• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Worried about java

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

What you say is not true. Java is a language found to address real world applications. Thats the plus point in java. Moreover Java is very fast and less complicated when compared to C++. More development tools have been designed using Java. There is no way that java has less scope in software industry

Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Nothing you have said addresses anything I said: I never said it wasn't used, I never said it wasn't less complicated than C++ (in fact I said it *was* less complicated), or that it had less scope. I also said it was fast--but it used to be as slow or slower than Smalltalk. I have very specific issues with Java--if you want to address those, okay, but stick to things I actually said.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
20 years ago they were saying that programmers would not be needed soon.

David Newton
Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Richard Golebiowski wrote:20 years ago they were saying that programmers would not be needed soon.

And most people that knew anything laughed at that too.

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Richard Golebiowski wrote:20 years ago they were saying that programmers would not be needed soon.

When my dad started working as a COBOL programmer, around 1970 (40 years ago!) there were already people telling him there wouldn't be much future in being a programmer, because programming languages would soon become so sophisticated and easy to use that business people would just be able to tell the computer what to do.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

True, atleast in my view. With the kind of outsourcing and off-shore development atleast programmers would not be needed in developed countries..... soon.

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Another cool language:
Three cool things about D

D claims to be the next thing after C or C++

Designed from the start for concurrency and correctness.

On "programmers are no longer needed": Right. I'm holding my breath. That claim has been made every year since Von Neumann. I am not impressed with the "improvements" that have been made to programming and programming languages in this century. Where is the creativity? Where is the leap in productivity?

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Here's my biggest problem with Java and teaching it to someone new to programming:

The learner barely knows what a class is, let alone static anything. Then there's the worst example of method naming in println. I hate when people leave out vowels. And it's not even camel cased correctly.

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think part of the lack of innovation is because of the web. While web development can be intricate and there are obviously exceptions to what I'm about to say, for the most part, web development isn't difficult and most often trivial. Frameworks have taken over where languages should have progressed.

David Newton
Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Pat Farrell wrote:Where is the creativity? Where is the leap in productivity?

You don't see Clojure, for example, as a move forward? Even Scala is a step in the right direction.

The leap in productivity has more to do with the developers than the languages and environments anyway, and that's always been the case.

David Newton
Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Gregg Bolinger wrote:Here's my biggest problem with Java and teaching it to someone new to programming:

Fixed.

Java's a poor language for encouraging organic exploration.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh! i can't accept that .

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

David Newton wrote:Nothing you have said addresses anything I said: I never said it wasn't used, I never said it wasn't less complicated than C++ (in fact I said it *was* less complicated), or that it had less scope. I also said it was fast--but it used to be as slow or slower than Smalltalk. I have very specific issues with Java--if you want to address those, okay, but stick to things I actually said.

I am not sure if Aravind was talking about your post. Perhaps he was agreeing with you while addressing the OP's question

Oh! i can't accept that .

Accept what ?

Depends on what you mean: verbosity is most certainly one type of complexity. The more there is to take in the more cognitive overhead there is. The more the problem is being obscured by the solution the more cognitive overhead there is.

One of Java's greatest weaknesses (to me) is that every solution looks like Java--not like the problem I'm trying to solve. This is somewhat alleviated by static imports, foreach, etc. but remains wrecked by reflection and lack of first-class functions. Workarounds require enough additional code to make the tradeoff questionable.

Yes my thoughts are pretty much aligned with your comments. Less verbosity while using foreach loops is good. There are cases where less verbosity is not desirable. EJBs during their initial days were very verbose. Many classes and a confusing deployment model. Code in general can also be made verbose by writing everything in the same method. This is why I try to split the method calls to chunks. For example I try to use descriptive method calls that do minute tasks instead of writing the code inline. I like to write code as though it reads like a story.

Something like that. One could argue that writing many small methods makes the code more verbose. The other way to look at it is that the method names make it easier to understand what is going on.

David Newton
Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Deepak Bala wrote:[One could argue that writing many small methods makes the code more verbose.

But it couldn't be argued very well, since the number of moving parts is nearly identical.

Deepak Bala
Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

David Newton wrote:

Deepak Bala wrote:[One could argue that writing many small methods makes the code more verbose.

But it couldn't be argued very well, since the number of moving parts is nearly identical.

Yep. The only difference would be the extra lines that would define each method, which is justifiable to support the positive outcome of improved code readability. I have had some folks ask me why I have so many private methods inside some of my classes.

David Newton
Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Arun Giridharan wrote:Oh! i can't accept that .

Accept what? That Java isn't a good language for organic exploration?! If so, you'll need to back that up with something other than simple disagreement, and figure out a way to refute common sense and experience. Java is a *terrible* language for exploration, because it takes too long to explore, and there's too much ceremony. In a language with a REPL people can just *begin*. With Java there's *way* more to it just to get *started*, let alone doing anything useful.

Try this experiment: drop a kid in front of a computer and tell him to start having fun in a Java environment. Now tell him to start having fun with, say, Logo. Now go off and read the studies of using Logo in the classroom and check out what *kids* are doing, then tell me how much luck they'd have doing the same thing in Java. Then perhaps you'll understand what I'm trying to say.

Ever see Why's Ruby-based interactive learning environment? That's just Ruby. In order to even get close with Java you need to go with something like BlueJ, and even that is targeted at high school and college age students. Java is neither designed, nor appropriate, for introductory programming instruction. Nor advanced programming instruction, because you simply cannot *teach* some concepts with it that you can with many other higher-level languages.

Ranch Hand
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jesper Young wrote:

Java the language is not very complicated at all, and it's much simpler than C++ (which does have a lot of intricate pitfalls). I don't see the need for a language that's "simpler" than Java. If it's not the language itself he's talking about, but the ecosystem around it (with the thousands of libraries and frameworks) - that's what I regard one of the greatest strengths of Java: you can get a library or framework for anything, and you often have choice between multiple implementations.

If Go would ever become popular, then it will grow as well, new language features will be added and lots of people will be writing libraries and frameworks in it, and after a while it will be just as "complex" as Java. I see that I'm not the only one with this idea:

I agree with jesper young , Java was meant to be object oriented for solving real world problem and real world things are organic and they keep on developing as situations arise , so I think java has many things ie it is complex and same will be the process with go , it will grow .

Arun C. Giridharan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

David Newton wrote:

Arun Giridharan wrote:Oh! i can't accept that .

Accept what? That Java isn't a good language for organic exploration?! If so, you'll need to back that up with something other than simple disagreement, and figure out a way to refute common sense and experience. Java is a *terrible* language for exploration, because it takes too long to explore, and there's too much ceremony. In a language with a REPL people can just *begin*. With Java there's *way* more to it just to get *started*, let alone doing anything useful.

Try this experiment: drop a kid in front of a computer and tell him to start having fun in a Java environment. Now tell him to start having fun with, say, Logo. Now go off and read the studies of using Logo in the classroom and check out what *kids* are doing, then tell me how much luck they'd have doing the same thing in Java. Then perhaps you'll understand what I'm trying to say.

Ever see Why's Ruby-based interactive learning environment? That's just Ruby. In order to even get close with Java you need to go with something like BlueJ, and even that is targeted at high school and college age students. Java is neither designed, nor appropriate, for introductory programming instruction. Nor advanced programming instruction, because you simply cannot *teach* some concepts with it that you can with many other higher-level languages.

IF you have better imagination ..... please let us know ! !

David Newton
Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Arun Giridharan wrote:IF you have better imagination ..... please let us know ! !

I have no idea what you're saying. If you have counter-examples, counter-studies, or anything to add, please feel free to do so.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic