural errata in HFSJ Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of The Java EE 7 Tutorial Volume 1 or Volume 2 this week in the Java EE forum
or jQuery UI in Action in the JavaScript forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Web Component Certification (SCWCD/OCPJWCD)
Bookmark "Cultural errata in HFSJ" Watch "Cultural errata in HFSJ" New topic
Author

Cultural errata in HFSJ

Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand

Bert Bates wrote:

A fella could die from being too politically correct. There's a point at which political correctness backfires.

I think the point that Larry has brought up (and also the one that I noted about Office) does not exactly fall into politically correct or incorrect category. Calling a Black person as African American is being politically correct. You were factually correct even when you called him Black...just not politically correct. Equating Diwali with Halloween is factually not correct (now, whether that was really done in that show is a different discussion) or (as per Larry) juxtaposing Kung Fu with Black Belt is factually not correct.

My gripe (in this thread) is not with political correctness but with factual incorrectness. Some factual incorrectness may also be political incorrectness. I am guessing this is what Larry is also trying to convey.

Enthuware - Best Mock Exams and Questions for Oracle/Sun Java Certifications
Quality Guaranteed - Pass or Full Refund!
Bert Bates
author
Sheriff

Hey Larry,

When we designed the Servlets book we were thinking of future books using a similar b-movie approach. We had considered:

- a 60's surfer, beach theme
- a bad sci-fi theme
- a film noir theme

And so on. The Servlets book was just the first.

But the point is this, from a metacognitive perspective, we felt that the absurdity mixing of a kung fu master (or a surfer dude, or a sci-fi robot or whatever b-movie characters), with a high-tech topic, would be good.

We weren't slamming anybody.

hth,

Bert

Spot false dilemmas now, ask me how!
(If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much room.)
Larry Chung
Ranch Hand

Paul Anil wrote:My gripe (in this thread) is not with political correctness but with factual incorrectness. Some factual incorrectness may also be political incorrectness. I am guessing this is what Larry is also trying to convey.

Yes Paul. You are exactly right.

There are a lot of Michael Scotts in the world and we need to deal with them one day at a time.

SCJP 6
Prithvi Sehgal
Ranch Hand

Bert Bates wrote:Well, we're happy to make 'errata level' fixes, and I'm open to hearing what else concerns you, but I doubt we're going to make wholesale changes to the book. Let me explain why...

Well quiet an interesting thread i must say. Larry has brought up some very fine points which we all might have missed or still missing i think so.
First of all, i would like to write my experience about Head First Series

1- The books are an excellent reference. I really enjoy reading their series. Many times i don't understand a point, i refer to Head first series immediately.
2- Writing a book in a funky way and keeping all kinds of audience in mind is a great effort and i think so it's a great effort made by authors.
3- On whole i simply love the whole series.

Now these are my comments about the series. Now as Larry pointed out as the cultural issues are concerned and how students took offense of
those pictures is understandable. It can be either ways, may be they are having a very rigid mind-set, or they are very sensitive to the cultural
things which i seriously think they are. But is that wrong to get sensitive about your culture or just to express your opinions? I mean being offensive
we can't term as they are really really angry. They are just expressing what they think and their way of expression is that, they are a bit angry over
a certain thing, which they don't feel is correct. I think so we all should be very open to other people opinions.

Ofcourse Bert was very very understanding that he can make a few fixes in the up coming release. Can i give a suggestion here?

Can someone define, What is the definition of a book?

It's a document which every author writes from their years of experience as Kathy and Bert wrote. A book is an experience of someone's
life. Do experiences stop? No i don't think so. As you keep progressing with time, you meet different situations and you grow up. Same is the case
here. Today there is one situation which has come up and someone pointed out something. What can we do about it?

I think so all should try to come to a WIN WIN SITUATION.

If it was my book, i will definitely include one section in the beginning like 'Experience with Audience'. In that section, whenever i get some feedback
prior my release or someone points out something, i will put it as an experience in that section. Then give my reasoning about it. I won't go and completely
fix my book as Bert already mentioned.

Now many Authors will argue here. This is not a standard. That's not how Professional books are written. Nobody does like that.

I agree. But why we are here? To change certain rules or styles may be. What this section will give to my reader? This section will give to my reader,
that my dear audience, i hear you. I am as sensitive about my subject as you are sensitive about your culture. I was there, i heard your opinion and that's
my answer to it. What else it can give to the reader. It can make the reader feel, that yes the Author was so much flexible that at least he heard our opinion
and understands our concern. It will attract a hell lot of audience i believe and you all can term it not as a book, but a document which not only gives you a
complete technical knowledge but makes it sure, that authors are very close to their audience and do address their concerns. I think it is a WIN WIN situation
and keep in mind such kind of column cannot be termed as an apology note that we are justifying ourselves. Not at all. Before someone brings up this point,
i would say, it is your experience. It is how you see the matters. It can be very very attractive also i think so and will add a lot of value to the book as well.

If someone says, addition is a concern. Then i think so few additions which are really pleasent and touching some issues which someone has not touched before
makes you distinct among the league. Yes another reason can be, when we write a book, we put a foreword, thanking all people who helped reviewing, giving
their feedback and all. Can't something be similar for audience as well?

In the end, it is my opinion, as i am myself a sensitive person and take and look at life as an experience.

Good luck,

Prithvi,
My Blog, Follow me on Twitter,Scjp Tips, When you score low in mocks, Generics,Scjp Notes, JavaStudyGroup
Bert Bates
author
Sheriff

I think Prithvi has made an excellent suggestion.

When we next update the book we'll put in a little discussion of the use of the kung fu characters and the movie to make sure that no one is offended.

Thanks,

Bert
Walid Abd Elsalam
Greenhorn

Just use Chuck Norris

SCJP 6 85% - SCWCD 86%
David Newton
Author
Rancher

When Chuck Norris goes into the ocean he doesn't get wet--the ocean gets Chuck Norris.
Prithvi Sehgal
Ranch Hand

Bert Bates wrote:I think Prithvi has made an excellent suggestion.

When we next update the book we'll put in a little discussion of the use of the kung fu characters and the movie to make sure that no one is offended.

Thanks,

Bert

I really appreciate Bert that you took whole of this discussion in a very graceful way. I really appreciate your spirits as an author.
I would say thanks to Larry for pointing out such fine issues.

Good luck for the next edition

Warm Regards,

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.

subject: Cultural errata in HFSJ